Released December Update

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by RaceRoom, Dec 11, 2019.

1. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    As I said earlier, spinning cars do not necessarily mean that ALL car classes flip out on messy tracks. Gt3 so far, as just one example, did no hatm
    I am having issues with the new Porsches as well, as reported, while a few other other car classes do not give me worries at Salzburg and Falkenberg, where the Porsches are a PITA.

A cross-referencing of cars versus tracks maybe would be helpful to identif any pattern or cluster, allowing easier tracking of what it is in the physics that the aI cannto handle on certain tracks.

Have developers said anything anywhere on the issues? I do not read all the forum all day long.

Also, I noted that at Salzburg some cars do not work, others do, same at Falkenberg. its not as if all cars are broken on a critical track.

2. RicardoBR

RicardoBR New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I don't see any problem with the AI. Actually, it's behaving like human beings, because human beings make mistakes once in a while. Even in formula 1 drivers make mistakes. Speking only for myself, I like when AI spins or crashes once in a while, because I do that too.
    Maybe I'm not as skilled as you guys (I'm really sure I'm not), but I don't see anything wrong with the AI. Two days ago I raced a 50 minutes F4 race at Road America. Started 2nd in the grid and after a couple of mistakes (all on me), I finished 13rd. The AI was superb during those 50 minutes as few AI drivers made mistakes but most of them didn't. Just like real life.
    Maybe I need more time racing or I haven't found yet the problems you've found. I'll keep you posted. ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. fbiehne

fbiehne Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +110 / 0 / -0
    Nothing against AI making mistakes but you begin to wonder when these mistakes happen at the exact places again and again, sometimes even lap after lap. I think that’s not how it’s meant to be.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. RoccoTTS

RoccoTTS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +534 / 0 / -0
    What is the opinion of Billy Strange, who has real life race experience, of this new update ?

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  5. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    @RicardoBR

Practice in Salzburg. Cars leave the pits. AI car spins during the exit of the first right-left chicane at the end of start-finish straight. White flag when i leave the box and get there a few seconds later. I manouver arorund the sitting car blocking the track, and then do the lap. I come to the point in lap 2, white flag, same car stll sitting still. I drive around it, and complete my lap. Lap three, white flag, same car still sits there. I decide to gently push it out of the way, off the track. When i am lucky, the car manouvers back on track and drives on, when I had bad luck, the car drives on track and blocks all traffic once again. In case of scenariro one, I accelerate and get away. In the rear mirror I see another AI car spinning, and blocking the track. Next lap I come to the place, and it is a white flag, same procedure as before.

Saw this with two different Porsche classes. Did not saw it with GT3. Its car dependent.

Ssame symptom at the first chicane at falkenberg, plus here many cars systematically overshoot.

Racing this way is IMPOSSIBLE. You can do trackday events this way, which I do most of the time and thats why I did not immediately noticed, or better: cared for these issues. But having a race this was is impossible. Its like doing a Nascar race all under yellow flag.

I am all for humane imperfection in the AI, and the occasional error that makes it appear human, ahd the race event more dramatic and entertaining. raceroom always did a great job in right this. But currently, the aI is seriously broken with some car classes on certain tracks, at certain turns. It also tends to take lines off track on some tracks, and overshoot in certain turns. It know Raceroom since five years. This is not the normal state of things. Something is seriously broken.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  6. fireballr18

fireballr18 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +75 / 0 / -0
    We all know, ai is a challenge to get it work properly and no testing team can check all combinations of cars/tracks/difficulties and more parameters as it is sheer endless.

