Question Can anyone recommend good joypad settings?

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by RWB 3vil, Jul 2, 2020.

1. RWB 3vil

RWB 3vil Active Member

Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    My Fanatec pedal snapped on me so i cant use them for racing. I do have a xbox 360 for Windows joypad, and although I would prefer to be on pedals, i dont have any choice after what happened.

I've never tried to set up and use a joypad for a sim racer so any tips on settings for pads would be most welcome

RIP
    [​IMG]
    And noticed the pots were shredded
    [​IMG]

2. Alex Hodgkinson

Alex Hodgkinson KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +1,948 / 0 / -0
    Here you go

Attached Files:

3. RWB 3vil

RWB 3vil Active Member

Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    Thanks Alex, will that template work for the 360 pad. I dont have the Xbox One version

4. Alex Hodgkinson

Ratings:
    +1,948 / 0 / -0
    Ah - sorry I misunderstood which one you were using. That one won't work, but the settings within it will.
    Interested to have your feedback so if you'd like me to provide you with a fully working version do say.

5. RWB 3vil

RWB 3vil Active Member

Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    Yes please.

6. Alex Hodgkinson

Ratings:
    +1,948 / 0 / -0
    I'm not sure which one you want, wired or wireless so here are both.

Let me know how you get on please!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  7. RWB 3vil

RWB 3vil Active Member

Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    Thank you Alex.

EDIT: I liked your profile but i find that once the car breaks traction its a little difficult to get back.

I added my version adjustments to this post. I find with the tyre traction breaking, playing with the min max steering speed and different throttle and brake sensitivity helped on top of slightly different thumb-stick sensitivity sectors helped.

Car was DTM 92 Mercedes
    Track Raceroom (Sprint)

EDIT 2: I tried your template again this time in full nords, as mine got a bit sloppy because i fiddled with the analogue sectors too much as I didnt fully understand the settings. I wil lsay that with more laps it feels pretty solid, but when you reach the extreme speed sections of a track like nords the steering becomes dead and you come flying off unless you slam the anchors on and i know you can go faster through Kottenborn and Schwedencruz so i adjusted your 100 steering sensitivity (after experiments) to 70 as any lower makes the car a bit twitchy on faster paced sections (added my tweaks as an upload if you wish to try them)

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2020
  8. RWB 3vil

RWB 3vil Active Member

Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    Further tweaks. I found a sweet spot between super downforce cars and touring/gt3. I also adjusted button controls to more useful or needed most on the spot

X= Shift UP
    A=Shift Down
    Y=DRS/P2P
    B=Motec dash display page switch
    Left Shoulder= Launch Control
    DUP=Brake Bias Foward
    DDown=Brake Bias Rear
    DLeft= TC setting down
    Dright=TC setting up
    Right Stick push inwards/click= Flash Headights

Keyboard
    Up Arrow= Pit menu up
    Down arrow=Pit menu Down
    Left Arrow = Pit menu selection left
    Right Arrow= Pit menu selection right
    ENTER= Pit menu confirm selection

W=Seat forward
    S=Seat backwards
    A=Seat down
    D=Seat up

SPACE= reset VR

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2020
  9. Alex Hodgkinson

Ratings:
    +1,948 / 0 / -0
    Thanks very much @RWB 3vil - so would you say that the profile I sent to you is an improvement over the current default? In fact could you switch back to that just to try as a comparison for me please?

10. RWB 3vil

RWB 3vil Active Member

Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    Yes the one you sent is better than the default. I have muscle memory still engaged as i just recently stopped playing with my V2 version or your base upload so i will run a few laps of it again, then go back to your preset then use the total default and then get back to you.

Ill run the DTM merc as its strong and sloppy weight transfer can unbalance the car which is why i used it as a test car then ill run open wheelers and come back to you

• Useful Useful x 1
  11. RWB 3vil

RWB 3vil Active Member

Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    Test track Zandvort.

Famous for its grueling long and sweeping corners i thought this ideal to take the merc out to test the sensitivity and speed sensitivity differences between your alternate xbox profile and the default.

In short your profile is far more stable and precise across many corners types at Zandvort. It falls behind the default on turns 7 and 8. I assume this is due to your settings of 100 speed sensitivity compared to 55 of the default.

[​IMG]

Time wise it was milliseconds differences, however the default is oversteery/sensitive so the tyres are scrubbed way to easily and its much easier to lose control of the car and lose a lot of traction compared to your profile. I set your speed sensitivity to 85 and 90. 85 brings some of the twitchiness back but turns 7 and 8 are easier to navigate with less off throttling.

As a whole yours is much better for someone to start the game a new using a 360 gamepad. I think players starting out on your template will appreciate its great control and smoothness .

I would like to ask why your throttle and brake return are at 60 compared to the default of 80% . How much does it help the car with your setting compared to the default?

Also I would make a suggestion to add better tool tip detail as to what the analogue sectors actually mean as its not clear. I've learnt after this tinkering that its a dampening type setting with the dampening being decreased as the analogue sector number is increased.