Car physics is stupid

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Peste, Mar 20, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Peste

Peste New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    The latest update on car physics is stupid.
    The cars of the year 1930 hold better to the asphalt.
    The developers who made this update can only be idiots.
    I don’t spend even a cent more while they don’t correct this crap ...

• Dislike x 11
    • Funny x 10
    • Disagree x 6
    • Informative x 1
    • Love it! x 1
  2. Paul Darke

Paul Darke Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +249 / 0 / -0
    Are you still using setups you created prior to the last update?

3. Heath

Heath Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +136 / 0 / -0
    Problem BC&M :D

4. Alex Hodgkinson

Alex Hodgkinson KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +1,948 / 0 / -0
    Thank you for your input.

• Winner x 21
    • Funny x 7
    • Like x 3
    • Agree x 1
    • Informative x 1
  5. sergeich

sergeich Active Member

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    RR physics is best of all racesims.
    Who think about "car dont hold asphalt" should use motion platforms. And dont forget about weight of car - about 1 tonn.
    Our VR club visit city Kart champion. He try pass 90 grad. turn at speed 150 and turn wheels to the end of it range and say " your physics is shit and car's wheels didnt reflect steering wheel position!". We dont saying any comments, saying "good bye" :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. muzikant

muzikant Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112 / 0 / -0
    @ sergeich,, RR physics is best of all racesims.

I tend to disagree. I like raceroom EXp don't get me wrong. I bought almost everything. but after the last update the feeling of driving is not okay on my fanatec dd1 I have been waiting for something for 3 months. I can't come back to raceroom after I drive rfactor 2 or ACC ............... this feels good on my DD1 itself AMS 1 feel very good, (isn't it the same motor ???) it would be a shame if nothing is done about this. Already used many forum settings but don't get the feeling, even though I thought so. I like the Nord VLN and different varieties ... Sector 3 please do something about this and fix it.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 3
  7. SwaggerJacker

SwaggerJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    He's probably on a server now.

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. R.Noctua

R.Noctua Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    Thank you for the information. Keep monitoring.

upd: oops, this is already said.

9. XanderSJX

XanderSJX New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Can you give example? Like in what situation you find physics being wrong?

10. sergeich

sergeich Active Member

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    S3 should take real racer and record the video, ask him "Compare please real car driving and RR car".
    Only who drive real GT cars can tell - good physics in RR or not.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. Alex Hodgkinson

Ratings:
    +1,948 / 0 / -0
    There is already a long list of real GT drivers who are involved in the development process. Will Tregurtha, Moritz Kranz, Marius Nakken, Romain Dumas just to name a few!

• Informative Informative x 7
    • Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
  12. William Richardson

William Richardson Active Member

Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    I agree with your post, raceroom was my favorite sim before the last update. I have now moved on to acc for the time being, see what the future brings.

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. sergeich

sergeich Active Member

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    ... and what they say about RR physics?

14. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    I drove a lot of new cars and tracks over the free weekend and I have to say most of them feel good and can be set up to be manageable.
    Exceptions are some GT3 cars like the Audi R8, which when you lose the back end it just pirouettes around and you can´t save it. I understand this is the handling trait of rear/mid engined cars but it doesn´t happen with all of them - the McLaren is fine, for example.

I have the same issue with all the 92 DTM RWD cars, apart from the Merc as the coast setting can mitigate it. The M3 is undriveable for me as no adjustment can be made to fix it.

If all the cars feel bad, then it is probably a controller or a player issue.

15. FormelLMS

FormelLMS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    What I don't understand:

While development of the Porsche 911 Cup, there where Cup drivers testing this car and Sector 3 says "They are absolutely close to original" Many of the Sim Racers here complained, that the car is behaving worse.

After some months, Sector 3 overhauled the cars physics completely, again with some real drivers and they say "Now it's behaving absolutely close to the original"

The fact is: It behaves completely other than before. How can there be such a big distance in the behavior of this car, when in both cases "real drivers" stated, that it behaves like the original car.

