GetReal? Really?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sergeich, May 16, 2020.

1. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Right, as mentioned earlier I think Alex deliberately added a very small dose of damage when the timing isn't perfect, to simulate some gearbox wear. Not 100% if that change I'm remembering actually made it into the game, but it sounds like that's what we're looking at here. I remember discussing this internally and among others I was in favour of this.

No gearbox comes out of a race the way it entered it, so a bit of damage accumulation over the course of more than a handful of laps is realistic from my pov. It just shouldn't get to the point where you can't drive the car normally anymore after half an hour, that'd indeed be too much and a problem to solve.
    Would be good to see some values from longer stints to check if it stays manageable.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. wesker6664

wesker6664 Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    yes i understand your pov, i just find it annoying to see some damage when i do my best to drive correctly and in a realistic way... when i see the gearbox damage bar turning orange it really drives me mad :mad:

IMO damage should occur after a longer time, more then 30 minutes at least, not after a few minutes ?

3. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Trust me, I can relate. Side fact, I'm also one of those people who reload in a FPS when the ammo count says 29/30... just can't help it. :D

But since we made that change I view the damage indicator less as a "you-done-sth-horribly-wrong"-sign and more as a wear meter, just like the tyre wear indicators f.e. :)

Obviously I'm not a racing engineer so I couldn't say with certainty, but I can totally imagine a racing gearbox starting to wear out the moment it is put under stress, simply cause the load that's put on every single component is so huge when pushing a car to the limit, plus the fact that these parts, unlike our everyday cars' drivetrains, aren't optimised for endurance but for maximum performance instead, which almost always comes as a tradeoff in the durability department.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2020
  4. sergeich

sergeich Active Member

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    Autoclutch and automatic gearbox at (for example) group5 cars - not assistants??? You just say this is stock car's option?

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  5. sergeich

sergeich Active Member

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    So add "Expert" or "Pro" driving mode where will be only stock car systems allowed.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    No, where in my statement did I say this?
    As already explained above, unlike ABS, TC or stability control, automatic transmission does not change or improve the cars driving characteristics. It does not improve grip or aid in keeping the car on track by reducing certain negative physical effects.
    Hence it is not a driving assist in the sense of those mentioned.
    Server admins can already enforce the use of manual clutch and transmission or in other words they can forbid automatic clutch and transmission.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. sergeich

sergeich Active Member

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    So what for the sequential transmission was designed for motorsport? "Manual with clutch - very good and dont give any advantages" :)))))

Last edited: Mar 17, 2021
  8. Fleskebacon

Fleskebacon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +258 / 0 / -0
    Forgot to post the video I promised. Still an issue with slipping clutch, both with manual and auto clutch, and also when just lifting and upshifting without clutch. Pretty much everywhere, in other words. This is a video showing clutch slipping with manual clutch and regular shifting. I have videos showing clutch slipping in all other scenarios as well.

The funny thing is, what feels best, is to use auto clutch and then shift with clutch like manual.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2021