Released Game Update - 20th May 2020

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by J-F Chardon, May 20, 2020.

1. higsy

higsy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +123 / 0 / -0
    Agreed, rr has some fantastic content and great features but some of negatives are outweighing the positives. I myself hope/wait for improvements but I barely play anymore and have moved on to other sims. I was a fanboy at one point but esports focus has left me sour as well as ffb difficulties, lack of features in other sims and no roadmap. I mean rsr is great car , but what was the reason for release? Was more cars intended, with Daytona are we adding endurance races. Driver swaps were mention ages ago. This pandemic was a perfect start to kick this sim in the a$$.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    Around this time last year, the devs published a development roadmap - perhaps now would be a good time to revive that and also respond to some of the requests we have made in the recent surveys e.g. UI updates, future content etc etc.

3. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Single car classes that shouldn't be are a pet peev of mine it has to be said, but as was mentioned previously the studio don't have complete control of what content or features are implemented, they do a great job within the framework they currently have. I'm sure they would in an ideal world like to have a blank canvas and a bottomless pit of money with which to create the perfect game, alas, that's not reality.

Esports is a necessary evil I'm afraid, many of the cars and tracks we have are as a direct result of esports tie-ins. It pays the bills I suppose.

4. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    Well that would be true if I'd purchased a finished product, which I haven't, I've been asked to put my faith in an evolving product, which I have 100%. All I'm asking is if it worth my continuing to do so, not unreasonable me thinks, just a simple request for some information, so I can make an educated decision on whether to continue dipping my hand into my pocket. I'm disabled and on a fixed small income so every penny counts for me, every penny, I've had 8 years faith, now maybe S3 could perhaps enlighten us just a little, ffs, anyone would think I'm asking to borrow the crown jewels for a hen party, I'm just asking what's going on with RR.
    If S3 aren't able to let us know perhaps RR or KW themselves can wade in with some info.
    I don't believe for one minute KW asked for an endurance Porsche to be added, just seems so random, no night/day, no driver swap, crazy shit man! Perhaps I've just lost faith. :(

Last edited: Jun 23, 2020
  5. RampageRacing

RampageRacing Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    I love R2E. It is far and away my favorite sim. Part of the reason for that is because it gives you the ability to have total control over what parts of the game you spend money on. I own only my favorite cars and the North American tracks. The cash outlay to do this is a fraction of what I would have to spend on many other sim games and then I would have paid for a bunch of content that I do not need or want.

I am not sure that a switch to a new game engine would be a great upgrade to this sim. Even using Directx9 it is favorably comparable to other sims in AI, physics, graphics, sound and ffb. The devs frequently update all of those which is appreciated but can honestly be a double edged sword when cars physics and tire changes suddenly make drastic changes to the way a favorite car handles leaving the player floundering to find a new setup that works for them.

There is a steady stream of new content but because of the diversity of the racing content it can be a long wait before specific tracks or additions to classes get added. A single car in GTE, only 4 cars of the many options in GT4, too many single marque spec classes, etc are a bit frustrating. However, the content that IS in the game makes it one of the best sims available.

It is fine to wish for more but we should also appreciate what R3E has to offer. I know I do.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    You won't get any information regarding long term plans. Even those of us who are privy to upcoming content don't know anything that happens behind the scenes.

I don't understand the problem. Nobody is asking you to pay for anything. You can use all the content you have for no ongoing cost. Any and all changes to the physics and additional features are provided free of charge.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    These are two very valid points. I feel we do get less info about plans than, say Rfactor 2 or AMS but those games have a different business model and community content is encouraged.

On the other hand, games like Project Cars, Pro Cycling Manager and FIFA want you to pay for a new game every year or so for minimal improvements.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. pixeljetstream

pixeljetstream Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +412 / 0 / -0
    They are also independent afaik. Kunos is no longer but at least owned by a regular gaming publisher. Different situation for most of those companies.

9. Arcson

Arcson Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    But what about all of these things that Sector3 provided just because the community desired them? AI selector, flatspots or (still being developed) ranking system, just to name a few. I'm sure that what community is asking for is never left unheard. I believe the stronger the feedback, the more eager KW is to allow S3 going particular way. @Vale surveys were quite interesting in this regard. BHGP is an obvious exception though :p

10. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +352 / 0 / -0
    What's wrong with esports? Genuinely asking.

