Road bumps/Suspension Feel

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tlsmikey, Apr 14, 2020.

1. tlsmikey

tlsmikey Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    Need some help. I dropped this game after the December update because even though the physics were miles better than they have ever been I felt like the FFB had become super smooth and somewhat numb compared to what i'm used to in other sims.

I've recently gone back to try and find some settings that work and I've tried running 2x the vertical forces compared to lateral and that helps a bit, but it still feels like everything is super dampened and smoothed out.

Any tips or is this just how it is meant to be right now?

I have an Accuforce DD wheel, so I should feel a fair amount of suspension bump and road bumps.

2. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Vertical force only really deals with weight transfer rather than fast bumps. The only way I found to bring more bumps through is to go into your controller RCS file and alter the line that starts "FFB Steer force exponent". There is a number that will be 0.xx. If you lower that number you get more bumps but be careful....too low and you get oscillations around the centre. Trial and error to find the best setting for your wheel.

• Informative Informative x 4
  3. Hervé45

Hervé45 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +135 / 0 / -0
  4. tlsmikey

tlsmikey Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    This works pretty well. Thanks:) It's still not great, but it's definitely much better than it was. I almost rather leave it at 0 and dial out the oscillations with dampening than at 0.9 where it was by default.

5. tlsmikey

tlsmikey Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    Update on my side. I've spent way too much time fiddling around with settings trying to see if I can make it better and i've stumbled upon a good solution.

I took the guts of the default "Simucube 2 Pro" profile and pasted it into the Accuforce profile. I'm not entirely sure why, but it seems to add a lot of clarity to the FFB and provides a lot more road texture than I was getting before. I've since increased the vertical load to 50, but otherwise the default Simucube 2 profile is what i'm running right now and i'm really happy with it.

Tested with GT2 - C6R at Zandvoort. Man....that car is sooo good.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Turtle Power

Turtle Power Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    I think Sector 3 should start looking into this highly requested feature 'road bumps or road effect' as it will really make a big difference.
    Cheers

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Mike S

Mike S Member

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    I think the ffb is really good. it just feels like there’s too much smoothing. The raw signal looks like what I would expect but what comes through the wheel seems to be too smoothed out. I wonder if there isn’t some smoothing going on behind the scenes that’s doing this.

8. AlexBlob

AlexBlob Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +60 / 0 / -0
    You need to remember that the suspension will be dampening the effect before it hits your wheel, that just how the sim is compared to the likes of AC and rFactor, while some don’t like this its “technically” more accurate but as the debate on FFB always is its subjective about what is ‘good’ and what is ‘bad’.

9. Loki-D

Loki-D Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    I agree with the OP went to the modern f1 car at suzuka and it almost felt like race 07 just self aligning torque - no road feel at all! Maybe my ffb messed up but didnt feel good..

I seem to find raceroom doesnt feel that good if you have come off the back of another sim like acc rf2 or ams 1/2!

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Turtle Power

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    It is fair to remind ourselves that Raceroom FFB is absolutely brilliant. Don't need to change anything. The way I see it is that Road Effects should be only effects just like gear shifting, engine vibrations etc... If not possible to simulate real Bump/ Road Surface effects its not an issue. The fake one will be appreciated as much. Just make it fake at least. Bump here bump there, shake here shake there etc.... it will be great either way. Our brain won't see the difference between the real and fake and what will count is the immersion with the road feel. I think it is super welcome feature.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2020
  11. tlsmikey

tlsmikey Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    Don't know how many of you are on iRacing, but if feels like the complete opposite. iRacing has a super notchy, abrupt feeling through the wheel (especially with DD wheels) due in part to their 60Hz update rate. Raceroom has this super mushy/smoothed feeling to me. Ideally, i'd like to see something more in the middle and folks can add smoothing with their wheels if they feel its needed.

12. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Ive recently been back to iracing racing the porsche cup...... comparing the RR FFB on the same car is interesting. There are elements of both that I like, I feel more comfortable with the iracing car though....more feel from the front end. Im on a t300 and even then the iracing ffb does feel "rougher". I found adding a lot of damping in the iracing FFB helps it feel more natural. The RR version feels super smooth but a bit unconnected to the track.

13. Turtle Power

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    iRacing has got pretty good road feeling and overall solid ffb. What I really miss in iRacing ffb is opposite from Raceroom. Miss engine vibe, gear shifting and tyre slip effects which makes iRacing ffb a little bit meh or lifeless ( but that is just my personal preference).

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Agree. iRacing are firmly in the "no added effects" camp, and while I actually like their overall FFB you're right about the effects leaving it feeling a little empty. I particularly miss the kerb vibrations we have in RR. Luckily my basshaker adds in those effects under the seat so all is not lost. When I get around to it I really need to try putting a shaker directly under the wheel...I think that would feel amazing.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Loki-D

Loki-D Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Think it's safe to say but for open wheeler's race room isnt your best bet. Having tried a bunch they just feel a bit simcade in regards to physics and feel very numb. Try another sim like rf2 or ams2 and the cars feel alive edgy.

However racerooms fwd tourers and most other cars are pretty good in handling and ffb.

This is all my opinion obviously.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2020
  16. Zhenya

Zhenya New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    had all kinds of opinions, but after I made the accuforce settings I get a thrill from this rt3 dtm does not convey so clearly

17. Cote Dazur

Cote Dazur Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    I thought getting a DD was to have a more realistic feeling at the wheel, not to start feeling weird effect that would not be there IRL

I have Tactile and R3E has all the road bumps it needs to have, If a track is bumpy, it feels bumpy using tactile with SimHub.

Overactive FFB, I will not name names, but we know who they are, is not realistic, does not feel like real life, it feels like a broken car.

R3E FFB feeling is just fine and the tracks have a lot of details, if you want to feel the bumps upgrade to tactile and stop asking your wheel to do stuff it should not, DD or not.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    What needs to be added to RR to help resolve this issue, is Sebring, my arthritic hands need a good jolt before I feel anything in the micro bump department.
    I'm all for some individual car adjustment of road feel but I'm thinking this could open a whole can of worms.
    FFB is not as good as it has ever been but it's damned close, trouble is, like myself, my wheel is getting past its best, so not sure at what point the ageing wheels communication to the ageing hands is dumbing down what Sector3 are trying to relate to the brain that can't remember why it walked into this room. o_O

19. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    I'm with you on this. In fact I'm addition to my post from earlier in the year I have added a shaker directly under the wheel and it feels fantastic....all the bumps are definitely there! If I turn off my shakers it's a different story though, since there are a lot of people who have only a wheel I think some subtle chassis vibration through the wheel would be useful (in fact I already kind of do this with my custom ffb file anyway). I'd agree that some games are far too exaggerated in this area though which is worse than nothing at all in my opinion. Short story - to everyone should get a basic tactile setup. A couple of cheap shakers and an amp is less than 100 pounds or euros and makes a massive difference to the feel of any sim.

• Agree Agree x 2