iRacing

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Dale Junior, Jul 3, 2015.

1. William Richardson

William Richardson Active Member

Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    I am about 1/2 seconds slower with the cup car in acc compared iracing. But than again so is most everyone else, all I can muster around Zolder this week is 132 and change. 132 wont buy you last place in iracing, but you can win races with those times in acc. 132 in raceroom with the porsche 911 gt3 cup car, would put you at the top of the leaderboard with room to spare.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2020
  2. Badgerous

Badgerous Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +223 / 0 / -0
    This is how I'm reasoning things lately as well. I'm 'saving' a bunch of cash this year through (sadly) not going to any racing events, am unlikely to have a holiday this year due to the current situation, and well, not even going out at all atm.. ..So I'm spending it all on hardware instead. ..And I guess that's silly if you don't spend a bit on software to actually make use of all that. :)

The 1/2 price offer on a year works out at £3.66 a month, which seems fair. The cost of the cars/tracks is a bit of a kick in the balls though at £10 each.

Do the cars/tracks have a 'test drive' feature, or do you just take a leap of faith with something?

3. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +790 / 0 / -0
    i wouldnt bother ever comparing laptimes across sims, this doesnt work ever, different physics how that behaves with your hardware and ho you behave with that mix

Andi

4. Bull Shark

Bull Shark Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    Yes 100% true but I do not spend money in pubs. Lol. I spend my money on gaming and mostly simracing. Perhaps I should give it another go again but to be honest, I’m an AI racer pure sang because I do have not very long session time available. For me it is often a short race between diner and washing dishes. :eek:

5. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Leap of faith I'm afraid. I do wish there was a test drive feature. And yes content is ridiculously expensive especially when starting out. Hence the need to really think about where your priorities lie.....do you want to be a tin top racer or open wheels etc. Some cars can be used over multiple series which is good. Tracks wise, it's hard, at first you need to buy lots, but once you have a few you might only need to buy an odd one per season (3 months). If you make the jump into it then it's going to be around $/£ 200 just to get going.

6. Badgerous

Ratings:
    +223 / 0 / -0
    I assume that's only if I want to compete in the seasons? If I wanted to just test the waters for a while with AI, or even just hotlapping, I can start with the base content add stuff if/when I want it?

7. ducman888

ducman888 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +172 / 0 / -0
    As it is an expensive prospect new members can get 1/2 off initially (2 years for $99 usd) this is what I would suggest as you do get a few cars and tracks and this will give you ample time to evaluate the content and what iRacing has to offer. Once you take advantage of the offer it is full price from then on as in the 5 years I have been monitoring iRacing I have yet to see any incentives for returning. Probably needs mentioning that all content purchased is yours in the event your membership lapses and then you return one day.

My experience is buy nothing additional until which time you require it for advancing as once you start buying cars and tracks the cost goes up quicker than a Mazda Miata going downhill with a stiff breeze. Ok, that may not make sense but it did make me chuckle. In hindsight I wish I would have followed this as I wound up with a stable of cars and all my favorite tracks to...basically hotlap by myself. The addition of AI is interesting and once it is applied to all cars and tracks I will re-subscribe as the tracks are top notch.

In the meantime get used to driving less than desirable cars with too many drivers who seem to think there is only one pedal necessary and watch your ranking/rating rise and fall from one race to the next. Hopefully you advance and get the chance to race the more desirable cars and tracks.

Just take a look at this video as to the logic a representative of iRacing suggests for rookies.
    Good Luck

• Like Like x 1
  8. Badgerous

Ratings:
    +223 / 0 / -0
    I was bored today, so I took the leap earlier on a 1yr sub...

Just getting the thing going is not friendly at all to newcomers, but once I'd spent an hour or so faffing around with the basics I was up and running in VR.

I'm really impressed by the whole thing tbh. It looks and sounds so much better than Youtube vids give it credit for, and the FFB feels great right out of the box. The UI is terrible, but once things are setup I guess you don't spend too much time with that, and I like a clutter free view when racing anyway.

'Free' content is a mixed bag, but it does at least have 'Seca and Tsukuba that I know well. Car wise I'm loving the MX5, the Radical, and the (legacy) V8 supers. I want to really settle in with those over this week, but I doubt it'll be long before I grab the 911 cup as a starting point, and to try out the AI.

9. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    You can run the Mazda against AI also. Click on the beta UI bit right at the top of the homepage to access AI racing etc

• Like Like x 1
  10. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Watch this. Get out of rookies in a day, easily

• Like Like x 1
  11. ducman888

ducman888 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +172 / 0 / -0
    Good luck and look forward to your thoughts on the AI

12. Bull Shark

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    Second that.

13. Badgerous

Ratings:
    +223 / 0 / -0
    Ah, perfect. I'll give it try after work.

14. tlsmikey

tlsmikey Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    I find the AI quite good, but i'm a long time iRacing member (3 years) so i'm fairly biased overall in favor of iRacing. I did just fire up R3E this week and found the latest AI very, very good though. In fact, I think the AI may be as good or slightly better than iRacing mostly because R3E tolerates a little bump here and there in the physics more than iRacing does. Both are sensational though.

If you're new to iRacing, my one suggestion for you would be to carefully look at the full season schedule before you buy content. A lot of people buy cars/tracks that they don't have a license for right off the bat and just waste their money. You can also earn $10/3 months just by racing 8/12 weeks.

• Like Like x 1
  15. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Totally forgot about therace for credit thing. Is it just one official race per week to qualify? About the AI yeah I dont find it as "racey" as RR but its good for practicing being around traffic especially as the same incident points apply. I find I take much more care to be clean against the iR AI

16. tlsmikey

tlsmikey Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, if you click on "my race participation" you'll see a breakdown and running total. It's basically:

D through C class races (dirt, road, anything): $4 credit for every 8/12 weeks you complete
    B through A class races: $7 for every 8/12 weeks you complete

You don't have to run the same car or class in a series, but it must be in that same series to qualify. For example, I can run IMSA with the DP, Porsche, Ford or Audi GT3 and those would all qualify. Each week is one week's worth of credit as long as you run one race (you don't have to finish).

17. Badgerous

Ratings:
    +223 / 0 / -0
    I just spent 1hr with the Mazda AI at Lime Rock, and first impressions are pretty decent.

I really like that you can specify a range of skill, and they all seem well behaved on track. They didn't fight among themselves too much (might just be that car/track combo) but I could see lots of positives comparable with RRE. The way they behaved around me was particularly encouraging, as they weren't afraid to get mirror-to-mirror, and didn't do that annoying backing off thing as soon as you pass that AC does.

Performance in VR with 20 cars was also flawless.

So first impressions are solid. I'll likely grab the 911 cup car and Donnington this week to see how things scale up.

*That chopper replay cam is also great. :)

• Like Like x 1
  18. Bull Shark

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    The sounds are amazing in Iracing. That is for sure..
    Just took a look at the chopper cam, indeed a great one to view replays.

19. heppsan

heppsan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    One other free car that are really fun is the Spec Racer Ford! Done several seasons in that.:)

20. wesker6664

wesker6664 Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    Yes the sounds are really impressive in iRacing, they have made immense progress lately ! In the below video, from 2'30" on, the sound of the transmission when going on/offf throttle is just amazing... how did they do that ? Can we hope for something similar in RRE ??