Problem Can't get into settings

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by Nash Bobo, Jul 21, 2020.

1. Nash Bobo

Nash Bobo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +386 / 0 / -0
    !6.9.JPG

I changed my picture settings from 4:3 to 16:9 to see if I would like it. You see it above. Well, I can't get back into my settings in the top right to change it back. The links doesn't work in the top right. Is there another way to change it back or another way into settings?

"Nash"

2. Nash Bobo

Ratings:
    +386 / 0 / -0
    Now, just a few links around all the pages work. Most of the links do not work.

"Nash"

3. Gazza

Gazza Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    I had this problem when I changed resolution. I changed the Resolution back in the graphics setting in My Documents I think as I was unable to get the mouse back to the settings button:)

4. Hervé45

Hervé45 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +135 / 0 / -0
    Delete graphics_options.xml
    In My documents/My Games/SimBin/RaceRoom Racing Experience/User Data

5. Nash Bobo

Ratings:
    +386 / 0 / -0
    Thanks guys. I'm back in the game. Is the game just made the 4:3 format? Can you really make the game to a 16:9 in the video settings? I don't know much about it, I need some education. I 'am trying to get more field of vision if possible.
    Thanks again
    "Nash"

6. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +352 / 0 / -0
    I don't know about windowed mode, I think it should be fine if you also select a resolution that is 16:9. I mean, that's how it's supposed to work anyway...

7. majuh

majuh Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +257 / 0 / -0
    Your screenshot is 1440px * 900px, so you should try an aspect ratio of 16:10.

8. Nash Bobo

Ratings:
    +386 / 0 / -0
    Majuh, I tried, and that pix above is what I got with the links not working. I could not get the aspect ratio of 16:9 to work thru RRE video settings. So, I had to undo. Does anyone have a work around? Maybe I can only work though Win 10. Is the 16:9 only stretching of a 4:3 format to 16:9 screen. I am looking for more "field of vision", not just a stretch across my monitor. If the 4:3 format is the only format RRE offers, I understand.

"Nash"

9. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +352 / 0 / -0
    I don't quite get what was the problem. Аnd probably what was the goal too. I just changed video settings in the game from fullscreen 16:10 (what I use) to borderless windowed 16:9 and 4:3 with corresponding resolutions and everything worked fine, as it should. Maybe you picked a resolution that was bigger than your screen?

If you want to see more of the road - I mean wider camera angle - then increase FOV (field of view). If you want to see more of the game, try choosing fullscreen.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2020
  10. Nash Bobo

Ratings:
    +386 / 0 / -0
    Maskerader, I have only a 19", 60Hz Monitor and some of the stuff is hard for me to see and understand. You told me info I didn't see or understand. Borderless windowed was no different. Fullscreen in 4:3 resolution, a big differance. Could not change the "display"(1) or Could not change "Field of view"(1x) in "video settings".The game would not let me exit. The "yes" link in "exit to desktop" screen of the game doesn't work, but "no" works in the "exit to desktop"screen. So, I had to do a hard shut down. I'm happy with what you taught me. I would like you to help me on getting the "yes" to work on the exit screen. Rebooted and restarted the game, nothing.

Thanks "Nash"

11. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +352 / 0 / -0
    I kinda sounds like the same issue, really...

If I'd run into something like that, I'd assume that there's a de-syncronization between what I see and what areas on the screen I should aim at with my mouse, something like that:
    Untitled-1.png

So I'd move my mouse around a required button (left, right, up, down, etc.) until I see the mouse cursor changing from an arrow to a hand and the button animation turns on.

But I guess simply finding a way to press a button won't solve your overall issue with how video is set up for you in the game... On all your screenshots the game is run in a window, which doesn't let you utilize the full width of your monitor. Do you really run the game in windowed mode? If yes, then is there a solid reason to do that instead of running the game in fullscreen? Have you tried running the game in fullscreen?

Last edited: Jul 23, 2020
  12. Nash Bobo

Ratings:
    +386 / 0 / -0
    The "yes" link moved over left closer to the "No" link in "exit to desktop". The space between "No" and "Yes". I was hoping someone would know something I could delete in documents to make another exit screen. Right now, I can find no problems in the game in Fullscreen 4:3. If you think of a way to get the "yes" link back in syncronization let me know.

Thanks for all your help.
    "Nash"

Last edited: Jul 23, 2020
  13. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +352 / 0 / -0
    Since it's an issue with graphics settings, you can do this again:
    This file contains your graphics settings. When you delete it, the game creates it again with the default settings. That's why it can fix some problems.

No problems at all, or some buttons still don't work?

What's the native resolution of your monitor? If its ratio is 16:10 (as in your screenshots), why not use it in the game too? This way you should have the correct ratio, whole screen used and all buttons working.

