Telemetry SecondMonitor (Timing & status App)

Discussion in 'Community Workshop' started by Winzarten, Oct 26, 2017.

1. heavelyz

heavelyz New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Hey, liking Second Monitor - just started using it.
    Am I right in thinking that the data persists only whilst second monitor is on? I.e. once you close second monitor, the data is lost.
    Having reopened SM after having used it last night, I can't find the data from that session.
    Do you have to actively save the data whilst you can see it in SM?
    Apologies if this is noddy user confusion.

2. Winzarten

Winzarten Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +377 / 0 / -0
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Vince prude

Vince prude New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    we're having problems with the broadcast monitor. i can't make a connection with the server computer. we tried all the IPs on the right side and we even tried it the other way around (server to client) both didn't work.

4. Winzarten

Ratings:
    +377 / 0 / -0
  5. Vince prude

Vince prude New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    @Winzarten we are not on a local lan. I’ll try and find the logs.
    (I’m a racer not a computer tech )

And for the .plap file. I only need the telemetry so thats good! And it works!

6. DYL3MMA

DYL3MMA New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    @Winzarten is it possible to change text size? At the moment, it's running as a client on my laptop and the screen isn't very big. It's hard to navigate when the text is so big and I need to scroll to see lap times...

7. Winzarten

Ratings:
    +377 / 0 / -0
    The logs directory can be accessed from the settings, there is a open log button. But I think I already know what is going on. Those IP provided by the app are local Lan IP, these will not work if you try to connect from outside of the lan. For that you need to use your public ip (https://whatismyipaddress.com/) + set-up port forwarding on your router.
    But even if you get it to work, the feature is not really designed for this use-case, as it has very high data usage, as not much time was spent to optimize it ;)

Not currently, it is on the TODO list

8. Zziggy

Zziggy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +73 / 0 / -0
    Constistency value as seen in simracingresults webpage would be nice. The formula would be: Best Lap / Average of all other laps (omit: first lap if session is race, laps that are 21seconds over average [when pitstop]) * 100 (percent). Thank you!

9. Vince prude

Vince prude New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Thanks!

10. Winzarten

Ratings:
    +377 / 0 / -0
    This looks easy enough, I'll add that on the todo list ;)

11. Zziggy

Zziggy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +73 / 0 / -0
    Thank you! To clarify, all laps (also invalid ones) are included in this statistic!

12. Cologne Racer

Cologne Racer New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Hello Winzarten,

another question about SM. Is it possible to directly compare your own telemetry data with data from other drivers from a common race?
    So for example my best lap with the best lap of driver x, y who also drove the race?

Thank you
    Cologne Racer

13. Winzarten

Ratings:
    +377 / 0 / -0
    Not yet. I plan to work on something like that after I'm done with the ability of exporting/importing/modifying sessions in the telemetry viewer.

Ofc, other drivers have only limited data available, so most likely you will be able to see their location and speed, and not much more ;)

14. Winzarten

Ratings:
    +377 / 0 / -0
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Cologne Racer

Cologne Racer New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Ok Thank you.

Cologne Racer

16. Cologne Racer

Cologne Racer New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Hello Winzarten,

I still have a question about the fuel calculator. It has happened to me several times that the calculated fuel quantity in the race is too little. Although I have already filled up 10 minutes and 2 laps more than is actually necessary (according to your tool's calculation). For example, I went to Suzuka for a race
    55 min of fuel for 65 min plus 2 laps and had to refuel shortly before the end. Is there something wrong with the tool?
    Thank you so much!

Cologne Racer

17. Winzarten

Ratings:
    +377 / 0 / -0
    Hey
    The calculation is based on previously observed consumption, for the car/track combination. So if you have only done short stints in practice, or qualification, with low fuel, then the estimation can be off, as your fuel consumption in those sessions can be lower than in race with heavier car. Even a small difference will add up over an hour race. You can see if this is the case in the reports, as they also contain fuel economy information.

To avoid this issue, you can run a separate practice session, with higher fuel load (just 4-5laps should be enough), and use that for the fuel calculations. you can select which session you would like to use from the list on the left side of the fuel calculator.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Zziggy

Zziggy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +73 / 0 / -0
    @Winzarten how will running on 2x fuel consumption influence this statistic? Is this accounted for?

19. Winzarten

Ratings:
    +377 / 0 / -0
    There is no special handling of 2x fuel consumption, as there is no reliable way of detecting it.
    In most cases, it shouldn't matter, as what the app is computing is just fuel consumed/distance.

Where it will matter, is the overall fuel economy for the car/track combination. As that is computed from multiple (up to 20) sessions. So if you sometimes run normal fuel consuption, and sometimes 2x. Then the average will be off. This is something to be aware off, becasue average is what is used by default for calculation.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Cologne Racer

Cologne Racer New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Ah, ok I did not know that!
    Thanks

Cologne Racer