Mask for vr?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Hangon, Feb 26, 2020.

1. Hangon

Hangon Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    Sector 3 devs, would it be possible to implement a mask as rfactor 2 have done to save the processing on areas not visible in headset? Any little thing like this that frees up some performance is much needed. Some headsets seem to benefit more than others, but the index(which I have ;) ) has been reported to 24%.
    https://www.studio-397.com/2020/02/build-1117-weekly-updates-2/ as explained here .

2. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +130 / 0 / -0
    Raceroom already has it since early days. You can see it by enabling R3E mirror or SteamVR mirror :)

3. Hangon

Hangon Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for reply ..unfortunately I do not see that??? I've enabled the steam vr mirror ...but I just see a full image, no corners cut off eg:mask ...and where in R3E do you enable mirror?? Have looked everywhere in options, I do not see anything??

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. The Iron Wolf

Ratings:
    +130 / 0 / -0
    That's strange, I saw it with my Pimax device. Maybe index has some setting to enable HAM, but I would not know as I do not have it.

5. Hangon

Hangon Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    I see the mask in rf2..I'm using the use hmd and mirror in the game ..not steam mirror ... where in r3e can you pick to mirror the game? I do not have a mirrored game unless I pick it from Steamvr

6. morsify

morsify Active Member

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    In control settings / edit assignments, in the VR section, you can bind a key to toggle monitor view, I think that's it?

7. Hangon

Hangon Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    okay , I did that.Mapped a button to monitor view ..and now I see the mask ..or what very little there is of one??? Is this similar to any others using the Valve index? It's just a little tiny corner of the right side ?? Obviously that is not doing a whole lot...Is the pimax similar Iron Wolf? Is thier something in the ini. files that i can tweak?? So , it obviously appears though that the steam vr mirror does not work with the mask, as there I have full picture ..with no black areas at all . I thought it might be more like RF2 , i see alot more mask , and the performance gain was quite noticable

8. Hangon

Hangon Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    whoops ..just about forgot the image

Attached Files:

• mask.jpg
      mask.jpg
      File size:
      268.8 KB
      Views:
  9. The Iron Wolf

Ratings:
    +130 / 0 / -0
    it seems correct. Your Desktop window is smaller/different aspect ratio than view in the HMD. If you want to be sure, right click on SteanVR icon and select "view VR mirror" or something like that, you'll see the exact image sent to HMD :) If you do not see big fat Index mask there, you found a bug in R3E I guess! :) Cheers.

10. Hangon

Hangon Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    Awwww..dummy me..the steam mirror is on one eye.. switched it to two and sure enough I see the mask‍♂️♂️ there was talk once about sector 3 implementing dx11? Is this still on the drawing board?

11. sherpa25

sherpa25 Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Just to clarify, does this work when using opencomposite?