good lap on GT4@ suzuka leaderboard

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jetsun, Dec 30, 2019.

1. Jetsun

Jetsun Active Member

Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -0
    Managed to do my first race on GT4 ranked server (yes!) with my capricious connection just to realize that the leader had a pace around low 15' at suzuka as I was around 17-18. So I'm heading to the leaderboard to chase some ghosts...but no quick guys for now, and i have difficult time to go below 2:16, would be nice if ever some of you fancy GT4 @ suzuka and can put on some good lap to learn from.
    http://game.raceroom.com/leaderboard/?track=1841&car_class=class-5825

2. Jetsun

Jetsun Active Member

Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -0
    Thank you for the lap @BeefMcQueen :D ! I was loosing quite a bunch in T1, now under 15' but overdriving a lot trying to catch you :confused:

3. BeefMcQueen

BeefMcQueen Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +183 / 0 / -0
    Don't necessarily take my line for reference. I'm not really comfortable in suzuka. There are some curves that are really challenging. In many places I'm just not in flow and I notice how that costs a lot of time. Let's wait until the really fast guys do this combination in the leaderboards...

• Like Like x 1
  4. BrianBosch

BrianBosch Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +129 / 0 / -0
    Agree with @BeefMcQueen . Pfff this is a track with a learning curve. If I nail all my best sector times together a 2:14 low is possible for me. Will give it another try over the coming days. And most of the times simracers known as 'aliens' are about 1-1.5 seconds faster.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Jetsun

Jetsun Active Member

Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -0
    Cool, will try back later on too, meanwhile I've done some Imola and Nurburgring fast chicane, and it looks like every track have quite a learning curve to me lol... After having done quite a bunch of pratice to become more consistent (last 10k km or so), now I'm trying to go a bit faster, and those leaderboard seems quite appropriate to learn how, default setup.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2019
  6. Nir Tal

Nir Tal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +53 / 0 / -0
    Donated my part to the LB

• Wonderful Wonderful x 1
  7. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475 / 0 / -0
    Nice this gives me a goal next time i sit down to race

• Like Like x 1
  8. BeefMcQueen

BeefMcQueen Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +183 / 0 / -0
    Not quite sure which GT4 car could possibly be the best for my driving style (if that style even exists...) The least comfortable I'm with the BMW on that track. I like the new Cayman a lot there, but the car that does everything the way I want it to do, surprisingly is the Lotus. I like how I can steer it by braking intro corners - feels very light and nimble. Ok, lap times proof I'm wrong but feels nice nonetheless :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Jetsun

Jetsun Active Member

Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -0
    I'm stuck at 15' now... may be I should try other gt4 too, that might help me when coming back to the BMW. 13.6' seems far far away :), thank you btw Nir for this Lotus lap!
    For now I've done some Nordschleife 24h to relax n imprint the track, I'm happy with my 9:23' rally time :p

• Like Like x 1
  10. Nir Tal

Nir Tal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +53 / 0 / -0
    Suzuka is not easy to master and its a long track, so 1.5sec is not a lot. Try to do some setup changes and see if u can get the car to behave more for your liking or better, gain some time.
    I like the Lotus rather than the BMW/Porsche, and i think its easier to drive (although its a bit slower on straights).

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475 / 0 / -0
    I did put up a lap, but using new wheel and more importantly pedals...good grief, gonna take awhile to get used to the load cell despite trying it before. Makes me miss my g27 pedals!

12. BrianBosch

Ratings:
    +129 / 0 / -0
    Indeed as @Nir Tal wrote: the Lotus is much easier to drive. Default setup, only changed TC to 5.

PS for the 'boomers' among us who want some memory lane driving and/or the millenials who want to feel how real driving was back in the days :p try the Porsche 934 Turbo Group 4 car at the same track.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2020
  13. Jetsun

Jetsun Active Member

Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -0
    Yes the lotus feels easier, lighter, more stable, easier to turn in, more braking powa, less understeer.
    Will try first to play with set up in the bmw though, as suggested, and see if I can geta feeling n acheive smthg.

14. Jetsun

Jetsun Active Member

Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -0
    Based on RacingSim Tools data n manual, I've had stiffen and lowered the rear, Increased rear dampers, maxed out the wing (?), now seems more reactive w/ less understeer, TC 5, brake bias 50 (!? May be a sign that I don't break deep enough), Managed a 14.5, I can almost keep up with the ghost up to the hairpin where I lose more than half a second all at once in the following 'straight'. Anyway took me quite a bunch of time to tune, now I need to practice more with the new setup, and get this hairpin right, will also try increasing overall dampering to see the effect.
    Ok will try :eek:, a bit intimidated by those beast :D

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2020
  15. BrianBosch

Ratings:
    +129 / 0 / -0
    Great improvement! Brake a little bit earlier before that hairpin. Let the car roll and earlier on the gas and full throttle. Good corner exit will indeed make a 0,5 difference. See you soon in the 2:13 club ;)

• Like Like x 1
  16. Jetsun

Jetsun Active Member

Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -0
    Still not quite there, 2:14.25, I can see 2 or 3 tenth to be gained for now :sweatsmile:
    As for the Porsche 934 turbo rsr, the trick to register a lap was to keep it on track lol, the bmw GT4 seemed real easy after that, must be fun to master :)

17. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475 / 0 / -0
    Got down to 2:15.3 tonight in the lotus...managed to get myself out of last place which is always good motivation once you've posted a time that shows up last. There's definitely a 2:14 out there for me with better exits and probably a better/more consistent line in the esses.

Glad I found this thread, I find it hard to focus on one thing in sim racing with my limited time and so many options, starting to make nice improvements. Cheers

• Like Like x 4
  18. Jetsun

Jetsun Active Member

Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -0
    Cool :) those S are a nightmare, I find it very difficult to control the throttle so that I'm not loosing time in understeer, was pushing too hard too early on throttle, trying to modulate that following fastest ghost line n blipping the throttle on exit (might be not very good for car balance), and even w/ some very small left foot braking to get the next turn in while still on throttle a bit.
    Oh n trying to get an early full throttle line in the last left hander part of the s.

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2020
  19. BrianBosch

Ratings:
    +129 / 0 / -0
    I stopped counting the number of laps I needed to improve my personal best time...I don't even want to know the # of invalid laps. Finally I set the reawing of the BMW to 9 and suddenly it was obviously easier to take the turns. First I thought increasing the wing would have negative time impact on the straights but that was not the case.

Who's next to improve and/or set a new time on the leaderboard? And please give me that few hours of victory :D

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. Jetsun

Jetsun Active Member

Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -0
    Only 14.29 today, was playing a bit with camber n toe, quite lost now, will restart from scratch but seems like a bit of more toe out on the front helps the turn in too.
    Stiffened rear helped a lot too, Max arb n spring, five click on all rear dampers, wing is 9 or 11 can't decide yet. Oh n rear high at min.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2020