News (beta) Multiplayer Rankings

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by J-F Chardon, Jan 8, 2020.

1. higsy

higsy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +123 / 0 / -0
    Is there a search function in the listing ? How do u find your name ?

2. Hervé45

Hervé45 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +135 / 0 / -0
    Ctrl + F on each page

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. ducman888

ducman888 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +172 / 0 / -0
    I like the idea of the Ranked Servers but after the recent post by @J-F Chardon that it is most likely that the rankings as they are won't be reset once the Beta is complete. I have to wonder after 69 races and a respectable rating in the mid 200's if I am perhaps reached the limit of the contribution to the testing and am not benefiting from races with liked ranked drivers? Just not all that much fun TBH to have to deal with the chaos, as the reason from my perspective is that more often than not the majority of participants are less than dedicated to clean and fair racing which may be supported by after you get past the first page the amount of races entered by individuals are in the single digits.
    My question is during the Beta testing will there be another phase to collect data from more experienced drivers say 30+ races with say less than 5% DQ's, DNF's or rage quits?
    Also, how is the testing coming along?

Thanks to Sector 3 for your efforts as they are appreciated.
    David

4. yoori

yoori Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0
    Data has been gathered on closed league races for a long time now. I suppose devs have all the data they needed from clean racing folks and now are testing it in the open wild.

5. J-F Chardon

J-F Chardon KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +5,041 / 0 / -0

Guess what... https://forum.sector3studios.com/index.php?threads/ranked-mp-invitational.14507/#post-197493

• Wonderful Wonderful x 1
  6. ducman888

ducman888 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +172 / 0 / -0
    • Like Like x 1
  7. J-F Chardon

J-F Chardon KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +5,041 / 0 / -0
    One of the next steps of development is to add such requirements to dedicated servers.

I can't think of why this should not be an option available to anyone running a dedi as long as it's not mandatory to set one up.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
  8. MarcG

MarcG Active Member

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    Posted this on Discord earlier:
    Feedback; Just did 3 back-to-back races in GT3/DTM/Aquila and I think the threshold for Incidents with other cars is too high, the slightest rub or nudge results in 4 Points. I had plenty of them which never resulted in me or the other car spinning out, most of them gentle enough to barely feel anything yet the Incident Points racked up in the corner of my eye. I don't remember it being like this before the last update (I've had fairly clean races in recent days so only noticed this today), it just seems that "rubbin' is racing" is not possible now at all for fear of harming your Rep/Rating.

Update; Another couple of Races and I paid particular attention to very slight contacts and - needless to say - the Incidents piled up and I'm talking very slight contact again where you barely even notice.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. keanos

keanos Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +137 / 0 / -0
    "rubbin' is racing" is a quote from a hollywood movie.

I don't know why anybody wants to have contact with other cars while racing.

There are enough games where you can do this, f.e. wreckfest, need for speed, the crew etc.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  10. MarcG

MarcG Active Member

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    Have you ever watched the BTCC, WTCC, (V8)Supercars, DTM, Endurance Racing etc etc etc Contact happens in all those formulas and more, contact - especially in tin tops - is part of the racing, slight nudges, door rubs happen every single race.

I politely suggest you watch some real car racing this weekend, you'll soon see how frequently it happens.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    It's still a non contact sport and regardless of whether it happens,it is not supposed to happen. In real Motorsport all contacts and especially any that result in a car being overtaken or hindered would be looked at by the stewards. We don't have stewards, but we do have a punishment system. Contacts will be punished.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2020
  12. MarcG

MarcG Active Member

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    Yes I'm well aware of that, but if you'd of read my original post I was clearly talking about the slightest of touches resulting in Incident Points. I'm not talking about getting rammed off track here, fact is contact happens in motor racing you can't escape that, currently as it is the system is far too sensitive to very minor contact - THAT'S what I'm getting at here.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. RIZZI

RIZZI Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    Sorry if the topic has already been discussed
    Is there a calculation of points based on a participation of a "season" I mean by that, participation in all the cercuits of a session.
    Some drivers only participate in one or two circuits on which they excel, moreover they change cars compared to the circuit, they are certain to be well classified but that does not reflect the overall level on all the circuits.
    For better equality, it would be interesting to keep the same car for a full session (all the circuits) to participate in all the circuits without which the driver will have points removed.
    I see some drivers very strong on one or two circuits but we don't see them on the others.

14. CheerfullyInsane

CheerfullyInsane Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402 / 0 / -0
    Not at present, but at the risk of repeating myself and others, the rating-system still very much in beta-testing. :)
    Wouldn't really work in its current form either. Participating in all the tracks of the rotation would mean doing 7-8 tracks at 40 minutes each. Or in other words, 5-6 hours of racing.
    Very few people have that kind of time.

15. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    Plus not everyone owns all the tracks and cars.

