VR Performance Tweaks & Tips

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Thomas Jansen, Apr 19, 2019.

1. Maarten

Maarten Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    Revision: 2020-08-13

Oculus Rift CV1 (OpenComposite)
    i5-9600K @ 5.1Ghz / GTX 1080ti
    Supersampling: 1.4
    ASW: Off

Display: 1
    Display mode: 16:10
    Resolution: 1920x1080@60Hz
    VSync: Off
    Fov: 1x

Toggle Mirrors: On
    Track Level of Detail: Low
    Car LOD Distance Setting: Low
    Particle Detail: Low
    Tiremarks: On
    Specular: Off
    Car Reflection Quality: Low
    Track Animations: Off
    Shadows: Off
    Car Shadows: On
    Contact Shadows: 32
    Shadow Split: Off
    Multi-Sampling: 4xAA
    FXAA: Off
    Bloom: Off
    Depth of Field: Off
    Motion Blur: Off
    Motion Blur Quality: Low
    Lightshafts: Off
    Lens Effects: Off
    Track Texture Quality: High
    Car Texture Quality: Medium
    Rear View Mirror Quality: Low
    Shader Quality: High
    Corner Markers: Off
    Visible Cars: 32
    Opponent Cockpits: Off

You need a fast CPU to run VR properly, but you need a decent GPU as well. It's not true that raceroom does not use your GPU.

Some settings I changed using the NVIDIA Profile Inspector:
    inspector_use-1.4SS_goed.png

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2021
  2. 2farback

2farback New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for in game settings and I will start with the suggested settings. It was so distracting to the point of unplayable with everything shimmering. I will let you know later how things turn out.

3. 2farback

2farback New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Happy to report cleaned old drivers installed new ones and changed to suggested settings with small tweak and looks good. Now I can enjoy driving and not constantly adjusting settings

4. fl0wf1r3

fl0wf1r3 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +235 / 0 / -0
    Okay, I found the solution I have a 32:9 Monitor. I have to change the resolution manually in advance before starting in VR. Field of view for instance is set automatically to 1 but not the resolution.
    but how about the refreshrate for the monitor while in VR? 60, 120,144hz does it matter?

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
  5. fl0wf1r3

Ratings:
    +235 / 0 / -0
    what is actually the best sound setting for VR? couldn't find anything about this. In the menu of Raceroom one can select "stereo, headphone, Dolby Surround" etc. does it matter for the headset or not? i have the Valve Index. thanks

6. Maarten

Maarten Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    Revision: 2021-02-05 (settings in progress)

HP Reverb G2

System
    i5-9600K @ 4.9Ghz (AVX)
    GTX 1080ti

SteamVR General settings
    Resolution per eye 2840x2772 72% (100% looks way better, but my GPU can't handle it, below 70% makes it noticeably blurry)
    Advanced Supersample Filtering: On
    Overlay Render Quality: LOW (not sure yet)

SteamVR per Application settings
    Motion Smooting: Disabled
    Use Legacy Reprojection Mode: On (means Async = Off)

Raceroom Graphic Settings (These are just settings for your monitor, so these may differ)
    Display: 1
    Display mode: 16:10
    Resolution: 1920x1080@60Hz
    VSync: Off
    Fov: 1x

Raceroom Custom Graphic Settings
    Toggle Mirrors: On
    Track Level of Detail: Low/Medium (probably need LOW on some tracks)
    Car LOD Distance Setting: Low
    Particle Detail: Low
    Tiremarks: On
    Specular: Off
    Car Reflection Quality: Low
    Track Animations: Off
    Shadows: Off (Never ever turn on shadows in VR!)
    Car Shadows: Off (Use contact shadows for this)
    Contact Shadows: 32 (this also paints a simple shadow under cars)
    Shadow Split: Off
    Multi-Sampling: 4xAA
    FXAA: No (softens it too much)
    Bloom: Off
    Depth of Field: Off
    Motion Blur: Off
    Motion Blur Quality: Low
    Lightshafts: Off
    Lens Effects: Off
    Track Texture Quality: High
    Car Texture Quality: Medium
    Rear View Mirror Quality: Low
    Shader Quality: Medium
    Corner Markers: Off
    Visible Cars: 32
    Opponent Cockpits: Off (think this is only for replays)

Tips
    • Turn off "Time Progression" (Set to "0") for better performance
    • Disable WMR virtual monitors: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Holographic <-- new key "PreallocateVirtualMonitors"=0 [DWORD]
    • Make sure your room is well lit, no direct (sun)light. Use the flashlight tool to see what your headset sees. The more features the room has the better. It's also best to not have stuff like walls close by.
    • Use fpsVR to see your performance in game, only look at CPU latency! GPU latency in raceroom is not shown. CPU latency = CPU+GPU latency.
    • Disable presence sensor in the WMR settings, my G2 sensor jitters, and causes big performance issues, because WMR constantly detects on/off.
    • Disable "Hardware Accelerated GPU Scheduling" in windows, this only seems to cause performance issues in raceroom.

You need a fast CPU to run VR properly, but you need a decent GPU as well. It's not true that raceroom does not use your GPU. The higher you set the resolution, the more load you get on your GPU.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2021
  7. fl0wf1r3

Ratings:
    +235 / 0 / -0
    godrays are quite visible in certain conditions, while driving its fine since we can not drive in the night ^^at night time they would be more obvious. Currently I'm trying to get AC to work with my Index. Raceroom looks quite ok I have to say. Even though the performance is bad because its single threaded. The sweet spot is quit crucial and you need to position the head set right. The difference between my PSVR and the Index isn't that big image quality wise. I expected a bigger step. The tracking is good and teh sound. The loudspeakers are working great.

