[Physics Update] Group 5 - 20/05/2020

Discussion in 'Car Information and physics updates' started by Alex Hodgkinson, May 21, 2020.

1. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    Dump the PS5, problem solved!

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. HomieFFM

HomieFFM Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +295 / 0 / -0

I did a few testdrives and it's so much fun, you really need to be aware of what the car is doing at any point, really enjoy this challenge.

It's funny how the shifter sound is perfectly in sync with the real one :)

For the Group 5 cars, H-shifter + clutch pedal is a must have,
    everything else is cheating and should be penalized with a one second shift delay
    :p :D ;D

• Like Like x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2020
  3. Rmbonk86

Rmbonk86 Active Member

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    Did a offline session on Mount Panorama and other group 5 class cars were blowing my doors in the straights off like if they were in a higher class. This was using the capri with ai @104 default setup

Last edited: May 24, 2020
  4. Badgerous

Badgerous Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +223 / 0 / -0
    Anticipating the turbo kick and exiting corners with a bit of oppo-lock in both the Capri and Beemer is an absolute delight.

These cars were good fun before albeit a little predictable - Now it's all about the touchy-feely nuance and throttle control. Great stuff.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Beastux

Beastux Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +281 / 0 / -0
    Well, I have mixed feelings after several hours on track with these updated Gr. 5, which was my favourite class before the update.

I have used the Capri at Zandvoort GP. My lap is 6 seconds slower than the previous one but the car is fun, even if it slides enormously! The overall behaviour of the car is good, even if it's a wild horse!

I have also tried the 935 at Monza GP and it was not so fun. This car previously had a good braking system but now, I don't really know how to get an efficient braking. From 90 to 100 % brake pressure, the brakes lock easily at the end of the pit straight; under 90%, it seems you can't stop the car but what I find strange, it's that this 935 can't stop efficently with a brake balance lower than 60/40. I thought that these german racers (even if Fabcar is not german!) needed more brake on the rear, with this heavy engine at the back, but it seems I was wrong! Under 60/40, I lose the car.

The throttle also needs to be used gently. With the Zakspeed, you have some turbo lag which helps to exit the curves without spinning too often (just like at Brands Hatch's Druids for example). However, with the Dekon Monza at... Monza GP (!), even if I feather the throttle when exiting the 1st chicane, I spin 4 times out of 5.

I know we will all need many hours of driving to feel really good with these updated beasts but I wouldn't be surprised if some changes would appear in a next update.

6. Flintenwilly

Flintenwilly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +115 / 0 / -0
    Is it intended that the Capri is 20 kph slower than the others, by default? I mean i get it that Monza isnt the best track for a Capri, but i got eaten by some Gr. 4 934s. And overall i always want to shift in 6th gear, bc it get on the limiter so fast on the straights. Also the capri is on the highest gear ratio (slider all to the right).

Its ok when that is it what the capri was capable back then, but it feel weird.

7. mmaruda

mmaruda Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +95 / 0 / -0
    Can't really say one way or the other, but it's harder now. Like really. With cold tyres, you can forget about driving on any sort of pace. I tried the BMW at Zand and it took like 3 laps to get me to what I'd consider acceptable time and the car behaving, but not fast. And don't even get me started on the Vette - favorite ride in the game of all time, now it's pretty much undriveable... Well, I mean, it's drivaable, but you have to be so careful, it gives me GPL flashbacks, and Vietnam flashbacks too. My guess is that it needs some setup work, cause 9 times out of 10, I was doing what I'd usually be doing with the car before, but it just didn't work due to some minor rev issue or tyres not being up to temp, cause you can't heat them up as you used to, you need to drive slower I think. The AI is slow in these rides too, which I think is what causes my to fail, they are so slow, I think to myself ' just a little more power and I can take them with ease', but turns out tyres can't handle it. You need longer races and a more tactical, planned approach, like drag ass for 3 laps and only then slowly start to push, otherwise the rubber wont grip.

• Like Like x 1
  8. FeltHλt

FeltHλt Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +478 / 0 / -0
  9. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    Back again with some more testing feedback.

The Capri is now becoming manageable, which is great. Plenty of downforce, good brakes and well behaved on turn in just like pre update. Traction breaks all the time at mid range revs (turbo?) but now I am anticipating it and short shifting up to the next gear. Not great for one lap pace but at least keeps me on the track most of the time. It is definitely suited to tracks like the Ring, Spa and Suzuka. Not so for Brands or Race Room Raceway. My main issue is getting right rear tyre temp up (and I think it is not just me) so maybe they coud have a look at that, especially if the AI are preheated. Even at Suzuka, with its balance of left and right curves, it is running stone cold when lapping in 2:16.