I start to not believe those statements anymore. It's frustrating and irritating and not the right way for a simulation with that less drivers like Raceroom has (in comparison to AC, iRacing, ACC and so on...)

Please @Alex Hodgkinson give me my faith back to R3E. Don't get me wrong, but there are some points I cannot agree anymore in the last months.

16. RoccoTTS

RoccoTTS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +534 / 0 / -0
    Maybe if you would read a bit more what devs say in this forum you would understand it. The reason why it behaves completely different than before is because the current Porsche Cup version has been changed to a different version.
    This is a quote from the patchnotes of februari 24 :
    "Porsche 911 GT3 Cup - The current model has now been modified to Endurance specs. The car now has Traction Control as well as more car setup adjustments allowed. The Cup specs will now be only available in upcoming Porsche Carrera Cup classes."

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    that's because race car drivers are humans and have different opinions about the same things.
    Ask 10 race drivers about the same thing and you will get 10 different answers.
    You just can't transfer the real racing sensation a driver gets in the cockpit 1:1 into a sim. There are senses left out in a sim and I don't think any FFB effect (or motion effect) or so can compensate that. Even IF the tyre physics and suspension and general physics engine would be capable of reproducing real life 100%, there will always be opinions that it doesn't fit (but they will get less). It just will always be another level driving in real life.
    But if it has more detailed features it can feel something close to real life, what you have seen with chassis flex in ACC, GT3 drivers were suddenly overwhelmed. Like this guy, a real GT3 driver: https://clips.twitch.tv/SaltyTrappedEyeballRickroll credits to @Andy Kettler for the clip.

• Agree Agree x 2
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
  18. Alex Hodgkinson

Ratings:
    +1,948 / 0 / -0
    It's about adding details. A driver will comment and give us some general ideas of the direction of which we should be tweaking things in. They however are not engineers usually, and a beneficial skill in the job they do is to just get on with it, whatever the tool they're strapped in to. So when a driver says it behaves just like the real thing, it's to be interpreted as yes it's close - I feel comfortable to push it in the places and the same way as the real car. They are not commenting on specific aspects like damper tuning, roll centre heights, toe control, camber behaviour, how the differential behaves etc. That's where the specific developments you're referring to have come from.

Without exception, any car update over the last couple of years has been driven by some form of new-found knowledge or a new data set. That's not to say it was wrong until then, instead new data is used to eliminate assumed or calculated unknown aspects.

This sort of thing really parallels what happens in real world motorsport. Any racecar is a constantly evolving project subject to constant evolution, even those which run under tightly restricted regulations. We are quite literally going through the very same sort of development process with all our cars in RaceRoom. The more data that becomes available the more micro-improvements we make.

We did of course also switch the GT3 Cup into an Endurance version, which uses ABS and is softer sprung and thus more forgiving to drive.

• Like Like x 13
    • Informative Informative x 7
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Wonderful Wonderful x 1
  19. GregoryLeo

GregoryLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +360 / 0 / -0
    @Alex Hodgkinson
    I just wanted to express my appreciation for you. I really enjoy reading your posts. You take time to explain thing in laymen’s terms. I personally think R3E couldn’t have found a better person for the job you do. Thank you for taking time to interact with us out here and taking the time to explain things in detail.
    As we say in Hawaii, many many mahalo,s. ( thank you’s).
    Anyway, I struggled with the new physics at first. Enough to go to some of my other sims, only to realize that they didn’t fit the bill.
    And when I came back, in a week or so, I had to re-learn how to tune the suspension and drive.
    I now prefer the challenge of the new physics. And am back to my old lap times. Well done S3 very well done.

• Like Like x 16
    • Agree Agree x 7
    • Love it! Love it! x 2
  20. Alex Hodgkinson

Ratings:
    +1,948 / 0 / -0
    Thank you @GregoryLeo I really appreciate it :D
    I'm very lucky that I get to do something I feel so passionate about as a job, very lucky indeed.

• Like Like x 8
    • Love it! Love it! x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1