New racer Button box issue

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Brengun79, Apr 28, 2020.

1. Brengun79

Brengun79 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Good afternoon all, I hope your safe and well.

Well this is my first week playing big boy simulators. After years of PC2 and thinking I was a half decent driver I have hit the ground with a thump.
    You guys out there are another level and I feel truly humbled and excited to progress my skills.

Well enough waffle. I have invested in a new fanatec setup but won't be here for a month so in the mean time I have purchased a button box to start building the rig.

All hooked up and registers key strokes on note pad no issues whatsoever from both buttons and switches, however the game doesn't recognise teh inputs what so ever.

I've tried vmapper and Vjoy but no luck so far.

In short it does everything its supposed to outside the sim but in race nothing works . Am I being a dumb noob or is there some mad science behind this .

Keen to get it working as it looks great

Thanks in advance. Apologies I'm still learning and only a week into the big boy setup

Bren

2. ndwthx1138

ndwthx1138 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    Oh man, I hope someone can help you. I have two button boxes and both have never given me any issue in raceroom. Basically if windows sees it as a controller I've never had a issue.

I do use joy2key but ONLY on some buttons as I have duplicated (like brake bias I have on some of my steering wheels and want it on the button box always).

3. Brengun79

Brengun79 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the heads up, I really have tried to get the thing working.

In all fairness o think that's the issue I'm having, it sees that its a arduino micro keyboard and not as a game controller.

Much research needed

Thanks though, good to know there's a chance

4. ndwthx1138

ndwthx1138 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    Which button box is it?

5. Brengun79

Brengun79 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    unsure as to which button box brand it is, my wife got it for me as a xmas present but with work etc haven't had chance till now to test. as with all partners in crime, she has no receipt and informs me it was off the internet ..

som one may recognise it but hey, may have to give up as im not one for coding and have no clue of things.
    20200429_140834.jpg
    Only listed as keyboard in devices "Arduino micro"

types in notebook fine but nothing in sim and not recognised as a game controller.

Cheers for the effort guys but don't go breaking a back over it , these things are part and parcel I guess
    Screenshot (2).png

6. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    try downloading diview and see if it recognises all of the button press/switches

Andi

7. Brengun79

Brengun79 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    cheers Andi, ill get on that right away.

works fine . see pic. now I'm Screenshot (3).png really confused

8. Andi Goodwin

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    ok leave di view running , go into game and try to bind the buttons
    give me a heads up how you get on

Andi

9. Andi Goodwin

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    did using diview make it work ?

Andi

10. Brengun79

Brengun79 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Sorry for the late reply , things have just gone bad to worse. I haven't come out of game and only testing via the app
    it now appears my g920 has decided to not be recognised either suffering same issue.

fine all morning.... as you can see diview sees everything and all inputs fine just the game no liking it.
    Screenshot (4).png
    cheers andi

11. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Have you tried assigning the buttons via the normal keyboard. For example the button you want shows as a "c" in notepad. In game rather than press the button on your box when assigning try pressing C on the keyboard and then see if the button works in game.

12. Andi Goodwin

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    make sure that your button box and wheel arent tiocked in the steam controllers list

Andi

13. Brengun79

Brengun79 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Awesome guys, mega advice. wheel p and running going for box now. lets see how we go

14. Brengun79

Brengun79 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Andi, That worked a treat for the wheel and pedals, legend!!

Ravey, I tried that but on your advice gave it another go. weird. must just be broken coding I guess. or not Brengun proof.

Cheers gents really apreciated, ILL KEEP AT IT

15. Brengun79

Brengun79 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well after much debate and head bashing I've concluded its no go. Thought I'd try acc to see if it work on another sim and lo and behold no issues.

Guess its idiosyncratic of chasing the perfect sim dream. Either hasn't put me off the sim. Just have to adopt all the keys on my new famatec wheel ...

When it arrives.

Cheers guys . Apreciate all your help