But it is not running fine at the moment, and this is a fact which becomes clear very quick. I'm not even sure if I would state there is an improvement in general to what we had before the big patch had been released.
    Not an offense to our developers cause I'm sure they worked hard for this new approach and I hope things will get sorted with the following iterations.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. RicardoBR

RicardoBR New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I understand your point, but I wouldn't go that far. As I said, I didn't notice anything wrong YET. As you pointed out, there are problems with specific classes at specific tracks. Those kinds of issues are addressable by the devs and don't mean that the whole AI is broken. It just needs a fine tuning on specific tracks/cars.
    My experience (that is for sure much less than yours, as I returned to RaceRoom a month ago) is that AI behaves nicely - maybe because I use the Adaptative AI, I'm not sure.
    I haven't tried Salsburg with a Porsche as I'm racing a F4 Championship after I did the same with F-Junior (and I dare say I'm loving it). Then again: I haven't found the problems you had because I haven't raced on the same class/track you did.
    So, you have a valid point that should be addressed by the Devs, but I see it as a fine tuning. I hope the Devs think the same.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    There are more tracks affected. See one or two oages earlier, somebody listed some more.

The issue most likely is the AI having issues with the dramatically changed physics and FFB, in some cars this causes havoc. And it is breaking the race.

Also, that a car just sits on track and sits and sits and sits lap by lap by lap and does not get warped out of the way after some countdown, is a big issue.

Strange role change here. Usually I am the one defending the AI in RR against claims that the AI slams into player's car or does something overly aggressive. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    We think we found the cause of this particular issue.

AIs spinning (like at Salzburgring t1-2) is also being investigated but might end up requiring more work as it seems to be very class dependent, as you guys already noticed.

• Informative Informative x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  10. nickyjj2011

nickyjj2011 Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    Hi AI is great apart from some tracks at the start of the race almost all of them spin out on the first corner must be a bug.

11. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -0
    It's happening every race for me then the other Ai are just parking even well before the incident (they can't even see the spin), i don't mind a spin once In a whole but it's how the other cars deal with it that is my problem.

12. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Solving an issue takes more time, we understand that, but it would be helpful to know which cars the testers and the team find to be affected, so that players can look it up and avoid such car classes meanwhile, until a solution arrives. In other words: a simple list with car names sounds like a good idea to me.

And a follow-on question: could you confirm that it is not caused by tracks, but only by cars, may it be physics or AI or both? Means: there is no track that makes every car class freak out in pirouette frenzy?

13. wsimonds04

wsimonds04 Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    As an FYI with regards to cars spinning off, and white flags. Just finished 70min race at Imola (WTCC19, Audi TT15, Adaptive AI).For the final 30minutes of the race there was a white flag at the final corner (Rivazza). Total of 3 cars had gone off and stayed there. I believe (but not positive) that they were all WTCC's. Crew chief told me multiple times that there were also yellow flags there, as other cars went off.

Thanks for all he efforts you guys put in to make this right.

14. fireballr18

fireballr18 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +75 / 0 / -0
    Same on VLN-layout of Nords. Different cars were involved: WTCR19, GT4, Cayman Trophy...parked at the "Kurzanbindung".

15. keanos

keanos Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +136 / 0 / -0
    Question: Why is there not even one word about the ratingsystem in this forum?

Betatester spread those Infos in other forums (copied from discord), but not a single word about it here.

Is it still NDA? Is it forbidden to post about it here?

16. Juttie

Juttie New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Anyone having issues with screen resolution as I have not changed anything now screen all zoomed in and cannot get to options screens etc as cannot see icons

17. wsimonds04

wsimonds04 Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    I occasional have that issue, but I figured it was just me, as I'm using a TV instead of a monitor. I've just rebooted, and it was back to normal

18. Juttie

Juttie New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Nope restarting does not help

19. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    While I agree that such a list would come in handy, I'm afraid we won't be able to provide one. By now there are 53 car classes and 86 track layouts in RR, so the number of possible combinations is just too great for us few testers to check manually.
    However, the whispers in the dark sounded like the devs might be trying to go for an automated approach to identify those problematic classes. Note that this is not an official announcement of any sort, so please wait for the official word on the matter.
    I can confirm that the issue is not related to any particular track. As far as we can tell it looks indeed like it depends for the largest part on how the AI handles the class physics.

• Informative Informative x 2
  20. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Thanks, clear answers to simple questions, much appreciated!

Also good to hear that appartently indeed every car class gets now tested on every track, like I suggested some days ago. With this info status now I think many people will be willing easier to stay patient.