AI Behavior

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Frost, Sep 16, 2019.

1. Hervé45

Hervé45 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +135 / 0 / -0
    I play with adaptive AI

2. MattStone

MattStone Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +169 / 0 / -0
    I think you must have your Ai set too low!
    At zandvoort I find they are still too fast on exit from the last corner, all other corners feel like they are similar to my entry and exit speeds. My ai is set to 115

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    I did a lot of air battle on wheels today, first Group 4 ( a new favourite combo of mine) on the new Chinese track whose name I still cannot memorise, and then again at Bilsterberg. Holy moly, especially in China, with the maximum of cars possible on that track, what an action orgy everyhwere! Dont get me wrong, the cars did not shoot each other off, but I was CONSTANtly in fights with 5, 6, 7 cars simultaneously, they kept coming from the left and from the right, really it was like a huge air battle on wheels, in old fashioned propeller machines. A constant give-and-take, and constant posiitons chnages. Fantastic. I enjoyed it tremendously, this was some of the best AI racing I have ever seen in my life so far. I was unable to tell that it were no humans, but AI drivers. Chaos. Kind of well-behaved chaos, with rule sin it,. but still: chaos. Wreckfest - just without wreck in it. For my driving needs, skill level 98, its perfect. I could not miss MP with this AI even if I were determined to miss it.

Maybe there are the occasional hotsports on this or that track where the AI needs recallibration, like the Salzburg problem I posted yesterday. But in general nothing is wrong with it. The best seems to have gotten slightly better again.

And it were not even races with a start at the beginning - it were trackday-designed training sessions, with cars entering the frenzy from their boxes!

Superb.

• Like Like x 2
  4. dene

dene Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Yes, only 105, I am not so fast :D ...when I got to 110 it was better, its true, but then I had problem to stay with AI times consistently lap per lap. Just now I had race at Sonoma on 105 AI level and not noticed sector with abnormaly slowly AIs. Btw, whats a race, pure massacre with permanent battling :D I really love this sim now

5. MattStone

Ratings:
    +169 / 0 / -0
    @dene give the adaptive ai a try as it will find the correct ai level for you after about 5 short races

• Like Like x 1
  6. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -0
    I'm have great fun with the Ai and however Ai on Adaptive dont seem to want to pass slow cars ! Its like there doing the old AC Ai thing where if a car slows they just play follow the leader for many corneres before one passes then the next waits and it continues like this :( Mixed grid with Touring classics , 92 DTM , Group 4 .

Edit: turns out it happens on fixed strength Ai (107) also , its kind of like a virtual safety car in F1 ! , i was driving (in race) down back straight of Moscow when the 3 cars in front of me suddenly slowed for no apparent reason , i slowed and followed only to find a car had spun past the second corner !! ( how did these cars on the back straight know this car 2 corners ahead was spun ??) When we finally passed this spun car it still took another 100 odd meters before we picked up our pace .

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Hygge

Hygge Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    Not to impressed by the new ai unfortunately.

As I stated before in this forum - the ai before the 10th july update was the best ai I have experienced in any sim racing.They raced and passed each other. Leaders changed all the time. This was very fun when you have Crew Chief active and you would hear "xxx is now in the lead" more or less every lap. If you passed an ai car they would come back and fight again so you always had to be on your toes. It never felt static or like they just followed each other.

The problem with ai now is:
    They don't fight as much except in some corners so it feels more static and they most of the time just follow each other. And when they try to pass they often carry to much speed spinning off or colliding with the car they try to pass resulting in yellow flags. At Imola there are often yellow flags in the hairpin and in the last two corners before the start/finish straight. They also have problems in the first two corners. When they do pass it's often because the car in front has problems with a specific corner like Aqua Minerale or the hairpin after so the following car can pass due to a mistake. This is of course fun if it happens a few times but it seems this is the only way the ai can pass another car now except some corners where they - as I said above - carry to much speed and pass the car in front by taking it out if they don't spin off themselves.

Just to watch how they behave I did a couple of races at Imola with only 3 or 4 GT3:s and stayed behind them for the whole race.
    The races were more or less static and not much happened before some car became over optimistic and took out the car in front in the hairpin or the last to corners. This happened every time after a few laps.

I have also tested to do a couple of races against 19 ai but the constant yellow flags due to spin-offs and collisions also ruined the races.

I have confidence that this will be sorted in future updates but I just wanted to share my thoughts and hopefully the devs will find time to look at this soon.

