English Racing for Rookies

Discussion in 'Leagues & Communities' started by Bob Pearson, May 26, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Bob Pearson

Bob Pearson Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Lockdown newbie here. Started getting interested in sim racing about a month or so ago. Found R3E and bought the ultimate pack, G29 and a Playseat Challenge later and I'm ready to go. Immersed myself in forums, started to get a vague idea of what it's all about. Noticed so much coverage of "safe" driving, etiquette, racecraft etc.. You can only watch so many informative You Tube videos before you actually want to get out there and start learning, racing real people.

As a newbie I didn't want to get in the way of faster and more experienced racers, so where to learn the skills in a competitive but non judgemental way. Found the LTC Gaming league through Discord, and after some discussion agreed that their league was for more experienced racers than me. Obviously, my inquiry and some others like me got senior management thinking and a few days later, the Rookie League was born.

Like it says on the box, it's a league for rookies. We all want to learn, we're all competitive, we don't have lots of experience, but it's a lot of fun. So if something like that ticks your box come and have a look and join the fun.
    You can find it at: https://discord.gg/bjRG5G

• Love it! Love it! x 1
  2. sK1n3R

sK1n3R New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I read a post by @Bob Pearson and it motivated me to share my story in SIM racing so far.
    I tried out Raceroom Racing Experience for the first time in November 2019, with a controller. After a couple of laps, I was like "Nah, this isn't for me".
    In January 2020, having grown tired of watching YouTube videos of guys SIM racing and enjoying it, I decided to give it another go, but this time, I was going to do it right.........I got a g920 wheel and pedals and had spare cash to get a cheap fk playing seat.
    My first month was hell in the public servers.....I don't have to state the reason :)
    I learnt about LTC Gaming and got in touch with them via discord. I was permitted to join the rookie league and today, I race in the experienced league with the more experienced guys and a couple of aliens. Nooooooo, I can't even dream of winning any races sadly, but I am enjoying SIM racing the way I had hoped it would be and that is having clean battles in the park, being competitive and steal the odd point here and there. I know there are new racers out there looking for CLEAN fun and a platform to improve their driving skills. In one of my first races, I spun and in that wild moment of not wanting to loose time, I rejoined unsafely and ruined the race of a more experienced driver lapping me. You know the feeling....I was devastated and apologized to him on the discord channel. I was expecting the worse but surprisingly, he was nice saying he understood because he was new racer in the past. He gave me tips on safe re-entry and @Milo K (The founder of LTC Gaming) also had the same nice chat with me and that was enough to make it stick in my head :)
    Fellow newbies out there, I encourage you to come join the fun and improve your driving skills..........as long as your are willing to be clean. Hehehehehehe!
    You can join us here:https://forum.sector3studios.com/index.php?members/ltc-gaming.22284/
    Discord: https://discord.gg/bjRG5G
    Sorry for my long.............rant? :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
  3. OldFart

OldFart Active Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    I will second this Milo is one of the good guys, find him/us on discord and say hi, I am there in one of the leagues so you have little chance of coming last

• Love it! Love it! x 2
  4. CheerfullyInsane

CheerfullyInsane Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402 / 0 / -0
    RaceDepartment also have Club races every week which are very beginner-friendly. Saturdays for EU time-zones, Tuesdays for US time-zones.
    Emphasis is much more on the social aspect (voicechat usually gets a little.....weird :D ), and less on competition.
    Granted, they're paid membership servers, but we're talking 12-15 Euros for a year, and membership brings more perks than just the racing.

On a sidenote, the biggest fear of most beginners when they join their first few races is screwing up, and accidentally taking someone out.
    Here's the thing.....You will, at some point. Probably more than once. :D
    And that's fine. No matter how experienced you are, we all have monumental c*ck-ups in our racing history.
    Apologize, learn from your mistakes and move on. :)

Anyone who's good at anything, started out with being really, really bad at it.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Bob Pearson

Bob Pearson Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Hit the nail on the head with that post. Just finished my third Rookie League race and had a blast. Will check out Race Department, thanks for the heads up.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Tommi Saarinen

Tommi Saarinen New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'd be interested in joining in. I've been into sim racing for a long time but only in the recent months I've started to get deeper into it than just hotlapping or drifting. In other words, racing with a bunch of other cars around me, sharing the track with me. Care to post a permanent join link here? The current one on the initial post doesn't work. :grin:

7. LTC Gaming

LTC Gaming Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    • Like Like x 1
  8. wideboy56

wideboy56 New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Good evening guys,
    I'm new to this sim racing lark, but use to play Toca and Gt 1.2.3 many years ago, I have the basic pack, and would love to join in with a few other rookies or amatures and develop my driving skills and enjoy some wheel to wheel excitement.
    Is it possible you have space for a old fart (64) who's reactions haven't quite slowed down to a dangerous level lol

9. FeltHλt

FeltHλt Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +478 / 0 / -0
  10. wideboy56

wideboy56 New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    FeltHλt,
    Thanks but I'm looking for english speaking stuff

11. LTC Gaming

LTC Gaming Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    We'll gladly have you. Discord invite below.

12. wideboy56

wideboy56 New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I have joined LTC on discord thank you

• Like Like x 1