How did you learn the Nordschleife?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Badgerous, Jun 9, 2020.

1. Badgerous

Badgerous Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +223 / 0 / -0
    Like many here I've been sim racing since the days of TOCA etc, but I'm ashamed to say I've never bothered to learn the Nordschleife.. It just never used to appeal to me.

But things change, and tech/immersion have more than gotten to the point where it suddenly feels like a good idea to get stuck in. I've driven around it a couple of times in a half-arsed way, but nothing sinks in.

My typical way of learning a track just doesn't apply here. If they have shorter versions, I'll learn those individually before stitching them together, or if not, I'll do longer sighting laps before focusing on specific corners until I eventually build a good mental image of what's going on with the whole thing.

..So how did you learn it?

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Gran turismo 5. You used to have to do a challenge where the track was split up into sections.

Other than that just lots and lots of laps.

Don't pick a fast car. Something you can learn the lines without it getting away on you.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Went to the real place a couple times... :cool:

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. keanos

keanos Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +136 / 0 / -0
    Use "small" low powered cars. In R3E the best for this are the M235i or the NSU TTS.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Log laps, and then log more, and drive them technically clean, not abusing options a sim offers. Drive it like you would dare to drive it in real life as well.

True for every track, short or long. This way you learn the track quite fast.

I see no point in being fast by abusing weaknesses in a sim's physics model or a track's layout. What I put into a sim attitude-wise, may it be flight or racing, is what the sim gives me back. Not more, and not less. In a way, the sim mirrors the way in which I approach it.

• Like Like x 2
  6. anno900

anno900 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    like ravey1981. I also had Gran Tourimo 5 and those challegens, which had th advantage that you haven't had to start from the beginning of a lap, helped a lot. later I had that NOS mod for rfactor and I was at the nordschleife several times for VLN races. So the fascination of nordschleife and VLN motivated me to get the Nordschleife running propperly. But in the end it is training, training.....

• Like Like x 1
  7. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +352 / 0 / -0
    I know of this (very long) guide but I haven't watched it myself yet.

• Like Like x 2
  8. TheOutdriver97

TheOutdriver97 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    I learned on GT4 on the PS2 similar to @ravey1981 and @anno900. The Gran Turismo games had a lot of career races on the Nordschleife, some of the endurance events were a killer.

I also agree with some of the points above on starting with something lower powered, GT4 or WTCR would be my suggestion as you can afford to push them a bit more and scramble out of mistakes easier.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Olaf Hülse

Olaf Hülse Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +505 / 0 / -0

If you're German, this was my go to when learning the line and braking points with GT3 cars.
    Greetings

• Like Like x 1
  10. Badgerous

Badgerous Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +223 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the tips.

Good shout on Gran Turismo.. I have GT:S, and believe that does a similar breakdown which could work nicely. - That also means I can relax on the beanbag. ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. sergeich

sergeich Active Member

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    NS - not typical track. If you want drive NS ok - practice Lakeview Hillclimb with non-easy cars (PORSCHE CARRERA CUP CLASSIC, PORSCHE CARRERA CUP DEUTSCHLAND 2019). Try to handle them at Lakeview with GetReal mode and you will drive NS better :)
    Try it and you will understand what about I talking :)

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. Beastux

Beastux Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +281 / 0 / -0
    In Grand Prix Legends, 20 years ago!

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. anno900

anno900 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    Never got a good lap on NOS at GPL....

14. Beastux

Beastux Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +281 / 0 / -0
    I was happy with a 8.20 lap and not too much time spent on the grass...

15. Nico Kunze

Nico Kunze Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +395 / 0 / -0
    Dont think i had a specific approach. I just kept driving until i started to recognize some corners, eventually those corners turned into bigger sections that i could remember and even later those sections connected and i knew the general layout of the track. From there on i could start pushing more and finding the limit (although i was already going fast enough to regularly crash from the very beginning of my nordschleife driving :D)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. Lixma

Lixma Honorary QA

Ratings:
    +174 / 0 / -0
    Ha! Same.

I'd never even heard of it prior to GPL.

17. ibporsche85

ibporsche85 New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    When you become somewhat familiar with a track, look at it in Google Earth or similar aerial view (or a detailed track map if available). Oftentimes what I perceive (on my single, flat screen) as a 90 degree corner is actually a tighter turn (or vice versa).
    Example: Aremberg (the turn before you pass under the bridge). For the longest time, I thought that was a quick 90 degrees, only to find out from viewing imagery that it closer to 60 degrees!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +102 / 0 / -0
    Drive it, drive it again, drive it again.... (for me it was in GTR2)
    Don't hotlap, don't push, enjoy the lap, it has many fun sections..
    When you think, you know the layout, then start refinement:

Best trackguide.

19. TobiSp1981

TobiSp1981 New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I learn the Green Hell by driving every day;););)

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. ozcanuck55

ozcanuck55 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +145 / 0 / -0
    I know the first half ( and the armco) quite well......after about 5 years I'm starting to get to the end without hitting anything......

• Funny Funny x 1