Which 3 aspects would you most like to see improved in RRE (May 2020)?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Vale, May 26, 2020.

?

Which 3 aspects would you most like to see improved in RRE?

Poll closed Jun 16, 2020.
  1. User Interface (in game menus and in game alerts e.g pit menu, HUD, warnings)

40.8%
  2. Graphics (cars and tracks)

39.8%
  3. AI (how computer controlled cars behave)

29.6%
  4. Control device compatibility and Force Feedback (how well the game works with my input device)

15.3%
  5. Game content (cars and tracks)

33.7%
  6. Multiplayer online mode (dedicated server management, rating system, ranked servers)

38.8%
  7. Competitions / Esport

7.1%
  8. Physics (car handling)

16.3%
  9. Virtual Reality compatibility

11.2%
  10. Other (please make a post commenting in more detail)

17.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    Re-shade!

2. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    The number at the end of each lap gets smaller! :D Sorry, couldn't resist.

3. mikkonassi

mikkonassi New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Improvements to the "grip line."

It makes driving, and figuring out the best line really weird in many places on raceroom.

It seems like the inside of the "grip line" is just as low-grip as the outside is. In real life of course the outside of the normally driven line is considerably less grippy than inside of the normal line (more marbles/dust/etc end up on the outside).

The inside line in real life also gets used more by drivers that turn-in earlier, and overtaking situations also put cars on a tighter entry line.

This is particularly noticeable in some corners where a normally good line is to use a lot of the apex curb, but doing so puts you on the tighter line that's not the "grippy racing line" as defined by raceroom. So you can be driving the tighter line for ages and feel like it's working great... but then out-brake yourself once and suddenly find the super-grippy racing line.

Often the grip line is not where you would expect it to be, so a lot of experimentation is required to find it.

It also seems like the grip line gets grippier around the apex, which isn't necessarily true at all vs. real life. I'm not sure about this, but in many places it definitely feels like there's a "super grip" zone mid-corner, and you need to crank in lots of extra steering lock to take advantage of it - which feels very un-natural and gamey.

It would be much better if there was no baked-in grippy line in my opinion.

4. majuh

majuh Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +257 / 0 / -0
    As far as I know, grip is exactly the same everywhere between the white lines.

5. oldspalover

oldspalover Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Saving the game for endurance races that well be welcome, fingers crossed.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. Ziggi di Zimt

Ziggi di Zimt Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    - User Interface
    - Graphics, Dx11 o. UE5. custom Skins and custom Trackside Banners.
    - Game Content, More TCR Cars and Series, Super Touring Cars 90 to 2000.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. mikkonassi

mikkonassi New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    This from another thread from a beta-tester:
    Finding this mystical grippy line is super annoying, and also makes corners much more of a "one line only" affair.

I can drive a track for ages only to then see someone else take an-extra wide entry that doesn't make sense but is fast.... because there's an insane amount of grip there vs. the tighter entry I was taking.

In many slow corners this does make two lines possible:
    1. Find the hidden grippy line, and drive it.
    2. Use a very early turn-in, and then do all the rotation mid-corner when you hit the "grippy zone."

In real life the grip difference between "the line" and outside of the line when you get to the marbles can be quite drastic.... but the slightly-tighter than normal line has very small grip difference, or none.

Sidenote: I'm not sure how much of this is me creating this in my head... but I've definitely convinced myself that this does exist. :sweatsmile: In some corners I don't know how much the strange feeling is the slightly odd effect that track camber & elevation changes have on the grip, and how much of it is this "grippy line" thing.

• Like Like x 1
  8. majuh

majuh Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +257 / 0 / -0
    I'm pretty sure he's talking about the loss of grip when going off the track. See this post: https://forum.sector3studios.com/in...ai-actually-stick-to-tires.14397/#post-196227

You only hear those dirt sounds if you actually leave the track.

Do you have any examples of corners that require an extra-wide entry?

9. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +355 / 0 / -0
    The dirt sounds only came later in discussion. First they were talking about marbles - which are on the track, not outside of it, and I think Christian's comment was still in the same context - different levels of grip on track.

10. Carlos Barros

Carlos Barros Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Move the chat out of the virtual mirror, or change color, and a way to recover it. It's like 1 second time, so most of the times I can't even read it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. Ty Duff

Ty Duff Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +54 / 0 / -0
    For other - some for of livery customisation, even if it is along the lines of ACC.
    For content - filling out some of the classes and championships where there is only one or two cars or missing tracks, getting the license for essential content - not being able to drive lemans after all these years is a shame.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. mikkonassi

mikkonassi New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Yeah I'm pretty sure he was taking about varying grip levels between the white lines.

When I first started to take part in some races on Raceroom a few months ago, so many things felt "off".

The way I described it back then was along the lines of:
    -It's like the physics change from corner to corner, not just track to track.
    -You have to search for the line through trial and error and try different funky things to make it work.

It just confused the hell out of me.

Things like why does it seem like why in so many places holding a tighter line on exit helps the car rotate so much better vs. just letting the car flow out a bit more (normal real-life line/technique). This is explained by the outside tyres being on the grippy lines, and inside tyres on the "slippery" part, moving the yaw moment towards oversteer.

Now that I realise that there's a "grippy line" it makes so much more sense. Still super frustrating but at least I understand a lot of the weirdness now and know better what things to try to find the final tenths.

The problem with it being quite a big difference in grip levels is that it means that it's difficult to figure out what's fast, and often results in a very unnatural way to drive a corner. Even a track I've driven extensively in real life is almost like learning to drive a new track on raceroom because I have to find the invisible grip line through trial and-error.

If the "grip line" isn't where the normal line is for the car you're in, you need to adjust the line as if it the corner had variable banking... but you can't see where the banking changes, so there's a lot of guess work to find it.

The difference in grip levels on raceroom feels close to the difference in the "dry line" in the wet vs the "wet line".

I should really start a separate thread to discuss this and provide some example corners where it's obvious.

If there is no "grip line" then I need to find another reason for all the weirdness I'm feeling.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. SuperMonacoGP

SuperMonacoGP Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    Le Mans
    other GTE beside the 911
    Day and night transition

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Viggdred

Viggdred Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +118 / 0 / -0
    Day/night transition; driver swap....
    Newer LMP1 and LMP2, alongside with GTE...
    More of the GT4 grid...

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    A FIAT group license would definitely open up a huge number of new cars to fill out classes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Zziggy

Zziggy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +73 / 0 / -0
    I havenĀ“t checked this information, but a usually well informed collegue told me that Ferrari is now an independant company, though Fiat Chrysler still holds the majority of the shares.

17. TheOutdriver97

TheOutdriver97 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    Licensing is generally done with each manufacturer separately rather than through an entire group.

This is why Audi and Porsche were licensed in Forza Horizon 3 but Volkswagen decided not to allow the licensing for that game.

Some manufacturers even go as far as to allow licensing for some of their vehicles but refuse the licensing on others.

Licensing is very complicated and often there seems to be little or no reasoning behind decisions.

18. Cheeseman

Cheeseman Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +265 / 0 / -0
    More cars, particularly the one car classes like GT2, GTE and classic DTM and the release of some of the competition only cars. I really love the Lada TCR, please let me buy.
    Some user interface update would be nice as the current one is quite old, especially the old splash screen.

• Like Like x 1