8. Maarten

Maarten Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    Thanks. I would have expected a big image quality improvement too. Was considering the index but the price is just unreal. At the moment I use the rift cv1, racing with is really great, but the image quality is not that impressive.

9. Badgerous

Badgerous Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +223 / 0 / -0
    Did something happen to the SteamVR or Oculus software over the last ~2wks(ish)?

I had no issues with RR at all to the point where I wasn't even aware what settings I was running tbh (it just looked and ran great out of the box with 20+ GT3/DTM field), but something happened recently that's triggered a cascade of performance issues. I've now been stuck in a frustrating loop over the last few days of endlessly trying different settings with mixed results, and always with a gut feeling that it just looked/ran better before.

On a side note, what do people set their standard video settings to be? At one point I believed I found the issue to be the desktop side of things running in a windowed/borderless mode, but no matter how many times I set that option to be fullscreen, it just reverts back to windowed/borderless when I run the VR version.

10. Maarten

Maarten Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    Did you try my settings and a clean video driver install as suggested above?

11. Badgerous

Ratings:
    +223 / 0 / -0
    Clean drivers are this evening's job. I'll try those settings as a starting point, but what ever I had before was way beyond that (decent shadows, stable image/framerate, 20+ cars etc..), so something's changed somewhere.

I'm just curious if anything's known to have changed.

(i7 9700, 32gb, RTX 2070)

12. fl0wf1r3

Ratings:
    +235 / 0 / -0
    For simracing you "only" need the headset and one basestation. I didn't buy the whole package. Currently I'm stoked by the fact to sit in the car and not in front of a canvas. I have the psvr too but didn't use it since a year mainly because of motion sickness. No clue what makes the difference with the index but I can drive with almost no issues. Even spins are fine. Driving backwards however hurts my stomage. Driving at night on the Nordschleife is simply amazing :)

Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
  13. Badgerous

Ratings:
    +223 / 0 / -0
    I tried clean drivers last night, but they made no difference.

After some more methodical testing I can fairly confidently say that it's the shadows that are for some reason now tripping me up. With shadows turned off I could run 1.5x SS, 4x AA, most other things on med/high, and 20 cars at Spa flawlessly.

As soon as I turn shadows to 'lowest' I get horrific stuttering (particularly on that first corner) that just wasn't there a couple of weeks ago. I was starting to make ground with a compromise, but it was getting late.

14. Maarten

Maarten Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    @fl0wf1r3
    Ah ok, didn't know you just need one base station and don't need the controllers, thx. You said the image quality was not that big of a change, the upgrade for me would be around 1300 euro's because I need a psu/gpu upgrade as well to be able to handle the bigger resolution.

@Badgerous
    Shadows is one of the settings with the biggest impact, so if something's not right that will show it. I don't know your computer skills, so maybe you already checked this:
    • Your CPU or GPU throttles down when it gets to warm. Check you cooling fans in your computer for operation or dust blockage. (or maybe your room temperature is higher now due to central heating)
    • Check your task manager for (background)tasks that consume resources. (disable antivirus/windowsupdate/searchindex)
    • Don't know if you checked your fps with the oculus performance monitor or just by feel. maybe the ASW setting changed?
    • If you use the OpenComposite dll, check if it's still being used.

15. Badgerous

Ratings:
    +223 / 0 / -0
    @Maarten
    Ta, I was checking task manager yesterday, but nothing too out of the ordinary was noticeable. By way of comparison, AC was still silky smooth so I'm ruling out any wider hardware/PC issues for now.

I've a mild suspicion with ASW, but I don't know enough about it to test it thoroughly. I do wonder if before I was actually looking at 45fps with ASW cleanly bumping it up, and now for some reason that's playing up and I'm expecting the same results at 90fps. I've not needed to track fps (on any title) so far, so it's all been by feel. Maybe a recent SteamVR update has messed something up?

Open composite's on the list to try, but I want to exhaust other options first.

This is all bad timing - My Aiologs sequential shifter arrived today. :)

@fl0wf1r3
    My stomach used to churn in reverse as well - Such an odd feeling. I've well and truly got my 'sea legs' now though.

16. fl0wf1r3

Ratings:
    +235 / 0 / -0
    I expected a bit more progress in terms of resolution and clarity. I only have the PSVR for comparison. Sure its better but still stresses my eyes because of the blurriness in the distance

17. Maarten

Maarten Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    I've compared the specs and seen videos of a lot headsets. They all have their drawbacks. Looks like we are still in the first generation of headsets. We really need things like foveated rendering to be able to run high quality. The game must support it too probably. The quality of the cv1 up close is ok, distance is the problem, so if that's the case with the index too..... all that said, I really really enjoy driving in VR and don't want to go back to a monitor.

18. Badgerous

Ratings:
    +223 / 0 / -0
    I'm the same in regards to not wanting to go back to a monitor.. Some annoyance aside, VR really is a game-changer for racing that I can't go back on.

I've read/watched good things on the HP Reverb recently, specifically it's resolution/clarity, but the WMR software really puts me off here. It's bad enough with SteamVR vs Oculus.

I'm also running a CV1, and while it has it's limitations, I can't really argue with the £350 it cost me when compared to the cost to any potential 'upgrade' at the moment. It's great to see momentum behind it all though, and I'm sure there's some exciting stuff in gen 2.

19. Gazza

Gazza Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    Are you using super sampling?

20. fl0wf1r3

Ratings:
    +235 / 0 / -0