16. Joel Willstein

Joel Willstein Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    I really need to take a break from these insane Ranked Races. Today, as I had a few free hours (the wife is visiting her family), I jumped into the European #8 server for GT3 cars.

1st race at Silverstone, and naturally at the hairpin mass chaos once again. I got hit a few times and spun out. Managed to finish with minor damage 14th on the lead lap. 2nd race at Hockenheimring and out of the nearly full field, half DQ'd or quit. Usual carnage at the 1st two hairpins. I managed to finish after only being spun out twice 11th and on the lead lap, which is pretty good for me. 3rd and final race before it was time to do what was on my Honey to do list for the day was at Nürburgring. I purposely didn't qualify as fast as I could have just to be last on the grid. My plan worked till the tight esses after the long back straight, where once again there was major carnage. I braked a little early as there was so much smoke and dust from cars everywhere that I could barely see, and I have those visual settings set to low. Didn't matter as some nut case just decided to go for it and caused major aero damage to to the back of my car. I pitted to have the damage fixed, then left the pits on auto. I was assessed a drive through for speeding which is impossible as I entered the pits under the limit, and then the UI takes over. So I do a lap and come into the pits making sure I'm well below the speed limit for a drive through, but the UI pits my car and there I sit. At that point I packed it in for the day.

Honestly, I really don't see much of, if any difference in how a good percentage of the field drives in these ranked races compared to just open races. I'm not very fast but have an excellent reputation rating of 89.6, and a top 1/3 result stat of 1526 on page 4. Up until yesterday I've finished every race entered. In the last two days, I've quit out of total frustration in two races. I've driven 33 races and like I said, it's mostly just chaos out there.

What's more I've wondered on more then a few occasions why there are so many servers mostly with no one in them or at best single digits. for a good part of the day, and by 6pm EST for the most part all the servers are empty.

Sorry for the rant, but this really isn't what I was expecting on a ranked server, and after 33 races it just never really changes all that much. Beta or not you really need to come up with some answers to these issues.

Thank goodness that my 1st league race is this coming Sunday. And hopefully, with new leagues starting soon I can race twice per week, and practice on a pw server most nights.

Joel

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Arthur Spooner

Arthur Spooner Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432 / 0 / -0
    I guess we're at it again...I can't help but wonder what people expect from a data collection beta test... :rolleyes:

Do you even know what a beta test is?

It's totally beyond me why people expect the ranked servers to be idiot-free or even close to. There's no means in place tp prevent idiots from joining the ranked servers. The reason is that it's only an open beta test for the collection of ranking data - nothing more, nothing less. Matchmaking by rank or reputation will come later. It's just not there yet. So what the hell do you people expect? That idiots miraculously stay away from the ranked servers? Why should they? In case they are even aware of the ranking beta test, it's the best place to piss people off - which is exactly what these guys want. And if you are not even looking for them, the hype around these servers always brings them up high in the server list as they are populated well above average.

You wanna see and test how your ranking data is collected? There you go - join and see what it does. But please don't expect any miracles to happen there. It's not yet the full ranking/matchmaking system and nobody said it would be. You have issues with or suggestions/requests for the data collection? Fine, this is useful and the reason why a beta test is done. But the constant whining, about that the beta test of only an isolated part of a complete system doesn't do the job of the complete system, doesn't make any sense at all and is totally not helpful.

• Agree Agree x 5
  18. Nico Kunze

Nico Kunze Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +396 / 0 / -0
    Really arthur already said pretty much everything
    Thats because at this point they are exactly that, open races. For the player there is absolutely no difference to any other open servers (other than being able to see their name on a list, if they know it exist that is) so why would one expect to have a different experience than on other open servers?
    Never properly looked at it but i wouldnt ever expect more than 10 servers in double digits meaning that say 90% of servers are in single digits or completely empty (would say at least 2/3 of servers are empty at any given time) so once again why would those numbers drastically change for ranked servers? And 6pm est is around the time all the europeans go to bed and as they make up the biggest part of r3e players (afaik) it starts getting very empty around that time
    Think ive read about this issue before somewhere so its probably just a bug thatll get fixed soonish
    Edit: https://forum.sector3studios.com/in...-penalty-speeding-in-pits-not-clearing.14385/
    So other people have definitely noticed it before, not any real feedback by the devs yet tho so might take a while

And just to get a bit of a contrast on here as well, my experience with the ranked servers has been very good. Have done 12 races so far and have had about 5 contacts so far, none of them heavy enough to cause any damage or lose me more than a few tenths

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2020
  19. CheerfullyInsane

CheerfullyInsane Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402 / 0 / -0
    Not to mention that ranked and matchmaking servers aren't a guarantee for incident-free races.
    Check out any of the regular iRacing streamers, and you'll soon see that even the vaunted iRacing system has its fair share of complete blockheads as well.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. pixeljetstream

pixeljetstream Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +412 / 0 / -0
    +1 considering that those guys drive really well and are in top splits...