Setting up cars in Raceroom

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jonathan Young, Jan 2, 2020.

1. Jonathan Young

Jonathan Young Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    I'm returning to Raceroom after a bit of a hiatus because the new update sounded intriguing. I particularly like the new setup screen. It's excellent and very thoughtfully implemented but I have a couple of questions:

1. Is there anywhere that lists the target hot pressures for each car class? I don't know what I should be adjusting to, of that makes sense..

2. Is it possible to change it from PSI to Bar and from Farenheit to Celsius.. I'm used to ACC, and this is making my brain hurt.

3. A more specific question - when running the BMW GT4 around Norisring, I notice that within a couple of laps, the outside of the left hand tyres were deep blue and there seemed to be nothing i could do to change this (I fiddled with camber). Any thoughts please?

Thanks in advance for any guidance you can give me!

2. Nico Kunze

Nico Kunze Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +396 / 0 / -0
    Not sure theres much you can do in this case. One fairly slow corner per minute might just not be enough to keep the tires at temperature

3. GregoryLeo

GregoryLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +360 / 0 / -0
    If you go into the settings menu and look in the game play settings, under the HUD menu you will see Speed indicator. switch that to metric, and that should set all the readouts to metric. If I'm not mistaken.:rolleyes:

4. ndwthx1138

ndwthx1138 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    It's really a bit confusing when it comes to tire pressure and temps. I have the other problem that no matter what I do I can't get one tire from boiling and wearing out. On the ranked servers recently it has come into my strategy (hot lap then a cold defensive one) due to the 20 minute races. The older Audi dtm car (classics?) will over heat in 1.5 laps with the default setups!

For the life of me reducing or increasing pressure does nothing for temp. Too much camber certainly does.. very little on the other hand does not reduce the temp for me more often than not. There is simply a point of diminishing returns where it doesn't matter if I reduce neg camber relative to heat/wear.. Id like a lesson as it does not behave how it naturally would.

Regardless, all I can say for target temp - don't sweat the number so much - simply try to get a even green color tire after 3 hot laps. Immediately esc and go to the garage after completing 3 laps - bottom left you will see inner/middle/outer temps for each tire from the moment you left the track. This is how I make my adjustments and I am reasonably competitive (currently running in the top 10 on their ranked servers).

Hope that helps a little

5. Alex Hodgkinson

Alex Hodgkinson KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +1,948 / 0 / -0
    From this thread:

We made a big effort to make sure that tyre pressures and camber angles are very close to optimal by default. Therefore you shouldn't ever need to adjust anything more than +-10kpa (1.4psi) from the default. However the default setups are not track specific, so a little bit of tailoring is needed and it's very likely you'll be running asymmetrical tyre pressures at most circuits, using the method quoted above.

Another tool to manage tyre temperature is the ARB. Stiffer ARBs will increase the temperature difference between left and right tyres. So if you have an overheating front right, drop the ARB rate and you'll see a more equal spread.

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 3
  6. Ron Watmore

Ron Watmore Member

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    Alex, had a question about tire temps and pressures, My tires get cold instead of warmer when I drive. If I start at 27psi the psi and temp goes down. Not sure what I am doing wrong? Thanks

7. GregoryLeo

Ratings:
    +360 / 0 / -0
    I’m having the same issue, I find I have to lower the tire pressure any where from 5 to 10 pounds to get the tires warm. It isn’t needed on all cars, but seems like most of the time I’m having to adjust pressure and camber pretty significantly to get the tires to a good, even-ish working temperature.

8. Ron Watmore

Ron Watmore Member

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    Do you feel a difference in performance when they do get them warm. What temp are you aiming for? And I assume the tires are pre heated. I cannot even keep the the same temp, the just always go lower temp & psi.

9. GregoryLeo

Ratings:
    +360 / 0 / -0
    Mostly high 60s low 70s. Keep the inner and outer temps within 10 degrees. And yes I feel the difference in better traction.
    I usually start by lowering the arb and then soften the springs a click or two first. That definitely helps, but yah most of the newer cars the tires just get colder. Legend classes are better.

10. BeefMcQueen

BeefMcQueen Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +183 / 0 / -0
    Lowering the pressure will only get the tyres warmer, if you already left their operating range. The sidewalls will work and flex more, thus producing more heat. But with the results of only heating up the inside and outside keeping your center way cooler without gaining any grip. If you stay in a tyres optimum pressure window, higher pressures lead to higher temperatures. Do you have an example for a car/track combo where you think you have to change both, pressure and camber a lot?

