VR Performance Tweaks & Tips

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Thomas Jansen, Apr 19, 2019.

1. Badgerous

Badgerous Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +223 / 0 / -0
    I saw something similar working in my Oculus Home area the other day. It may have been broken/WiP/not this at all, but I was *very* aware of the system at play, and everything beyond that centre area looked really quite shitty.

That said, the examples above do look promising, but it will be interesting to see how it holds up during an actual game experience where your eyes are constantly looking beyond that 'nice' area.

2. Maarten

Maarten Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    looks promising indeed. maybe in the future it will be used in foveated rendering.

3. Shodan

Shodan Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Apparently you can activate it also on non listed games: https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/eljrr6/vrs_variable_rate_shading_how_to_enable_it_on/

However, not sure if it will work on raceroom:

VRSS is supported by the driver--no game integration required--and can be applied to DX11 VR games or application that have forward renderers and support MSAA

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. FormelLMS

FormelLMS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    I think, again DX9 is the R3E Problem. :(
    If someone have tried it and get it to work or not, it would be cool to hear here.

5. Andrew_WOT1

Andrew_WOT1 New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
  6. FormelLMS

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    This is an adressed issue in many posts here in the forum since the last patch.

Has someone tried the VRSS thing yet?

I've tried yesterday as the link above from @Shodan says.

Disabled all SS in Oculus Settings, started Nvidia Inspector, changed the two lines there for Raceroom, give it 8xQ Multisampling and started the race.

So it looks better in the near, but very blurry in the distance, BUT I can ran my System now with Shadows AND time progression enabled. This was not possible with the other setting.

If this is because of VRSS, or because I don't run with any SS, but with Multisampling in the driver is a thing I can't really say. It could be a placebo thing....

Hopefully some others could try it.

7. Maarten

Maarten Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    Can't try it, have no rtx card. But it should be noticeable if you run a very low SS (below 1, 0.5 or so). So basically down sampling. The center should be clear and the rest should be a very low quality.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Shodan

Shodan Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    I'll give it a try in the weekend, I have 2070 super

9. Catalin Sasu

Catalin Sasu New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    hello... @FormelLMS
    please give me the settings for oculus rift S in raceroom ....

10. FormelLMS

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    I drive with openovr and supersampling 1.5
    The settings are those from Thomas Jansen in the beginning of this thread.
    Works like a charm.

11. Maarten

Maarten Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    Did anyone try vrss in raceroom with success yet?

12. TheMattyOnline

TheMattyOnline Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    Just a quick tip for any Oculus VR users out there. Stumbled upon this while looking at something else.

Raceroom implements OpenVR Hidden Mask, that should prevent any area outside the view of the HMD from being rendered, thus hopefully giving a performance boost in VR.

Unnfortunately, it appears SteamVR wil not pass this mask through to the Oculus SDK, so is of no benefit for Oculus HMDs.

If you use Open Composite however, this bypasses SteamVR, using the Oculus SDK directly, which allows this mask function to work as intended.

Here are 2 pictures which will hopefully explain this a little better.

Using SteamVR
    2020.01.12-21.45.png

Using Open Composite
    2020.01.12-21.36.png

You can find details on using Open Compsite here
    https://forum.sector3studios.com/in...le-performance-boost-for-oculus-owners.11535/

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Maarten

Maarten Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the heads up. But I think most of us with an oculus headset use the open composite already.

• Like Like x 1
  14. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +130 / 0 / -0
    To be precise it works the other way around - SVR is supposed to pass provided HMD specific mask to the game.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Thomas Jansen

Thomas Jansen KW Studios Developer Beta tester

Ratings:
    +562 / 0 / -0
    Updated the OP to recommend having shadow split off. I'm not sure if this is the case for everyone, but I found that having it on actually was the reason distant shadows, particularly tree shadows, were extremely jaggy and distracting. It probably is a feature to make those distant shadows look better in 2D, but it doesn't seem to work at all in VR for me. It's almost as if the shadows are drawn as a 3D object on the track instead of a flat shadow on the track. Would have to ask what the intended behaviour is, but try for yourself I guess :p

• Like Like x 3
  16. FormelLMS

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    Thanks @Thomas Jansen , that you stay on topic after all those months.

I found out, that shader quality set to high gives a better picture. But it hits performance a bit hard.

Now I'm playing a bit around with Nvidia inspector settings for anti aliasing. I think, it looks a bit better, but again: performance hit is hard. Had to dial SS a bit down.

I don't know if you want to try those things out.

17. fl0wf1r3

fl0wf1r3 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +235 / 0 / -0
    Sounds good, but does Raceroom support this feature? I don't think so. Only a few vr games support vrss at the moment. But this might be the way to go in the future. Nevertheless the vr performance of raceroom is really bad compared to Assetto Corsa, even with features of the shade patch like reflections and VAO etc. I think AC looks even better than ACC in VR. UE4 is not convincing to me in racing games

18. Thomas Jansen

Ratings:
    +562 / 0 / -0
    I have played around with that in the past, but since I got my Index I'm more of a high refresh rate fan than visuals,120/144 Hz is amazing for VR, though hard to achieve :p

• Like Like x 1
  19. Balrog

Balrog Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +466 / 0 / -0
    It is only achievable for me in single practice. When other cars are involved, half rate kicks in and 60 Hz is noticably low for me. So I rather play with fix 80-90 Hz than let the headset jump between 120 and 60, that's too big of a gap for me. Maybe the 3080 Ti will solve our problem.:p

• Like Like x 1
  20. Thomas Jansen

Ratings:
    +562 / 0 / -0
    I usually turn off shadows for a race for optimal performance. I also turn off motion smoothing, which is basically the SteamVR ASW, I find that FPS bouncing just under 120hz is not as big of a problem as on 90 Hz, definitely prefer it over it jumping to 60 constantly.