Standard gearing is too low in top for most tracks so the final drive and or ratios have to be adjusted - 265/270kph seems to be max speed without a draft and running standard 14 clicks rear wing and ride height whereas standard gears max out at 249 or so. The other cars in class may have better straight line speed but good luck stopping them and getting round corners in one piece.

The Greenwood was undriveable for me without TC before the update and remains that way due to zero traction at low speed. High speed handling seems quite nice but is a rare occasion as I am usually doing involuntary donuts. The brakes seem bad to non existant but that is quite normal for American cars of the period.

I don´t have the Porsche GR5 but in this game I always have to put more brake balance on the front for any rear engined Porsche, the 90´s Carrera Cup car being the most extreme case. The mid engined ones don´t need it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: May 25, 2020
  10. Vince Wheel

Vince Wheel Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Love what have been done on the Corvette!
    Of course I got a time to adapt again my handling reflexes with this car, but now I understand better the responses, it sounds really great! more demanding than before, the use of throttle asks for much more sens of nuances from me; after all, regarding to the monstruous power and torque, it's understandable, more next to what we supposedly know from the real car.
    Ah, :oops: there will be some minor tweaks on the Gr5 tomorrow? ok let's see then...

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Flintenwilly

Flintenwilly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +115 / 0 / -0
    So I now tested all gr5, except the Japanese ones, can't drive on the wrong side:oops:

Mostly I was driving nords. And I must say they are a blast to drive. Every car needs a different approach and style which is really nice.
    The murican beast you have to drive with a feather on the throttle, shortshifting till the wheelspin is gone. You have to know the bumps on the track, bc when traction is lost the wheelspin comes back and you're out.
    The Capri and BMW are for me the easiest and most natural to drive but have to be more aggressive on the throttle.
    The fabcar is a weird one. I feel quite comfortable with it. It's very stable but also understeer every time. To get rid of it you have to slam the throttle to get the back out, very aggressive driving. What a joy to drive, but from the tested cars I can't get close to the pase I have with the other ones.
    With Dekon I got easily a 7.20 sec after a few laps and yesterday I managed to beat that time with the BMW, but after over an hour of practice.

All in all I am very pleased, that is what I imagine insane racecars from the 70s to be.

Cheers:cool:

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2020
  12. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    Let´s see if the rear tyre temps and traction get a bit higher!

13. Alex Hodgkinson

Alex Hodgkinson KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +1,948 / 0 / -0
    What to expect tomorrow:

- Improved initial grip of tyres when brand new
    - Slightly reduced front tyre heating & increased rear
    - Some better choices of final-drive ratio for some cars at some circuits

• Like Like x 12
  14. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the changes. I was able to finally complete some clean timed laps in the Greenwood for the first time ever. The Zakspeed felt pretty much the same as before but I was only in time attack mode so didn´t really see an evolution in tyre temps over more than one lap on that car.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Wonderful Wonderful x 1
  15. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    Tested the Zakspeed in race mode and rear tyre temps are still too low. Final drive is also too low on Sepang, Hockenheim and Spa. Emperor´s new clothes or have I missed something?

16. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +102 / 0 / -0
    On Zolder, my rears on the Zakspeed are coming alive earlier than the fronts here.
    Make the transmission longer in the setup menu.

17. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    I did, but this was supposed to be fixed in the patch. It´s pretty obvious that 5th is too low on a lot of tracks so it makes me wonder what else is off point on default setup.

My rear tyres are exactly like before on all tracks, There might be a tad more general grip but the temps don´t change and the inner right is always blue no matter what.

I will try the Greenwood again to see if that one does give higher temps.

18. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +102 / 0 / -0
    Was it supposed to?
    But to be honest:
    What is the problem by just klicking a slider 3 times, for now, to archieve another gear ratio?
    This is not even a bug.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2020
  19. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    It´s not a bug but as per the last modfications mentioned below, it would be reasonable to expect not to be on the rev limiter half way down the main straight on 3 out of 5 tracks I tested.

What to expect tomorrow:

- Improved initial grip of tyres when brand new (a bit)
    - Slightly reduced front tyre heating & increased rear (not seeing it so far)
    - Some better choices of final-drive ratio for some cars at some circuits (not seeing it so far)

20. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    Finally had a chance to try all the Gr5 cars today. Greenwood tyre temp is in working range now for me but the Zakspeed unloaded rear is always sub 70c no matter what.

I tried the other cars on free test so no chance to warm the tyres but a couple of them were surprisingly easy and fun to drive - a pleasant suprise!