Driving school ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Big Fat Greg, Mar 31, 2020.

1. Big Fat Greg

Big Fat Greg New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I practice a lot, but i really think that in my case, i should buy another setup.
    I have a crappy thrustmaster ferrari 458, with no ffb, and the control of the pedals is very hard, cause there's no real force progressivity on these ones.

I will have a look at the gear. Do you have a buy tip ? In a correct price ? I wont put 500 bucks in a wheel at the moment.
    Logitech ? Thrustmaster ? Wich one gives me the best pedal experience ? I think this will help me a lot.

Thanks !

2. yoori

yoori Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0
    @SwaggerJacker that's the point you have hundreds of laps in and you can benefit from setup changes. For a new driver they need to first learn how the car behaves and how to control it on a default setup, if they start messing with setup when they don't understand the car it will only mess up their technique. besides default setps in R3E are good and you don't need to change them to be fast.

@Big Fat Greg If you're looking for a wheel get a T300 with T3PA pedals if you find one in good price.
    if that's not an option then:
    T150/tmx PRO (3 pedal set only)
    G2x, G920

Thrustmaster will give you smoother FFB due to beig belt or partially belt driven. but the stock pedals are awful. T3PA with brake mod are ok, and I gues better than Logitech pedals.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    What everyone has said is true. Driving style, and importantly, learning how each different car reacts to inputs is where the bulk of time comes from. Setups have their place, but especially on our new content, the default setups are very well developed anyway. It may be the case that a driver will make some adjustments, for example I prefer a car that turns in well, at the expense of some rear grip. In the past, when physics and tyres etc were not so accurate large amounts of time could be found through setup exploits such as putting minimum rear wing and such like. Hopefully these exploits are now closed and setup changes should react similarly to the real world. Things like changing tyre pressures to avoid an overheating corner are now very important.

4. CheerfullyInsane

CheerfullyInsane Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402 / 0 / -0
    @SwaggerJacker I may have come off as somewhat dogmatic. :oops: ;)
    And while Aris isn't the be-all, end-all guru of all things racing, when several people, all of whom are faster than me, say the same thing, I sit up and take notice.
    So yes, set-ups can make a difference. But for me, I use them mainly to make the car more comfortable for my particular driving style (such as it is).
    It doesn't make me faster, but it does make me more consistent and makes driving more fun since the car reacts the way I want.
    But, at least in R3E, I've yet to find a set-up where I couldn't subsequently take the default setup and drive it to within a few tenths.

Then again, I'm very much a casual racer. I have neither the time nor the inclination to spend hours looking for those final tenths.
    I'd rather gouge out my eyes than do 400 laps at Monza. :D

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. yoori

yoori Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0
    Speaking from my experience (I'm about 3-4s behind as well), when ever I try to work on setups, I run a few laps then try to use al the book knowledge I have and make small changes. Finally I'm a second faster. Then I'm going back to default setup and I'm faster again.
    I know there's a lot of speed I'm loosing due to my (lack of) technique. So I dropped the setups the try to be faster on default.

What helps me is going online racing. No amount of hot lapping and AI racing will do the same. If you don't have an option to restart you start to drive more carefully and smoother, then following faster guys starts to become easier and laptimes drop.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. SwaggerJacker

SwaggerJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    Agree on the. T300 as well.

7. FeltHλt

FeltHλt Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +479 / 0 / -0
    I vote for T300 as well, managed to grab alcantara edition from outlet for half the price :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Big Fat Greg

Big Fat Greg New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I do some online racing. But theres so few servers...

9. FeltHλt

Ratings:
    +479 / 0 / -0
    join justrace for scheduled races with safety rating and ranking. Next event, DTM92@Zolder starts in an hour :eek: rly nice combo

10. SwaggerJacker

SwaggerJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    What outlet?

11. FeltHλt

Ratings:
    +479 / 0 / -0
    I bought mine on morele.net but check shops/sites in your country i guess, or auction sites. Plenty of returned or post service stuff there. One advice, look for vendors that still offer warranty, even for outlets (it was 1 year for mine, compared to standard 2 years for brand new product)

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. keanos

keanos Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +137 / 0 / -0
    The best driving school: find the right AI strength for your skill, and start in a 20 car field lets say from P16 at the start, with a small car like the M235i.

right AI strength = you should not be able to overtake more then 4 or 5 cars during a 30 minute race session.

This setting will force you to do pack racing, and use all the skills needed for racing.

• Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  13. Big Fat Greg

Big Fat Greg New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I'll try with AI, thanks !
    Something really interesting if some of you are interested...

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. Big Fat Greg

Big Fat Greg New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    One thing i've read, and seen on video is "use yourbrakes, not the gears" to slow down.
    it seems to help manage the curves.

Do you agree ? How are you making it ?

Thanks again for all these wonderful tips. I already win a second on the 4 i need to be on the first places ;)

15. CheerfullyInsane

Ratings:
    +402 / 0 / -0
    Generally yes. Engine-braking, when done right is effective. But there's also a very good chance that you'll simply lock up the rear tires and go spinning.
    With older cars you pretty much have to use engine-braking to stop in the first place, since the brakes suck in those.
    But in anything relatively modern, you're far more stable just using your brakes.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Big Fat Greg

Big Fat Greg New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    With all these tips, i'm ready to begin racing ;) Thanks guys.
    I plan to follow the just race league, and i run a dedicated server to practice for the next race, that will change according to the planning. If you wanna join... WTCR Training (belgian flag) ;)

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2020
  17. Larry Foster

Larry Foster Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
  18. CheerfullyInsane

Ratings:
    +402 / 0 / -0
    Oh, and just to put things into perspective.
    In the Hungaroring WTCR stream that just ended the slowest qualy time was 1:53.5xx.
    P1 had a 1:51. 7xx........

I'm just going to leave it there. :D

19. FeltHλt

Ratings:
    +479 / 0 / -0
    Im happy with my time and 1% of their time practice :D:p

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. Alex Hodgkinson

Alex Hodgkinson KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +1,948 / 0 / -0
    Would any of you guys be interested if I set up a tutoring session one evening soon?

A private server with a password, up to 5 drivers a discord voice channel.

• Love it! Love it! x 4
    • Like Like x 2