Personally I'm too bad for it so it's not a thing for me, but I'm always glad when I see esports events taking place here and there, especially in R3E. I'm a fan of simracing in general, as a phenomenon, so for me esports is a sign of simracing growing bigger.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    One complaint is they block development such as physics updates as cars can´t be changed in the middle of a tournament.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +352 / 0 / -0
    I don't think that's a big issue, if ever. As far as I understand, you don't need to stop the development, only postpone the release of the changes.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. pixeljetstream

Ratings:
    +412 / 0 / -0
    That is what I meant with s3s is doing the best with their abilities. The changes we do get do not require fundamental engine changes. They either live outside (ranking, primary menus) or are local improvements to AI/physics, ffb etc.

Whilst graphics netcode, in-game hud (not the overlay kind which is html) and fundamental architecture of data flow are frozen in their principle systems.

What we get is still a decent amount of work, but it has to live within limitations and as mentioned before working within a design that is that old doesn't make workflows efficient by modern standards. It is utterly frustrating that the owners decided to literally burn money on a no-show GTR-3 than doubling down on an existing product that could have been in great shape technology wise by now.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2020
  14. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +352 / 0 / -0
    KW owns Simbin UK?

15. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +790 / 0 / -0
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. GooseCreature

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    KW's a suspension company, makes things that go up and down, not flatline like Simbin, separate companies I believe!
    Surely even the name GT3 is a thing of the past, no room left in the market place for such a Sim. Maybe it's S3's association with Simbin that has Collied my Wobble, something has, as I feel as disconnected from RR as I ever have, S3 have never been that forthcoming with news at the best of times but lately (I know, the worlds on fire) things have just ground to a bumble, see no game plan, is there anyone, S3 or customer that can give an idea of what the future holds for RR, buggered if I have a clue, yet I'm guessing my custom is still wanted, I'm still expected to buy more random cars and obscure tracks but to what end?
    I also have to make clear here, I'm only asking about things that S3 brought up a couple years ago, I'm demanding nothing, I just would like to know, very much if something is going down with regards to the 21st century, DX9 is 18 years old now, surely Microsoft will stop support soon!! :D

17. pixeljetstream

Ratings:
    +412 / 0 / -0
    Imo s3s has been pretty communicative for a long time. Then a few times their openness backfired around some big releases, because guess what their priorities were changed. I guarantee you that when those ue4 screenshots were released they also thought it wouldn't take beyond 20 year anniversary of dx9 ;)
    What I don't understand is your reasoning regarding "expected to buy". Developers offer something "as is", you either value that good/service or not. This is not some investment scheme, no one is actively engaging with you to buy stuff and convince you etc. There is virtually no ads on this forum pushing certain cars/tracks between the posts?

• Agree Agree x 2
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2020
  18. Cheeseman

Cheeseman Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +265 / 0 / -0
    Honestly, I do not mind the graphics as much. As much as I want a new engine but that is something difficult to achieve.

The main issue with the game now is the content, there is still a steady stream of content but they are either solo car classes if not they are esports only. It would really be great if past esports cars can be released in the near future. Particularly that EV that I miss driving where I am pretty happy to get it outright if it is added to the store.

Really hope the TCRs will be released in the store in the near future. The Lada TCR is fun to drive.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Turtle Power

Turtle Power Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    Not sure why people keep talking about the future of RR or the new engine or whatever? It is awesome as it is. Start driving!!!! A few new features and options will do, otherwise its an amazing package.

NOT worth pumping money in for the content you might only fully enjoy in future? Personally, enjoying as is right now. Once again, I would like a few new options e.g. (moving seat left and right, seat tilt, warm up lap before race, cool down lap after the race, road bumps etc...).

Finally, it feels great, the graphics are sharp and clean, it doesn't burn your computer like other sim titles and it offers a great performance. (some track a lacking smooth graphical performance but nothing is perfect)

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. GooseCreature

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    This Sim will only survive as long as existing users are prepared to keep investing and new blood is being brought in. Standing still will see neither of these scenarios continue, as other titles progress and the gap widens this will become more apparent. For such an old engine it should run far better than it does, just take a regular peek at the ongoing issues that some have, if a 20 year old engine still doesn't run right then surely there is little hope it ever will, it was never meant for doing what it's trying to do and is so bastardised that it wouldn't surprise me if bailing twine and sticky tape aren't its main components.
    Such a niche hobby with several options available and more arriving regularly, at some point saturation level will be reached. I invest in all Sims, yes including iRansom, they indeed hold several cars and tracks in a dark place, bound and gagged until I dip my hand in my pocket again, which I probably won't as it drives like a bag of shit. I drive a bit, I watch a lot and RR is dropping off the streamers list and they're about the only advertising RR gets. Some of the newer streamers don't even mention it as it appears to be so last gen. I'm only passing on my observations, as a previous RR fanboy with just a few laps under my belt that this Sim needs to up its game or it will go by the wayside.

Attached Files:

• rr.png
      rr.png
      File size:
      8 KB
      Views:
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1