14. Nash Bobo

Ratings:
    +386 / 0 / -0
    Maskerader, I deleted "Delete graphics_options.xml" and it worked just like you said it would. I didn't know RRE rebuilds all graphics from this .xml "yes" is back in place.

"native" resolution?
    resolution1.jpg

This is what I changed in video settings.

Display = 1
    Display mode = Fullscreen
    Aspect ratio = 16:10
    Resolution = 1440X900 60Hz
    Vsync = did not change What is this?
    Field of View = 1x (could not change) Why can I not work with this? Or do I want to work with this?

All buttons and graphics work.

"Nash"

15. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +352 / 0 / -0
    Ah, that's good to hear. Be sure to check out your graphics settings and adjust some if you need, because deleting graphics_options.xml reverts both video and graphics settings to default.

Simply speaking, when enabled, this option limits your FPS (frames-per-second) so that it equals refresh rate of you monitor, and that each frame is shown at exactly the right moment (exactly each 1/60th of a second for your monitor). When turned off, your FPS may exceed the refresh rate of your monitor and some frames can appear "chopped" horizontally, but you can also experience smoother framerate at low FPS.

There are various pros and cons for this option, but that'd need a whole separate topic. If you want, you can change it and see what suits you better.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2020
  16. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +352 / 0 / -0
    That's really strange that you can't change it. I set my resolution to the same as yours (1440*900) and it allowed me to change FOV. I have no ideas why would it be locked.

Whether you want to work with it or not, depends on your preferences. It's hard to describe the difference between wider FOV and narrower one in just a few words (probably this video can help: click here). In the end it always comes down to just trying different FOV values and seeing which one is in the "sweet spot". This is totally a matter of preferences.

It's probably worth creating another thread here about why the game doesn't allow you to change FOV, looks like a bug. As a weird workaround you can attach your graphics_options.xml file here and I'll try to edit FOV value in it so that you can try different FOV values and see if some do better than others for you. Don't worry, you can backup your original and properly working graphics_options.xml file and get back to it if some issues appear again.

17. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +352 / 0 / -0
    You can also edit it yourself, if you want. I'm not sure this will work when your game doesn't allow to change FOV in a proper way, but worth trying. (First make a backup copy of graphics_options.xml just in case.)

1) Open graphics_options.xml with a Notepad (right click -> "Open with..." -> choose Notepad). What you need is this line, it's exactly the 17th line:
    Untitled-1.png

2) Then edit this value, something like that:
    Untitled-2.png
    Don't mind zeroes, you can leave them or delete them like I did, it doesn't matter. The game will "understand" it anyway and will correct it. Sometimes it'll correct it to something like .69999998 - i.e. not exactly 0.7, but very close to it. It looks strange, but it's normal.

3) Save the file.

4) Run the game and then start a practice, a test drive or anything, and see what it looks like.

If you want to change it again and try other values, exit the game and repeat.

18. Nico Kunze

Nico Kunze Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +395 / 0 / -0
    Just out of curiosity, does this method of editing allow you to go below 0.5 and above 1.5 (with it then being properly displayed in game of course)?

19. Nash Bobo

Ratings:
    +386 / 0 / -0
    Maskerader, Wow! you given me a lot to do and think about. I might show my Ignorance about the game and some computers stuff. I don't think I need to change the Vsyc under what you said. Once and a while the monitor will flicker and freeze for a slit second then go back in the race. How is the best way of testing (FPS, refresh rate & graphics etc) your monitor and computer graphics against the RRE's game? The only way I can think of is a bunch of cars on a small track in AI. Making a lot going on. Challenging your stuff on your side of the router against RRE's side of the router. Is that about the best way of testing computers? I do have my FPS on low in RRE.

Is the FOV in "video setting" doing the same thing as trying to adjust FOV when you are setting in the car or people trying to work with triple screens? I did go back to the FOV and tried again, but no luck. The little back & forward arrows on the sides or "Field of View" were not black and the apply button at the bottom wouldn't light up. nothing. I have work with some of those computer files watching Youtube videos.

Problem I am having now is when I am in multiplayer. Waiting on the splash screen with those flashing white dots. The servers wouldn't let me in after about 5 mins of flashing, possibly I am too late to join. I didn't know how to back out and go back to the multiplayer menu. In the pass before I went to fullscreen I would click on my task bar to get my task manager and delete the game and start all over again. Now, with the fullscreen I do not know how to get to my task manager when in fullsreen. So, I do a hard shut down. Is there a better way of getting out of that screen when the servers have a hold of the computer and will not let me in the race? "Esc" will not work on that screen.

Thanks for all your help.

" Nash"

20. Nico Kunze

Nico Kunze Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +395 / 0 / -0
    You can press "ctrl", "alt" and "del" on your keyboard all at the same time. Thatll bring you to a screen where you can then start the task manager