8. MattStone

Ratings:
    +169 / 0 / -0
    When not racing with a mixed grid the AI work great! lots of passing and dicing all over the place so it must be something to do with the mixed grid I guess

@Hygge
    Yeah they have to do a little more tweaking on some tracks but I'm finding the AI is much better now at defending, attacking and braking. I'm finding the racing is much much closer now and so far I'm not getting knocked of the track, turned around or rammed from behind like I was before the update

I'm currently racing the Porcshe 911GT3 Club and I'm having a blast. It's taking about 4-5 5 lap races to train the AI but once trained they are giving me some white knuckle racing I've ever had with R3E

I've started this thread here to report where the AI are crashing out; with some tracks they're just crashing on the first corner and then after that they are pretty good

That tracks I've had the best fun on so far are Autodrom Most, Zandvoort, Red Bul and Zhuhai

I only race AI so I'm keen to have them tidy up these AI crashes but I feel that this current AI is the most realistic. S3 are so close to nailing the AI

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
  9. dene

dene Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    I think it is more realistic now. In real racing drivers do not risk dnf or even destroy the car. Compared to ACC for example, there is still a lot of AIs action in Raceroom. What I see a huge progress, AIs respects the human driver massively. When I do not risk pointless stupid overtaking in dangerous turns, there are no incidents in the race practically.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. anno900

anno900 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    It is good to that ai is now slower in those fast corners and better at braking. That was claimed in other posts already. Did not have time for tests yet. But Spa and Road America was no fun due to those fast corners where ist always lost tenth. Even when AI slowed down behind me and I had full throttle they overtook me at corner exit. So good to hear that S3 was working on that as Well. What I read it is a hack of an Update. Well done even I could not test it so far

11. dene

dene Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Yes, Raceroom AI is the best of sims what I tried (AC, ACC, AMS). Raceroom AI is close to real racing philosophy - more tactical driving with gradual building opportunities for attack. That 's why it's more satisfying for me than multiplayer racing with push-push everywhere and everytime approach, because a lot of people think that race wins in the first corner.

12. Hygge

Hygge Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    I agree in the sense that I also prefer more sensible ai and I find it more realistic. The problem is however that in certain corners that mentality doesn't seem to apply. Overall they are more cautios but then in some corners they seem to get too aggressive and take opponents or themselves out. It's easy to test and see. As I said I fired up a few races in a row at Imola with 3-4 opponents and just followed the to see how they behaved and in every race there were certain corners where they spun off or took another ai out. So I think and hope it will be sorted as they continue working on and tweaking the "new" ai.

13. Hygge

Hygge Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    Just did som more testing on Imola with GT3.
    I did a 20 lap race with 6 ai. I just followed them to see what happened.

Lap 1 - one car spins off in Tamburello. No contact with another car.
    Lap 4 - one car spins off in Rivazza. No contact with another car.
    Lap 6 - one car spins off in Tosa. No contact with another car.
    Lap 10 - one car spins off in Variante Alta. No contact with another car.
    Lap 18- one car spins off in Tamburello. No contact with another car.

So of the 20 laps I drove and just stayed behind to watch, one after another spun off leaving just one single car that managed the 20 laps without spinning. Then there were other yellow flags and where I heard Crew Chief reporting that a car had gone off so some cars evidently spun off more than once. The last laps when I followed the only remaining car I could see that he lost grip out of more or less every corner. If it hadn't been that I wanted to stay behind just for testing purposes I could easily have passed him in almost every corner. This also meant that the car who won had a margain of about 18 seconds to the next car (apart from me)

It seems from this that they have problems with the grip which makes them spin off very often. Whether it's due to physics, setups or ai programming I don't know but I just wanted to share my testing because something is wrong. Prior to the July 10th update I had done a lot of races and only occasionaly seen cars spin off. Hope the devs will look into this.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. dene

dene Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Same at Zolder in Kleine Chicane. In my GT4 1 hour race (full grid) maybe 7-8 spins, yellow flag and big chaos.

• Like Like x 1
  15. fbiehne

fbiehne Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +110 / 0 / -0
    Saw lot of AIs spinning or brake too late at Imola and Nürburgring (fast chicane).

16. wsimonds04

wsimonds04 Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    For what its worth, I just finished a 50min mixed race at MOTORSPORT ARENA OSCHERSLEBEN. I'd say that 95% of the yellow flags were at the tight turn 1.
    The race as a mixed field (championship race) consisting of Porsche 911 GT3, WTCC 19 (which I drive), Audi TT16.
    90% of the spins were caused by the Porsches. If I followed them into turn 1, it was like they had way too much speed. Its a tricky turn, as you have to brake in straight line, so maybe part of their problem is their braking when 'Not' in a straight line (speculation).
    Also, just to point out something a little odd. I also ran a championship race at Moscow earlier today (same cars as noted above). At both Moscow and Oschersleben, the WTCC cars finished far ahead of the GT3 cars. The GT3 Porsches were faster in a straight line, but in pretty much EVER corner, they were sideways, and almost out of control. This allowed the WTC cars to pass within the corners, or just coming out of them.
    Anyway. I find it greatly improved, but yes, there are areas that still need work.

17. Alex Hodgkinson

Alex Hodgkinson KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +1,948 / 0 / -0
    @wsimonds04 Porsche GT3 or GT3 Cup?

What AI strength did you use too?

18. MattStone

Ratings:
    +169 / 0 / -0
    It's a good point as I think I can see a pattern in that the higher the level the more they spin; I'm driving the 911 GT3 cup

19. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -0
    92 DTM Ai keep spinning at Salzburgring in race through first corner (chicane) every lap one goes wide onto grass and spins causing chaos. Adaptive Ai.

20. wsimonds04

wsimonds04 Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    I'm only at 99% AI strength.

Its the Porsche GT3 Cup

• Useful Useful x 1
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2019