Problem Micro stuttering - Help required

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by [RWB] Asa, May 4, 2020.

1. [RWB] Asa

[RWB] Asa New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi,

Problem: I'm getting micro stuttering intermittently and its driving me insane. This is the only game i experience issues with and I don't know how to resolve it, despite doing countless changes to graphics settings and burning google's search engine out with my searches.
    The problem seems to be at its worse when there are multiple cars on the grid or i'm going round bends. I'm getting a constant 130-170 FPS using the steam counter, so don't think its dropping below my refresh rate of 100Hz. When I experience it around bends, it sometimes causes me to not react to over steer quick enough which results in a spin, or if we are entering the first corner and there are multiple cars, I might not brake quick enough due to a micro stutter.

Has anyone experienced anything like this and if so, how did you resolve it?

If you need more info, ask away.

Thank you.

Spec:
    i7 7700 @ 4.9GHz
    16GB DDR4 3000mhz
    MSI 1080
    Game is installed on a normal 2TB 7200rpm HDD - Would i see any benefit of putting it on my SSD?

Attached Files:

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +790 / 0 / -0
    in nvidia control panel ; set pre render frames to 1

Andi

3. majuh

majuh Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +257 / 0 / -0
    Are you sure it's microstuttering and not tearing? You should try enabling VSync.

4. [RWB] Asa

[RWB] Asa New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hey @majuh

Tried enabling V-Sync in both the Nivdia control panel and also in the game software, makes no difference.

I've also used the Steam command line to limit the FPS to 100, the same as my refresh rate - no improvement.

Its definitively stuttering and not tearing - I do experience some slight tearing at the higher end of the FPS scale, but that problem is eliminated with V-Sync.

5. Bavarian_Firebird

Bavarian_Firebird Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    Do you use one or two grafic cards?
    No need to enable VSync on both ends. Normaly activating in the Software is enough except in nvidia control panel is choosen to override software settings.

6. [RWB] Asa

[RWB] Asa New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi @Bavarian_Firebird

Just the one, MSI GTX1080.
    Yeah I suspected that was the case, but tried it anyway to see if it made any difference.

7. Bavarian_Firebird

Bavarian_Firebird Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    Two thinks came to my mind:
    1. Download and install the nvidia driver again. In the installation menu click on advanced and choose reinstall below the component selection.
    2. if working (some dont plug it in) watch your HDD activity light on the computer if its on high activity you should consider a ssd-drive.

8. Dr_DeathMD

Dr_DeathMD New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I'm having the issue with the latest patch. I'm getting random stutters (didn't have before) and the FPS used to be rock solid 90 an drops into the 60's!

9. majuh

majuh Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +257 / 0 / -0
    Have you tried fullscreen mode instead of borderless windowed?

10. Dr_DeathMD

Dr_DeathMD New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Yes I only play in fullscreen.

11. majuh

majuh Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +257 / 0 / -0
    The display mode in your screenshot is set to borderless windowed, though.

12. Arthur Spooner

Arthur Spooner Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432 / 0 / -0
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. BeefMcQueen

BeefMcQueen Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +183 / 0 / -0
    Any chance you're using otterhud or second monitor app? On some tracks those applications not only cost me around 10fps (still leaving around 80), they seem also to cause some micro stutter - on my quite outdated system at least.
    What also caused some stuttering for me was using a USB headset for discord. Switching to my surround system cured the issue immediately.

14. Dr_DeathMD

Dr_DeathMD New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    No I tired one of the hud mods but it caused stuttering so I deleted it and turned off anything running on my other monitors. I have a lot of USB devices. Speaker, DAC/AMP, pedal, wheel (separate inputs), TrackIR, CH fighterstick for handbrake in DR2.0 keyboard, mouse, etc. Not really any that i can disconnect sadly.

15. Lixma

Lixma Honorary QA

Ratings:
    +174 / 0 / -0
    RR suffers from micro-stutters when cars rub against each other. It's most noticeable when the whole pack attempts to navigate the first corner.

Not sure why - perhaps the game is briefly overwhelmed by loading a ton of scuffed bodywork decals, or scraping sound effects, all at once?

16. Bull Shark

Bull Shark Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    I experience the same indeed.

17. Bull Shark

Bull Shark Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    Moved the game files to my SSD and now it runs butter smooth. :D Steady 60fps on 7800x1440..

18. Peter Stefani

Peter Stefani Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    The only ting that solved it for me was to run it in 32 bit mode.

19. amg_aku

amg_aku New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Disable FFB and try.

Had the same problem and was solved installing very old Win drivers for my Fanatec.