Oli

11. Alex Hodgkinson

Alex Hodgkinson KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +1,948 / 0 / -0
    Depends on the car/circuit combination. Tyres are preheated to the very middle of the operating range and there's no issue if the temps go up or down +-15degrees from the starting point.

Always keep an eye on the tyre temperature readout in the garage menu. Your aim is to equalise the tyre temperatures across the tread. If the middle part is colder then the average of the inside and outside, increase the pressures. If it's hotter decrease them. This will almost always lead to asymmetrical tyre pressures, that's entirely normal. It's also normal that the inside edge of the tyre is warmer than the outside edge. This is due to the tyre running on the inside shoulder when not cornering. Don't try to correct it, cornering will only suffer.

There are a few thing you can do to setup in order to control (in this case increase) tyre temperatures:

- Increase spring stiffness
    - Increase anti-roll bar stiffness
    - Increase high and low speed damping (equally)
    - Increase toe in/out

The above changes result in higher forces being absorbed through the tyre, as the suspension is less compliant.

• Informative Informative x 4
  12. JyriK

JyriK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    Isn't leaderboard challenge using optimal tyre pressures? If so, one could start a challenge, drive a few yards, go to the setup screen and check them out.

13. Nico Kunze

Ratings:
    +396 / 0 / -0
    On leaderboards the tires are always at optimal temperature. So you can use that to get an idea of where youre temperature might ideally be but it wont tell you anything about pressures

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. BeefMcQueen

BeefMcQueen Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +183 / 0 / -0
    Can not check atm but I'm pretty sure, pressure values are greyed out and just show the values of the default setup. Same goes for the temperature values in the setup screen. They also don't change in leaderboard challenge mode. The tyres are just constantly held on their peak grip level without pressure and temperature being simulated at all. In not sure if that's also valid for how the A.I. physics is handled...

Oli

...Nico was faster :)

15. JyriK

JyriK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    No, the hot pressures are shown on the left bottom corner in the setup screen, which I guess are the optimal. As are the temps (85 degree celsius across the thread). If they are not the optimal, then ignore my ramblings. :p

E: I should add that those hot pressures vary from car to car, which kinda enforces my conclusion. Can't remember about the temps.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2021
  16. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +355 / 0 / -0
    If I understand correctly, there's no such thing as optimal pressure per se. Pressure is one of the tools to keep your tyres closer to optimal temps and best grip. But since in leaderboards your tyre temps are locked at 85 and grip doesn't change, it doesn't make much sense to look at your tyre pressure in that mode.

I also have a strong impression that when I race or do practice, my car basically never behaves like it does in learderboard challenges or competitions. I don't know what's the cause for that, though.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. JyriK

JyriK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    Ran a small test with Greenwood Corvette at Spa, and the leaderboard tyre pressures seem to be low, at least for the front tires, for a decent temp spread. So my suggestion was false.

Isn't just because in race or practice it is impossible to have the same tyre temps on all through the lap?

18. Winzarten

Winzarten Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +377 / 0 / -0
    There definitely is optimal tyre pressure (or more a pressure window), and you want to keep the pressure in this window. The comparison between inner-mid-outer tyre temps is the best indication to see if pressure is optimal. As was described by Alex.

If the pressure gets too low, then the inner portion of the contact patch will budge inward. This will cause the mid portion of the tyre to be colder than the other two.
    Similary, if the pressure is too high, it will budge outwards. This will cause the mid portion to be hotter. In both cases, you will be losing grip.
    When the mid tyre temperatue sits in the middle, then your tyre pressures are right.

Inside this window, you can play with the pressures little bit to also affect the tyre temperatures. This is what is often mentioned in on-line setup guides. What is often ommited from these guides is - you should always keep the tyres in the optimal pressure window.

What is also often ommited - there will be situations when it is not possible to achieve optimal tyre temperatures, especially in sims that have proper weather simulation. When it is cold, you might not be able to get even the softest tyres up to operating temperatures. It is also true the other way, it might be so hot that you might burn your tyres if you don't manage your pace (lift). This happens also IRL, check Austrian F1 GP, I think it was 2 years ago when it was scorching hot and Mercedes had to lift extensively to not burn their tyres. Spa 24 is oftentime the opposite example.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. David Lowe

David Lowe New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Any ideas on how to keep the tyres up to temperature in the WTCR cars? Mine are stone cold after 2 laps no matter what I try. It is starting to get really frustrating

20. Nico Kunze

Ratings:
    +396 / 0 / -0
    Rear tires or front tires or both?