New user, lots of questions 2...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by racinjoe013, Dec 28, 2019.

1. racinjoe013

racinjoe013 New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Got my new system built and setup and i'm currently downloading RRE onto it. While I wait, i thought i'd ask a few questions from experienced users.

1.) Is there anything I should do first with regards to video settings? I.E., any settings that are known performance killers that don't really add much visually that should be turned off right away?

2.) I watch a lot of Youtube videos on how to drive certain tracks and overall driving tips to try and improve and I always see these overlays that display framerates, memory usage, temperatures, etc. I'd like to use something like that initially just to make sure my system is running right. Anyone know the name of a good utility to use? Back in the day, I used to use FRAPS, but I think that only shows FPS.

3.) Any other general setup suggestions would be most welcome. I'm new to this game and want to make sure I don't overlook something that will take away from the fun.

4.) Is there any place to get good setups for the cars that can be downloaded into the game. I'm not a good driver, but I know even less about setups so I always like to start with one that is good and then tweak it to fit my driving capabilities.

5.) Not game related, but every time Steam launches it throws up this separate window with game news, promotions, etc. Can that be disabled somehow. I just want Steam to launch and then minimize itself. A google search will probably solve this one, but I thought i'd ask.

Thanks and I promise I won't be too much of a pain once I get everything up and running.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2019
  2. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    Regarding point 1; track animations, shadow and shader quality and mirror quality are probably the main parameters that affect FPS.If you use a custom HUD then that will also hit peformance.

3. Arcson

Arcson Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    I'd highly recommend sticking with default setups made by developers and later taking them as a base for tuning it to your preferences. They are well balanced, but still competitive. I rarely change anything in a car setup (though I'm far from being a super fast guy)
    If you want some different, specific setups anyway, you can look for them HERE

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2019
  4. MattStone

MattStone Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +169 / 0 / -0
    RE Q1
    I would start at full graphics then turn off in the following order until you get the fps you want
    Motion Blur
    Track animations
    Car Reflection
    Shadows to Med
    Reduce the number of visible cars

RE Q2
    I use MSI after burner; it can monitor every thing and give you ingame read outs

RE Q3
    Learn how to train the adaptive ai

RE Q4
    The base setups are pretty good in this game
    after you can run consistent laps then start tweaking the setup
    Setups really are very personal to suit your style of driving

Re Q5
    https://gaming.stackexchange.com/qu...opup-that-appears-when-you-close-a-steam-game

5. racinjoe013

racinjoe013 New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Thank you all for the tips and help. That's the kind of info I needed.

6. racinjoe013

racinjoe013 New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I have the difficulty preset set to Get Real in the options, but when I look at my driving records, it lists that i'm driving in the Novice setting. That might explain why my last practice session went so well. :) So I have three questions.

1.) Is this just a bug of some sorts in the driving records section of My Profile?

2.) Are the driving physics different or more forgiving in Novice mode or does it just change the assist options like TC, ABS, Stability Control, etc.?

3.) Any ideas on how I can get it to register I want Get Real difficulty? It's kind of an ego thing. I don't want anyone seeing I am using Novice mode. :)

Last edited: Jan 1, 2020
  7. Turtle Power

Turtle Power Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    Give some info regarding your hardware, computer specs, rig etc...

8. Paul Darke

Paul Darke Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +249 / 0 / -0
    The Old settings like Novice and get real are now defunct. It is all based on the assists that you use.

9. racinjoe013

racinjoe013 New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Thank you. Wanted to make sure I was playing the game with the most realistic settings and wasn't 'cheating' in some way. Guess that means my last practice session was legit. That's good because it was an improvement.