Released BMW M4 GT4

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by RaceRoom, Nov 11, 2019.

1. rd.king

rd.king Active Member

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    As you have stated here that you are taking requests.
    Please bring us the GT4 Mustang.
    Please Please Please.

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +102 / 0 / -0
    Man, this car ist pretty unrewarding, "close" to the limit, one tenth to late with turn-in, and it ploughs like a John Deer! :D
    But very stable in the first place, i have to say.^^

Edit: Pretty decent pace on Nürburg GP fast chicane :) ...but Laguna...no feeling for the line at all with the M4 i can't get into guestimating, how much room i have between wheels and these horrible apex sausages...

• Winner Winner x 2
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2019
  3. BrianBosch

BrianBosch Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +129 / 0 / -0
    Wow you beat the 2:04 barrier. Well done! Very close with Denis. I feel a challenge coming up :D. If possible I'll try to improve my time as well and also enter the GTR4 competition as suggested by Denis (thanks for that. Was not aware of the new challenges, should check more often...)

• Like Like x 1
  4. Beastux

Beastux Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +281 / 0 / -0
    Well done, Lars! I tried to beat the 2:04 barrier yesterday evening but you did it before me (well, I hope I'll do it! ;)).

• Like Like x 1
  5. fireballr18

fireballr18 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +75 / 0 / -0
    I was sure, if Lars enters he will not rest until he is on no1. :D ;)

I will try to improve my time this evening. Some tenth are still possible. Probably I've chosen the wrong livery :cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. BrianBosch

BrianBosch Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +129 / 0 / -0
    Now I know why I drink beer in stead of wine. I don't like cork screws.

Laguna Seca is a challenging and fun track. Knew it from other sims now also took the challenge in R3E.
    Don't be afraid to take the curves with high speed. Still a lot to learn for me. Both tried the BMW M4 and the Porsche Cayman 718. I think an extra second is do-able but not today (family and some other sport events)

• Funny Funny x 2
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2019
  7. BeefMcQueen

BeefMcQueen Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +183 / 0 / -0
    As suspected, the typical 1-2 seconds slower than Monsieur Gicquel. Could it be that the m4 doesn't like slow corners very much? No matter how soft I make the front, I get into understeer very quickly. I am also often thinking about whether the second or third gear would be right for some sections...
    Any tips - driving or setup wise - are very much welcome.
    Nice thing is I know exactly what my three problems are called : first, second and third sector. Each of them weighing half a second :p

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. CrimsonEminence

Ratings:
    +102 / 0 / -0
    Turn in veeeery early, use excessive trail braking and don't brake too late, force it, to turn in, use every bit of track if possible and sometimes 3rd is okay, much torque in the mid-range, but in the "Dunlop Kehre" for example, it helps, to smash in 2nd right before the apex, to pull it in towards a second apex, to let it turn a bit more, helping to push it right out of the corner. Turn TC down very much to stage 5 and maybe give it 4%ish more, if you feel uncomfortable with the push over-/understeer)

This car gains massive amounts of time, with the right line, a bit too late on the corner, and you'll end up loosing momentum everywhere, when hitting an apex successfull, let it accelerate as free as possible, this front engine still tries to pull you off the road.

Front spings too soft, and it bottoms out, costy for time, front dampers too soft, rears very high -> uhm...i think, do it, it helps, to get it to turn better, experiment with differences between bump and rebound.

I found it better, to have a bit higher bump, than rebound on the rear sometimes on laguna, for example. (But i'm not getting the line right, yet wrong turn-in points, wonky braking points, so i have no reliable information yet.)
    Also camber around 4 on front tyres helped me. 4.1 on front and it starts turning into a drift car, i got the feeling, i found it very interesting, how small setup changes make it react different, this is not the old R3E anymore, in my opinion, something special has happened :)

This car is a fantastic race car, very, very driver friendly on longer runs, but on Hot Laps, it is enraging :D and pretty hard to balance on personal and "physical" limits. Respect for the drivers, that are fast with it everywhere!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. fireballr18

Ratings:
    +75 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for paying me that nice compliment :D:D:D

• Creative Creative x 1
  10. BeefMcQueen

BeefMcQueen Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +183 / 0 / -0

Thank you so much for tons of very detailed information! Have to try out that double apex line in Dunlop Kehre. And I definitely have to be more precise with earlier braking and turning in. I only wish that car would rotate some more under trail braking. Love the new Cayman for having that characteristic.

