T300 Bumps and road vibration (experimental)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ravey1981, Feb 26, 2020.

1. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Updated June 21

Post removed as no longer applies to new FFB.

• Like Like x 8
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2021
  2. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +170 / 0 / -0
    I'll give it a go. Is this "road feel" reliant on the in-game settings contained in your profile, or could I add the effect into my own profile? I ask because I've got the FFB feeling as I like it now, so adding a bit of road noise is the last thing needed for me.

3. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    It's done by changing lines in the rcs file. You can't add it through the in game menu. If you want to do it manually copy the lines that begin "FFB steer vibe" there are 4 lines.

If you want bumps to come through then look for the line "FFB steer force exponent" I have set it to 0.77, this is by trial and error. The lower the number the more bumps you get, but be careful, too low and you just get really heavy steering around centre and you lose ffb detail. Default is 0.8.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
  4. Barbie

Barbie Active Member

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for sharing this ravey1981, I will try your settings and report. I didn't fiddle with the .rcs file since the ffb update and was thinking it was a good time to do so now that I'm acclimated to the new ffb.

5. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +170 / 0 / -0
    This may be a canned effect, but I like it. It's very subtle and doesn't affect any of the other FFB forces, yet keeps the wheel feeling "alive". When hammering down a straight at 150mph it actually feels like you're moving, instead of the wheel being totally devoid of all feeling. So yeah, I'm keeping it active in my profile. Thanks for this! :sunglasses:

• Like Like x 2
  6. IndEnt

IndEnt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +76 / 0 / -0
    Hello - I recently started rF2 again (that was maybe a mistake! - or not?) and afterwards I felt like a dead steering wheel in R3E.
    I didn't really remember it that way - so I tried something around again.
    And thanks to ravey1981's inspiration, a quantum leap was made (at least for me).
    --- it is probably a matter of taste, so do not scold too much ---

First I tested with 100% vertical + 0% lateral, and 0% vertical + 100% lateral - and then I started to mix
    (TM system control to standard and steering wheel effects to 100% - all other effects first to 0 %) - I didn't get a satisfactory result.
    Then I started to set the SteeringRack setting to 0% and then to 100% - and suddenly a lot of the driving experience changed.

Long story short, in the end I have two profiles for the TM300. One for vehicles with new physics and one for vehicles with old physics (although that's just my feeling, it doesn't have to be that way).
    I tested the two GT3 Porsche with the profile "newPHY" and then of course the GroupC (for which I only had to set the FFB multiplier down to 1.8) - a dream!
    The FordGT GTR1 and the P2-Radical didn't really want to participate, so the 2nd profile "oldPHY" ...

So I like it again - it's fun to drive R3E again! And if the FFB is too strong (lateral force), first lower the vehicle FFB multiplier and then try the alternative profile.

Have fun everyone.

In the appendix both profiles for the T300 - I use the Alcantara rim and also an F16-MFD as a button box - so you will probably have to adjust your button assignment.
    (sorry for google-english)

Edit: I have tested it at Suzuka and RoadAmerica - on both I have great road-feel now ...

Attached Files:

• Informative Informative x 2
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2020
  7. gasngrip

gasngrip New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    hello there,
    i've only recently downloaded race room experience (i own most of the other sims out there).
    my first go at this wasn't as i expeceted since i did not like the ffb.
    i'd like to give it another shot using ravey's ffb setting but i have a question about the thrustmaster profiler.
    overall stength 100%
    constant 100%
    periodic 100%
    spring 0% ???
    damper ? how much here ?
    auto centre settings - by the game

then i add darvey's file into : documents/mygames/simbin/raceroom/userdata/controlset folder

thanks guys

8. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    In thrustmaster profiler click set to default. That should be overall 75 and everything else to 100. Then check the let game change settings box.

9. gasngrip

gasngrip New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    ok thanks i'll give it a go and let you know if i like it better.

• Like Like x 1
  10. IndEnt

IndEnt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +76 / 0 / -0
    Hi - compared to many other Sims it feels a bit different - but don't lose your patience, some car-track combos are just fantastic ...:cool:

11. gasngrip

gasngrip New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Ok, i'm a complete noob when It comes to this sim...what track/car would you suggest for beggining with? At the Moment i don't have any paid content at all Just the base game.. normally i enjoy cars such as gt3/dtm/ but mainly AJR's from AMS

12. IndEnt

IndEnt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +76 / 0 / -0
    RaceroomRaceway, Portimao and Sepang are good tracks for first testing (and free!) - and the free cars ... the 134 Judd V8 is a cool mini-monster, the LMP's are all phantastic, also the Silhouette's (mini-GT's) - all absolutely usable content to have fun and decide whether you like R3E ...
    Edit: and if you like DTM's, this is your Sim! (the money is worth it)
    My favorite combo is the FordGT GT1 and Bathurst - but it's all a matter of taste ... :cool:

13. gasngrip

gasngrip New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    ok ok i'll give this a go thanks again

14. nolive721

nolive721 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +72 / 0 / -0
    thanks for your initiative ravey1981 because road feel is the last thing missing for me in RRE to enjoy the FFB after the December update.My TS PC racer is providing me enough details from car physics and all after some fine tuning of the ingame settings

but yes road bumps dont get through the wheel at all. I have tried your rcs file in the hope it would work for me but what it does, in my case, is just a continuous light vibration and it magnifies the wheel oscillation in straights to a level that I can not bear

I have tested Spa and Portmao so far, maybe other tracks would work better I dont know so I will give them a try as I saw Suzuka and Laguna Seca being mentioned here and I have them.

I should mention that I am using 6 bass shakers with SIMHUB to increase immersion on my Playseat through tactile feedback so thats the way I can compensate and its fine but yeah, it would be a nice addition if i could add something through the wheel feedback

15. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Its true, the road vibration is only an effect, some will like it and some won't. It's not ideal but it's all that there is at the moment. The added small bump sensitivity does increase oscillation, which can be combatted by increasing the damper slightly.

Your TSPC is more powerful than the t300 so probably doesn't need this tweak to be honest. It's more use for low end wheels.

If you do want to experiment with your own profile open the RCS file with notepad and edit the line that says "FFB steer force exponent", not sure what your default will be but lower numbers give more bumps but increased oscillation. It's trial and error finding the right number, and each type of wheel will be different.

Thanks for giving it a go though.

16. MarcG

MarcG Active Member

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    @ravey1981 Firstly many thanks for your settings (in the sticky FFB thread and here), much appreciated. :)

I've spent the past 2+hours simply driving and feeling my way through improving the FFB in RRE, pretty much had it at default for months before now and these new settings have certainly been an improvement. Regarding this thread and your Road Noise settings they are pretty much spot on, perhaps a bit too much on smooth surfaces for my own liking so I may lower them slightly, but more driving required or different tracks.

Couple of questions if you don't mind/if you know the answer too(!):

1) The Shift Effect I also like at 60%, but it's not evident when steering forces are in play, I only feel the gear shifts when in a straight line. Are there any parameters (.rcs perhaps) anywhere to help with cornering gear shift feel do you know? I'm not after the same full effect as a straight line but a more subtle feeling, currently there is none.

2) As I Race in a lot of different Sims I have DAMPER (and SPRING) set to 0 in my Thrustmaster Control Panel as a couple of other Sims recommend that (or at least they did long ago). So with this at 0 would the In game Setting have any effect at all? As I'm struggling to notice a difference here :confused:

With regards to TM CP settings I need to find a right balance across all the Sims (RF2, AMS2, ACC & RRE) as the last thing I want to do is constantly go back and forth changing these Settings, I'd much rather leave them all at one value and adjust in Game accordingly, so if you have any thoughts on that again that'd be much appreciated :) I'm trying to avoid googling too much as it all becomes a mess in my head as I'm no FFB Guru! Thanks

17. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +170 / 0 / -0
    I'm no expert either, but I believe leaving the damper and spring settings at default in the TCP does not improve or ruin FFB unless the sim's FFB is programmed to make use of it. Like you, I also read the advice of setting them to zero years ago, but I'm pretty sure that isn't a "thing" these days in any current sim. I'm also pretty sure I read that you need damper in the TCP in order to feel some of R3E's affects, such as the heavy steering when you're stopped.

• Like Like x 2
  18. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Hi glad you are liking it, you can turn the vibrations down a bit if needed as I explained above.

Re gear shift, you won't feel it when cornering as the cornering force is already higher than the gear effect, you could try maxing out the gear shift but that would probably feel too much on the straights.

Re damper etc. We recommend everything in TM control panel to be set to default do that's damper and spring at 100. Raceroom uses the damper function as an important part of the ffb so if you have it at 0 in CP not only does the damper setting in game do nothing but you also lose other elements of the ffb.

You should be able to tweak all games to work with default TM settings.

• Like Like x 2
  19. MarcG

MarcG Active Member

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    Cool thanks very (both of you!) :)

• Like Like x 1
  20. MarcG

MarcG Active Member

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    Ok I put the Default values in TM CP (100% Springs & Damper), in game it became lifeless and dull, turned them both back to 0% and the difference was very noticeable so I'll leave them down there and just make do.
    I have the FFB feeling very good overall (again thanks!) so I'll be done with tweaking now - best bit is the Gear Shift sensation and extra Road feel from this thread :)