VR Performance Tweaks & Tips

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Thomas Jansen, Apr 19, 2019.

1. Andrew_WOT1

Andrew_WOT1 New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Split shadows off didn't work that well for me visually. Shadows are better with them on and I don't see any artifacts in WMR.
    Little trick on boosting sharpness with LOD BIAS. Use NVidia Inspector and two highlighted values.
    The more negative LOD Bias, the more aggressive the sharpening (and artifacts).
    upload_2020-1-18_16-35-10.png

• Like Like x 1
  2. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +130 / 0 / -0
  3. FormelLMS

FormelLMS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    I've tried, but didn't get it to work. Others wanted to try, but never heard again. I think, it hasn't worked there.

4. Andrew_WOT1

Andrew_WOT1 New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Technically MFAA should work on any title supporting MSAA.
    It works with AC in VR. The easiest way to test is to set lower MSAA level (x2) so jaggies are more obvious and run with and without MFAA.

5. Michael Jeffries

Michael Jeffries Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Anyone have settings for a Valve Index that I can use? I have a 9900KS and 2080Ti with DDR4-4000 32gb.

6. Thomas Jansen

Thomas Jansen KW Studios Developer Beta tester

Ratings:
    +562 / 0 / -0
    The settings in the OP are pretty much the optimal settings to go for, any extra headroom I would put into supersampling :p

7. Michael Jeffries

Michael Jeffries Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Thanks @Thomas Jansen - I'll go back to it later on and tweak from there.

8. Balrog

Balrog Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +466 / 0 / -0
    I was about to write a frustrated post about how VR performance has been significantly worse since the december patch, but then I noticed that I bumped SS up a little bit at the time and that is the root cause of the decline. What's interesting is that my GPU has enough headroom for higher resolution, but it seems it has a more significant impact on the CPU. Is this observation right?

9. Maarten

Maarten Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    The "details" are in this thread, but the short answer is: Yes, CPU is the bottleneck, r3e uses a single thread to render stuff.

10. Sebastien Brunier

Sebastien Brunier Active Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    Yes VR users like us are limited by CPU/RAM performance, as you already saw in Dx9 CPU Benchmark thread, despite using same processor, your slower RAM (latency especially) kit puts you roughly 10% behind my score, so you are limited by your RAM kit imo. Note that even with a faster kit we are limited too but with more performance nonetheless.

https://forum.sector3studios.com/index.php?threads/directx-9-cpu-benchmark-thread.13473/

I've now switched to WMR HP Reverb so I no longer need the Open Composite to bypass Steam VR and use only Oculus.
    I've raced in the Reverb at native resolution and it worked absolutely fine at 90 fps with these settings

Toggle Mirrors............On
    Track Level of detail.....Medium
    Car LOD Distance setting..Low
    Particle detail...........Low
    Tiremarks.................On
    Specular..................Off
    Car reflection quality....Low
    Track animations..........On
    Shadows...................Lowest
    Car shadows...............On
    Contact shadows...........32
    Shadow split..............On
    Multi-Sampling............4xAA
    FXAA......................Off
    Bloom.....................Off
    Depth of field............Off
    Motion blur quality.......Low
    Lightshafts...............Off
    Lens effects..............Off
    Track texture quality.....High
    Car texture quality.......High
    Rear view mirror quality..Low
    Shader quality............Medium
    Corner markers............Off
    Visible cars..............20
    Opponents cockpits........Off

So you should be able to use the same settings with a bit of super sampling to reach similar resolution at 90fps (2160x2160 per eye in Steam VR) with a faster RAM kit.

11. Badgerous

Badgerous Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +223 / 0 / -0
    How many cars does that cater for out of interest?

I run almost identical settings, and I find that somewhere between 17-20 cars* is when I'll start dropping to 45fps.

*Depending on class, and amount of model variation.

12. Maarten

Maarten Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    I wonder how much performance I lose by using a low end gpu as the gtx1060 as I'm using right now.

13. Balrog

Balrog Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +466 / 0 / -0
    Thanks, I'm using similar settings (slightly lower actually) and my system can maintain 90 FPS with 130% SS in general, but 150% is the sweet spot in terms of visual clarity and it is just above the CPU limit, which is a shame, because my GPU is producing something like 2-4 ms frametimes according to fpsVR (so there's obviously headroom there).

I set 'Visible cars' to 18, this way the game runs pretty stable apart from very crowded spaces (starts, pitlane, or massive pile-ups), GT3 is the best class to test because of the various 3D models.

14. Sebastien Brunier

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    If it's just above the CPU limit (less than 10%) faster RAM could probably get you there as this is what seperate our systems in terms of performance. BTW I haven't found 3600c14 to be really more performant than 3200c14 with infinity fabric (FCLK) set to 1766. So don't go crazy if you replace your RAM kit.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2020
  15. Balrog

Balrog Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +466 / 0 / -0
    Woah, 3600c14 RAM's are not even available in my country (to be more precise, the one available kit costs a fortune, we have crazy VAT here). And I'm not convinced the difference between 3200c16 and 3600c16-17 will be significant enough to buy new RAM just because of this. But thanks!

16. Sebastien Brunier

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
  17. Ciccina2016

Ciccina2016 Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Hello Guys, I have just upgraded to a RTX 2080 S from a GTX 1070 , I changed Raceroom video settings to High but unfortunately the FPS are stuck at 40 FPS whilst the headroom performance is 100%.

What can I do to get 80 fps starting from an "high" profile?

18. Maarten

Maarten Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    Hi, unfortunately it does not work like that. Take the settings posted above by Sebastien, and go from there. If you want to get more of an understanding of what to do and what not read this thread.

19. Ciccina2016

Ciccina2016 Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    even if I change to video settings low, I am not able to run at 80 fps...
    are we saying that my hardware is not enough to run it at that framerate?

20. Maarten

Maarten Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    Your cpu core speed matters a lot. I got a 9600k@48ghz + gtx1060 and I can run a constant 90fps. Can't run the exact settings above though.
    I presume you've got a rift s, and that should not be a problem. Think you are running in asw mode atm.