Problem I have fps drops and and the game freezes for 1 sec all the time

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by daniel1, Jul 5, 2020.

1. daniel1

daniel1 New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Hey there i have problem with Raceroom again. (iam from austria). my problem is that when i play, i always have fps drops which means my game doesnt run smooth anymore. I posted it 3 times in "help" but no one responded me. So its like my game is freezing for 1 sec all the time. Other games like I Racing, Asseto Corsa are runningsmooth so it might be an raceroom problem.

2. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    FPS drops are usually from running higher graphics settings than your system can handle or CPU hitting 100% and causing a momentary bottleneck. Things that use up CPU are lots of AI cars and other background apps. Eg if you leave chrome running in the background that can use 10% of cpu on its own. A starting point would be to run the game and the game only and check your graphics settings. Iracing is a lot more efficient on the way it uses resources than raceroom as is vanilla AC.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2020
  3. Ragnar

Ragnar Member

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    Another thing that can interfere but is often overlooked is a Windows wallpaper change. I had mine set to change every 5 minutes, and when it changed, many things stopped momentarily. I always turn that off when racing just to be safe. Likely not your problem, but thought I would mention it.

• Like Like x 1
  4. daniel1

daniel1 New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    ravey1981 I already play the game at the lowest setting and have only Discord and Chrewchef only running in the background. I have never had anything else. The funny thing is I have only had the problem for 2 days and have never had the problem. And I didn't download anything, download the 2 days or an update.
    And I've played the game for 1300 hours. Got the problem for the first time. In any case, thank you for helping me

5. Hervé45

Hervé45 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +135 / 0 / -0
    An Update windows?

6. Hervé45

Ratings:
    +135 / 0 / -0
    Delete
    Documents\My Games\SimBin\RaceRoom Racing Experience\UserData\graphics_options.xml
    smiley54.gif

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. daniel1

daniel1 New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Yes I did. But only after I've had the problem. I thought maybe I would solve the problem and I also checked whether all drivers were up to date. (Are they)

OK I'll do it one day

8. Hervé45

Ratings:
    +135 / 0 / -0
    Rename
    documents \ Mes jeux \ SimBin \ RaceRoom Racing Experience

Like that
    documents \ Mes jeux \ SimBin \ RaceRoom Racing Experience.old

And starting the game with new all settings and new rcs

9. daniel1

daniel1 New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Hervé45 Thanks helped me. The FPS drops are gone and the freezes for 1 sec are gone. Picture is again fluid and no more jerky.
    Many thanks.
    If I have the problem again I should do it again.

Only deleted the graphics_options.xml folder

• Like Like x 1
  10. daniel1

daniel1 New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    The problem is back. Exactly the same is again. Should I try that now? What you said to me last. Rename Raceroom to old

11. Hervé45

Ratings:
    +135 / 0 / -0
    Perhaps
    I don't know

12. Ragnar

Ragnar Member

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    I struggled with something like this quite a while ago where my system would stop updating the video for several seconds and it was a bear to uncover the root cause. For problems like these you have to look at the entire operating environment, not just the application in the foreground, R3E in this case. I used the Windows Performance Toolkit. It has a recorder and an analyzer, but one needs deep technical knowledge in order to interpret the data acquired. If you have such, I suggest downloading and installing it, running the recorder capturing CPU, video, power, and sound, and reproduce your problem. Once reproduced stop the recorder and save the trace. Then open it with the Performance analyzer and find the place where the video stopped updating. You then have to examine the events leading up to the incident. In my case, I found that an Intel driver was holding a kernel lock while the system was powering down a disk drive, and while the driver held the kernel lock, the video was frozen. As soon as the driver released the lock, everything returned to normal. My solution was to turn off power savings on my hard disks and the problem went away.

These are hard problems to solve, but if you have the skills, this is one approach which has worked for me. Good luck to you.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. daniel1

daniel1 New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the info, I will do it one day.