VR Performance Tweaks & Tips

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Thomas Jansen, Apr 19, 2019.

1. FormelLMS

FormelLMS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    Running all Raceroom related apps with the help of @Sebastien Brunier batch program.

But I have the problem, that Raceroom starts then very pixelated in my headunit.
    When starting normally via steam shortcut, everything is fine.
    Has someone an idea, why it is pixelated when using the batch? Overlays are not affected from this problem.

2. Maarten

Maarten Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    Try to start the game with the batch file, then launch the oculus debug tool to see if the super sampling is set correctly.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Sebastien Brunier

Sebastien Brunier Active Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    It shouldn't, try the check suggested by Maarten, there could be a problem with the file path or something to pass Oculus arguments.

4. FormelLMS

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    Thx @Maarten @Sebastien Brunier Oculus DebugTools has gotten it's settings to 1.45
    I've seen on Monitor, that it is there pixelated, too.

This is the line from batch file:
    start "R3E" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steam.exe" -applaunch 211500 -vr

5. Sebastien Brunier

Sebastien Brunier Active Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    You just need
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steam.exe" -applaunch 211500 -vr

you don't need to call it with a start, it sometimes needed sometimes not depending on the program itself.

• Wonderful Wonderful x 1
  6. FormelLMS

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    Ahhhhhh, thats it. Thank you very much!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Balrog

Balrog Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +466 / 0 / -0
    Might be a stupid question, but is it possible to adjust the cropping on the mirrored image? I like to record the mirrored screen because it's a bit smoother and also the HUD stays in place, so it's easier to review the races, but it would be great if I could move it a bit lower.

8. Maarten

Maarten Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    Maybe I don't understand what you're saying, but I think the resolution of the mirrored image is equal to the headset. If it was possible to crop it, it would have a performance impact because it has to be rendered again in the cropped resolution. So I don't think that's possible. (assumption)

9. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +170 / 0 / -0
    Unfortunately not, unless there's some hidden settings in a file somewhere which I don't know about. I have to record direct from the headset to overcome this issue, which is not ideal because you can't really see the HUD during playback.

The resolution of the mirror is whatever you have it set to when running pancake R3E. For me that's 1920x1080. When running VR it means the centre of the view in the mirror can be too high or low, so the mirror ends up looking at the sky or dash while driving.

In OBS I also record in 1920x1080, and the cropping feature allows me to place this "window" wherever I want on my VR view. It means I can centre it on my view out the windscreen. A way of doing this within the game on the mirror view would be ideal because, as Maarten said, it means the HUD would be fixed.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
  10. Shodan

Shodan Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Yesterday I tried a race in VR and had terrible stutter. I ragequitted (also had an annoying constant vibration on wheel issue that sometimes starts suddenly).

Afterd drinking a scotch and calm down I tried some settings. I found that only when turning shadows off completely I had buttersmooth 90fps VR. It's like a switch for stutter free gameplay. The lowest setting already gives enormous stutter.

I play with opencomposite and have a 2700x and 2070 super card. Did something change in the recent past? Can't remember this awfull stuttering with shadows half a year ago.

Anyway happy I found out, but it is the biggest impact on graphical effect as well. But smoothness>graphics for sure.

11. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +170 / 0 / -0
    I imagine the "stutter" is your headset switching between 90fps and 45fps when you hit shadow-heavy areas. I have shadows set to high and get no stuttering at all, though my rig is pretty much locked to 45fps in R3E.

12. Shodan

Shodan Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    It is more a constant stutter / judder in areas where there are lots of cars and in certain locations. So I don't think it is the switching itself. ASW forced 45fps also does not help. Perhaps it is my opencomposite or something. I will do some more tests tonight. At least I have a way of testing it and the shadow off / lowest really is an on/off switch (@start of the race).

13. Balrog

Balrog Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +466 / 0 / -0
    Don't know which headset are you using, but SteamVR's motion smoothing makes wonders for me in R3E when FPS drops under 60.

