VR Performance Tweaks & Tips

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Thomas Jansen, Apr 19, 2019.

1. fl0wf1r3

fl0wf1r3 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +235 / 0 / -0
    That sounds good. I have to give it a try tonight. I use the - vr tag as well. VR still feels pre beta in steam :)
    But 2.0 is probably too much in combination with the Nordschleife. Bathurst, Bilster Berg was fine, 20 cars 90fps. I remember that the Nordschleife had problems without vr as well when driving along the Mercedes arena and towards back to the RTL-Kurve, massive frame drops . But I didn't know that not starting steam vr in advance makes a difference? The problem is without vr it's not the same anymore. The BMW M4 feels and sounds so good

Last edited: Dec 16, 2019
  2. FormelLMS

FormelLMS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    I want to try to drive with ASW now.
    So I can crank some settings up.

For now my best settings are complete full of near everything except shadows on low, SS 2.0

So to all VR Users: what do you say. Let the settings as it is, or is it better looking with more shadows. What can I dial down to get it working? What is a setting where you say, that it is something what we can't see in VR. Reflections on maximum? Shader on maximum? Car or track details?
    Or is a higher shadow setting not needful and I could let it go.

Decision, decision. Help me guys.
    First world problems, I know :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  3. Maarten

Maarten Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    On page 10 I've posted my max settings to run smooth. Track detail to medium and the shader to medium is pretty important to me. But it's all personal preference. For me I'd rather have lower settings and asw disabled.

4. FormelLMS

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    Yes, I prefer that, too, but I want to try those settings, too.
    Thank you!

5. fbiehne

fbiehne Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +110 / 0 / -0
    I have to enable ASW 45fps in the Oculus Debug Tool now to have a better experience.
    Since the opencomposite.dll isn’t working anymore the performance in VR has gotten worse again.
    I have nearly all setting set to medium in the graphic options and the shadows to minimum.
    In the start options in Steam I have set -vr 1.0.

6. FormelLMS

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    Why is it that low and why can't you use OpenOVR anymore?

7. fbiehne

fbiehne Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +110 / 0 / -0
    I tried to launch Raceroom via the opencomposite last weekend and got an error message. It worked all the time before that but now it seems to be broken. Perhaps I made a mistake or missed something?

I set it that low to gain fps again in VR. It really is a shame because I love this sim with its content but it kills my computer in VR.

8. FormelLMS

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    Yes, I have those FPS issues, too. So I want to try how high I could get with ASW on instead of the poor FPS without ASW (when timeprogression is set to "on") I must, say, it doesn't lokk that much better now. Seems that it is barely seeable in those Headsets what the graphics could do AND the time progression is one of the best looking things you can enable in VR. So it could be a benefit.

But this thing I will try a few days. 45 FPS brings it's cons....

The OpenOVR Problem is interesting. Had that, too after the update. It seems, that the DLL was overwritten from steam. So I re-downloaded those two files and now it's working again. With Windows 10 nothing speaks against using this openovr, so it should work. I've tried to fiddle with SteamVR these days, but this is not the right way to go so fortunatley OpenOVR runs again here.

9. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +170 / 0 / -0
    I haven't followed this thread closely enough to know what hardware you're on, but I have a i7-6700, 1060, 16GB RAM. I run R3E in VR using High for pretty much everything, except reflections which I set to the low. Performance is fine at most tracks with 20+ AI, though obviously ASW is always active.

Don't ask for specific FPS numbers because I don't know and I don't care. As long as a game feels smooth and comfortable, I couldn't care less what the FPS is. (Nor do I understand people's fixation with specific numbers, in or out of VR.)

• Like Like x 2
  10. FormelLMS

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    Hey Goffik, thank you. Yes, in VR you can archieve two FPS Variants. With most headsets they are 90 without ASW and 45 with ASW, everything between is needless.
    So we can make settings running for 90 FPS and for 45 FPS and look, what is better for the person.
    I will try and fiddle a bit around the next days :)

11. Ciccina2016

Ciccina2016 Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Hello
    I am new to VR and Raceroom is the best simulator who gives me acceptable performance with my PC Spec.
    I usually set the graphic settings to LOW and I can run an online race smoothly.
    I wanted to know what key parameters can I tweak to improve even more the graphics.

12. Thomas Jansen

Thomas Jansen KW Studios Developer Beta tester

Ratings:
    +562 / 0 / -0
    The OP of this thread contains a bunch of information on the different settings, the most impactful are track details, shadows and visible cars generally.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Ciccina2016

Ciccina2016 Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    sorry what is OP?
    Original Post.. :D:D got it .. thanks

• Like Like x 1
  14. Maarten

Maarten Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    What Thomas said, and my advice is to start with super sampling of 1.0. (Means none) This increases performance a lot because you cut out a complete resample of the screen. And you can turn up things like track lod and texture details. My picture quality and game smoothness is a lot better now with super sampling off.
    I will post my nvidia settings later on too because you can easily gain/lose performance/quality there as well.

15. RWB Rodders

RWB Rodders Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Something fishy going on here. As others have reported CPU nor GPU are fully utilised (i5 8600k@4,7GHz only at 80% and 1080Ti 40-50%) plus the Oculus debug tool is showing a 99% overhead while regularly dipping into 40FPS ASW (Rift S).

Before I ran with ASW off and it NEVER dipped to 40FPS and I had a 40% overhead reading in the Oculus Debug tool.

I've checked over everything I can in game, NVidia control panel and Steam VR but cant eliminate this Debug tool oddity nor get performance back to pre-patch status. Dropping SS from 150% to 120% helped a bit but there is a noticeable loss in clarity and it still dips to 40FPS a lot.

In big races with over 20 cars it drops below 40, Race starts are horrible.

And if anyone who doesn't have a Rift S thinks just running ASW is OK - 40FPS(Rift S) is a LOT worse than 45 (Rift CV1). At 45 there is only a tiny noticeable change in smoothness of the image but 40 I find it intolerable. It's a lot worse than those 5 FPS diff might indicate.

16. Thomas Jansen

Thomas Jansen KW Studios Developer Beta tester

Ratings:
    +562 / 0 / -0
    I’ve heard the latest oculus drivers are to blame, but can’t confirm as I don’t use oculus anymore

17. RWB Rodders

RWB Rodders Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    I've heard the game was updated and it was like this afterwards :)

Sorry mate - fine in all games but Raceroom and Raceroom was just updated so I'll stay with the assumtion it's Raceroom until I get a better explanation.

18. inthebagbud

inthebagbud Member

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    ok so the noob Christmas day question where do you change SS for RR3 - I play through occulus, which doesn't have anything so is it hidden somewhere else in steam vr?

19. Heath

Heath Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +136 / 0 / -0
    You can either set SS on the Oculus debug tool. OR ad -vr 1.5 or greater into the game properties of steam ... :D but would only increase in .1 increments till sweet spot achieved..

Last edited: Dec 25, 2019
  20. inthebagbud

inthebagbud Member

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    is that the pixels per display override in debug - want to keep away from steam setting if I can avoid - too many places to start looking