• Like Like x 1
  11. fireballr18

Ratings:
    +75 / 0 / -0
    Gained 4/10 during a few laps. There is a lot of potential in this car by using throttle and brake pedals in the corners in a certain way. Not braking too much, expect for t1 and take the speed with you when focused on the apex. Just trust in the rotation skills of the car. This is the recipe to be the slowest one here :D

12. CrimsonEminence

Ratings:
    +102 / 0 / -0
    The places, where i gained the most, before even getting close to 2.4, are in the Mercedes Arena/Yokohama-S (go as tight as possible in the tight left-hand corner, then it is even possible, to take the right hander after it full flat), RTL-Kurve (trailbraking is helpful, avoiding track limits on this annoying right Kerb) and especially in the entry and exit of Warsteiner Kurve (smoothness helps a lot).

13. Beastux

Ratings:
    +281 / 0 / -0
    Oli, I won't give you any setup tip as I use the stock setup :). But this car is heavy, powerful, with a long wheelbase and it needs to be driven according to these specifications.

As Patrick said, you can play with TC to try to fight understeer but, in contrary to Patrick, I feel that very late braking suits this car well (with trail braking, of course).

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. CrimsonEminence

Ratings:
    +102 / 0 / -0
    I think, you meant me? i'm not Patrick. I'm Lars :D

Braking late works, but not *too* late, is what i meant, or it will end in "push" (if that makes sense) understeer all the way through the corner. Many drivers often make this mistake, thinking, that pushing the brake point further forward is always a good idea, but it always depends. :)

15. Beastux

Ratings:
    +281 / 0 / -0
    Sorry, I mixed two answers!

You're right, accelerating soon is more efficient than braking late (but doing both is the best way to be fast :D).

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. CrimsonEminence

Ratings:
    +102 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, you can also brake slightly later, than the GT3 cars, it is no problem, but for myself, i tend to underestimate, how fast the GT4 are already going and noticed, that before i hit 2:04s straight, i was demanding a bit too much from it, compromising the exit a little bit.

You can even see on the delta that, when getting a fast entry, steering too much after apex, to keep it on line and compensating for the will of the car to push outside, while exiting the corner, it starts holding back or even dropping time.

I think, if you would make your car more agile by setup, you could go even faster, the car is holding back some turn in. The default is pretty nice and stable, i would even use it for racing events, but dropping the wing and making it a bit more oversteery alone, already brings a bit more drivability.^^

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Beastux

Ratings:
    +281 / 0 / -0
    I will try some tweaks next week but I don't find too many flaws in the stock setup for the moment. I just decided to use the Cayman GT4 CS MR in the Laguna Seca competition because I find it more nimble for this track but the M4 with a good setup could be a challenger...

• Like Like x 1
  18. CrimsonEminence

Ratings:
    +102 / 0 / -0
    I also think, a mid and even a rear engined car (thinking of other classes) is superior on Laguna, but for some weird ego-driven reason, i want to improve with/on the M4 :D

I'm usually not that much of a hot-lapper, i'm more into sprint racing stuff, but from time to time, there is a hunger for challenging a track and car alone until pain and frustration kicks in :D

• Funny Funny x 2
  19. fireballr18

Ratings:
    +75 / 0 / -0
    I could drive this car hours and hours and hours. Sonoma fits perfectly to the attributes of the M4. A lot of weight transfer and the s-curves are freakin awesome!

2/100 behind @BrianBosch on the Ring. Good work :)

• Like Like x 2
  20. Gopher04

Gopher04 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +237 / 0 / -0
    I Love this car, but a couple of things bother me about it, first the gearing, the only place you need 6th is batrhurst and that is purley because it's down hill, also how much should we expect a difference when the rear wing is adjusted? as I've used all the possible adjustments on it and it made no difference what so ever..

• Dislike Dislike x 1