Reality Blender - Real time mixed reality in VR

Discussion in 'Community Workshop' started by Berno, Aug 18, 2018.

1. Berno

Berno Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0
    Reality Blender will allow you to see your surroundings on a 2D overlay inside your VR headset! Use camera feeds and Chroma key to blend your surrounding environment into VR to create a mixed reality allowing you to enjoy the best of both worlds.

If you mount a camera to your VR headset and put up a green screen Reality Blender can display your cockpit in real time in VR as a 2D overlay.
    I consider this the first step and of course the future goal is to have stereo cameras giving us full 3D video of our pit while in VR.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/844060/Reality_Blender/

• Like Like x 6
  2. Olijke Poffer

Olijke Poffer Active Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    Awesome.... love the ELite Dangerous solution.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Thomas Friedrich

Thomas Friedrich Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192 / 0 / -0
    This looks really awesome and promising. I will try this out for sure!!!:)

4. Berno

Berno Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0
    Thanks!
    It is cool in Elite but I find the best immersion comes when driving something with a stick shift like the Group 5 cars!
    I tried to make a video of me driving the Zakspeed Capri with Reality Blender but my driving was way too rough to upload.
    Was fun tho :)

5. Berno

Berno Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0
    Reality Blender open beta branch has been updated with early support for 3D overlays via stereo cameras.
    https://steamcommunity.com/app/844060/discussions/0/1642044369663273755/

The stereo image isn't perfect yet, lots of work to do but it is a starting point.
    Marcel P was kind enough to test for me as I do not have a rig or a valve index.
    Reported performance was good but stereo image needs improvement to prevent cross eyed feeling and headaches:

• Like Like x 1