14. Shodan

Shodan Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    I use Oculus rift CV1 so to my mind steamVR itself is not the way to go for me. I already use opencomposite. Not sure if it still works, but steamVR is never started, so that leaves me to believe it is doing it's thing.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +170 / 0 / -0
    It's definitely the way to go if it works, from what I hear... I can't use it being on Win7. That said, it may be worth trying SteamVR anyway just to eliminate OVR as a potential culprit.

16. Shodan

Shodan Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Yesterday did some tests. I actually removed raceroom completely and did a fresh install, just in case. I also removed the opencomposite. But it's all the same: shadows really kill performance and only on "off" I can have a smooth experience (with other cars, hotlapping is perfectly fine). I think I will just live with it, it's not so bad. I did see that going to a track like Nordschleiffe 24h there is still stutter on some places on the track when there is a lot of traffic (20+ cars). I guess I should simply not expect an allways smooth ride and have to wait for the grid to disperse a bit.

However, I am having a complely different other problem unrelated to performance: exagerated vibration in the steering wheel with WTCR 2018 cars, which I was just so excited about to try out.

Too much troubleshooting lately, gonna give it a break for a while.

17. Badgerous

Badgerous Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +223 / 0 / -0
    You're going through exactly what I went through a couple of weeks ago. I had a buttery smooth game, something happened, and I then had a horrific stutter all over the place.. (also on a 2070, but with an i7 9700). That kicked off the hours of soulless testing (also tried uninstalling/reinstalling everything), and I came to a similar conclusion re shadows which just weren't an issue before. :(

I'm now back to a solid 90fps with shadows, and (depending on full race or hotlapping) between 1.2-1.5ss.

It's hard to say what the specific change was that worked for me, but I switched from SteamVR to OpenVR, and set the following settings in the Oculus Debug tool. - I never got around to trying traytool.
    - Pixels Per Display = 1.2 to 1.5
    1.2 gives me a faultless grid of 16-20 cars should I want to actually race, else 1.5 for hotlapping/practice with ~10 other cars for fun.
    - Adaptive GPU Performance Scale = Off.
    Not sure what to say on this one as it was something I tried towards the end of my painful testing loop.. It works for me.
    - Asynchronous Spacewarp = Disabled.
    I wanted to remove ASW from the equation, and wanted to maintain a solid 90fps anyway.

With those settings above I turned on the performance/FPS counter and played with the in-game settings to get a solid rate. I forget what they are without checking, but IIRC the important settings are something like:
    4xMSAA
    Low Shadows
    Medium Shaders

I'm curious if the above helps you out at all, as I never really got closure on why mine worsened in the first place.

18. Shodan

Shodan Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the
    Thanks for trying to help, unfortunately it does not work. Shadows kill everything now. My 980 / i5 2500k PC performed better than my Ryzen 2700x 2070 super... Quite disappointed in this.

19. BrianBosch

BrianBosch Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +129 / 0 / -0
    I think the recent cause of the stuttering in VR (SteamVR running Oculus CV1) has to do with an SteamVR and/or Oculus update? I never experienced stuttering and my in R3E game video settings are exactly the same before and after the update.

Now - since a couple of days- I also notice stuttering especially when a 'new' part on the track first has to be loaded into memory. E.g. Nordschleife. When you restart the stuttering for the part of the track you've already driven does not stutter anymore.
    Maybe something to do with RAM memory allocation in combination with VR usage? Not sure but I think it has nothing to do with R3E itself (I also noticed this with other racing sims which you have to start with the usage of SteamVR in stead of Oculus SDK mode).

I think a lot so if I'm thinking in the complete wrong direction feel free to correct me ;)

20. FormelLMS

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    I'm a bit unhappy. With the latest update I can't reach my 80 FPS in my test environment anymore (okay, it was between 70 and 75 at the start.

Settings are the same as from @Thomas Jansen in this thread and they worked well before as I've said. Now I'm down to 50/60 FPS on the start with my 40 GT3 car on VLN Nordschleife, starting with place 18.

I've did a complete clean run for all of my settings (deleted the whole SimBin Folder), but can't get the 80 FPS back.

I've changed nothing. No Windows Update, no Nvidia Update or others...

:( :( :(