Raceroom to move to Unreal Engine 4 in the future.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bakayoyo, Feb 18, 2017.

1. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475 / 0 / -0
    I'm guilty of pining for a new engine before but now having second thoughts realizing current game really looks good and other UR4 games not so much. But if they can manage to keep the same overall feel of the visuals (ill admit i'm not sure what that is, i just know i like it...the great clarity maybe?) then this should only be a good thing.

• Like Like x 1
  2. milewski.lukasz

milewski.lukasz Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    You mean the "raceroom" look ;)
    No post process no bs just good textures and models.

• Like Like x 4
  3. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    Just scribble out the 9 and write in 11, swear that's what AMS & rF2 have done. ;)

4. Dale Junior

Dale Junior Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +983 / 0 / -0
    I hope the UE4 plans for R3E are already history, because it would be waste of time and manpower to work on an old game engine.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  5. Alex

Alex Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +51 / 0 / -0
    If you look here https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/blog/a-first-look-at-unreal-engine-5 they say:
    So if they still went ahead with UE4 I guess not all is lost. It's probably one of the available games engine with the most chances of having continuous update and support.

6. The_Grunt

The_Grunt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +168 / 0 / -0
    This is very true. UE4 already supports modern HW features, including next gen consoles and launch of UE5 is expected to happen in mid 2021. This means that first UE5 titles will be a long way ahead.

Epic indeed retains that transition will be smooth. If I don't remember incorrectly, still a while back Epic's original plan was to continue UE4 development and no new version release was expected. UE4 hasn't been static either since the release and for example because of Fortnite, Epic introduced bunch of big changes to it.

So, every claim that UE4 development would be wasted is just silly. It is wholly another discussion if it is worth wile in general to make the transition to UE.

7. Balrog

Balrog Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +466 / 0 / -0
    The only reason I'm not so keen on an UE switch anymore is VR performance. Kunos insists that they cannot do anything about it other than complain to the Epic guys, because that's how the engine works and it needs improvements on their side. ( Not that RR's VR performance is amazing right now. ) But I already heard Marco saying in an interview that they aren't 100% sure about continuing with UE in the future.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. Bull Shark

Bull Shark Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    Great looking demo. Would be nice to see this “game” on my own pc. :D

9. Peter Kerenyi

Peter Kerenyi Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    I don't really care which engine they move to, but I really hope something is in the works. The improvements on physics, etc. really took their toll on the performance, since the game currently uses a single CPU core. I reinstall R3E quite frequently to see if it got better, but no. AI races perform terribly. Too bad because a lot of their new content interests me.

10. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +790 / 0 / -0
    i can run 79 Ai at daytona , and sit at 60fps sdo for me all works fine on my old pc

Andi

• Agree Agree x 5
  11. treborvxr

treborvxr New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I hope they create their own engine. UE4 is pure rubbish.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. RWB 3vil

RWB 3vil Active Member

Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    I hope they at least chose the forward render version of UE4 .

The deferred renderer version , which ACC uses, is awful with VR ( only post processing AA = blurry VR with shocking performance). At least with forward renderer UE4 you get great looks + MSAA and overall performance is much higher than the deferred version, which is more eye candy , using lower percentage screen resolutions upscaled with temporal upscaling as it works very well with the ps4/Xb1

13. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Whatever they do, staying with what there is, moving to U4E or any other engine - I only hope they do not throw VR under the wheels. VR friendliness is of paramount importance to me. Compromising VR performance for some other stuff, no matter what it is, is unacceptable to me and would most likely make me abandon Raceroom. Once you got used to VR racing, you just cannot move back to 2D screens, it just does not make clickerdiclick.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Peter Kerenyi

Peter Kerenyi Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    I don't understand then. I can barely hold 60 FPS with 20 AI. I have a Ryzen 5 2600 which even on the Intel-biased userbenchmark beats your CPU, even in single-core. I also have a 5700 XT. My game runs at almost 200FPS when I'm alone. Adding AI kills it. One of my cores sits around 100% usage, bottlenecking my GPU that barely goes over 1000 MHz. I have no performance issues in any other sim. Any advice?

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  15. treborvxr

treborvxr New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Really dont understand the fascination with UE4. Everyone seems hung up on graphics and seem to forget that with that comes loss of customers who cant afford the hardware to run it on looking good because lets face it nobody wants to buy a game they have to run on medium settings. Plus personally i have no issue with how Raceroom currently looks.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. Peter Kerenyi

Peter Kerenyi Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    RaceRoom performs worse than e.g. ACC in my case for some reason I can't identify.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
  17. treborvxr

treborvxr New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    ACC performance is the worst of any race game out there unless you have a massive spec system. Which of course anyone that has one is completely ignorant to the fact that no one else does because most people who can afford better systems think they're better than anyone else. Never had an issue with raceroom.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Peter Kerenyi

Peter Kerenyi Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    I have a pretty mid-range system (specs a few posts above). In ACC with high/epic settings except for mirrors I get above 60 FPS at starts with AI and after the field spreads a bit, locked 75 FPS (that I set). In R3E at starts I am getting 45-58 FPS and it creeps up above 60 when the field spreads but does not feel stable, has lots of stutter.

In ACC after a point you get GPU bottlenecked because UE4 is hungry. With too many AI though the CPU can be your limit. In R3E you are always CPU bottlenecked because the game runs on a single maxed out thread, at least for me.

I would be happy to solve my issues with R3E.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  19. treborvxr

treborvxr New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    My system is by no means amazing. i5 4670k (old i know) 980ti and only running 8gb ddr3 ram but i can still run most things on descent settings, only have this system as its my brothers old system as i cant afford to build my own. Most race sims will run maxed out easily but ACC is the one that makes me worry about future race sims because its the biggest leap in terms of using hardware that race sims has had with using the UE4 but there are a lot of people out there that know a lot about the engine and say that its way too difficult to optimise well so why do game creators still choose it? makes no sense to me.

20. Peter Kerenyi

Peter Kerenyi Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Ah, the wonderful simracing community disagreeing on my observations that apply for my computer instead of trying to help. Should I make videos to prove it or what? I have been playing R3E since they changed from that greenish UI, spent a lot of time and money on it. I don't want to talk badly about it but I am having serious performance issues I would like to somehow fix, because I'd like to return to racing the content I paid for.

Community: ignore or even disagree...

• Like Like x 1