Laptimes in Car Setup Menu

Discussion in 'Knowledge Base' started by Kris Em, Aug 16, 2020.

1. Kris Em

Kris Em New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi there

Just wondering if anyone knows why the Laptimes shown in the Car Setup Menu differ (are faster) than the ones recorded to the Leaderboard.

Thanks

Kris

2. Lixma

Lixma Honorary QA

Ratings:
    +174 / 0 / -0
    The leaderboard is a separate entity - meaning, if you do a 1:30 during a leaderboard challenge, and then do a 1:29 during practice/race, the leaderboard will not record your 1:29.

Also note there is a delay from setting a personal best on the leaderboard to it actually appearing on the tables.

Raceroom would benefit from a 'personal bests' page e.g.

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Kris Em

Kris Em New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the fast response Lixma,

Unfortunately not what I meant though...

I'v been Racing in the Fr2 Competition at Portimau. My recorded Best lap time is something like 1:28:4, which shows on the Leaderboard for that Competition. However if I go to 'Return to Garage' / 'Car Setup" the list of laptimes there show a faster 'fastest' lap time, like 1:26:4.

Is this a glitch or is this normal and I'm missing something?

Thanks

Kris

4. Nico Kunze

Nico Kunze Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +395 / 0 / -0
    One thing to note is that the lap times on the setup page include invalid laps. Given that portimão is a track that can produce quite a lot of invalid laps this might well be the explanation for the difference in lap times you see although a 2 second difference seems quite big

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Kris Em

Kris Em New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks Nico, That'll be why!

6. James Dill

James Dill New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Adding onto this, why is it that the game shuts off your live lap time in the cockpit during an invalid lap? I mean, if you are having a great lap and go outside the limits by a couple inches, wouldn't it be nice if the time just went red so you knew it was invalid, but still showed you the lap so you can concentrate on still perfecting things? It's very frustrating.
    In real life they don't turn off the "stopwatches" if your crew knows you missed a corner by inches, right?
    Do the other popular sims do this as well? My experience with them is limited.

• Agree Agree x 4
  7. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    The problem is that it's (almost) impossible to accurately say how much time was gained by the illegal line, so the rest of the lap is fairly irrelevant. Some external apps do keep the clock running (secondmonitor does) which allows you to compare delta times in corners further down the track but even then, the actual laptime is of little importance.

8. James Dill

James Dill New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks ravey. I've been meaning to get second monitor up and running. I guess that's as good a reason as any.
    I still think it's unusual. Maybe it's just me, but for instance, especially at first corners, if you barely exceed limits, it is sort of a disincentive to push push the rest of the lap.
    I'll get over it. I was just curious.

9. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Well thats the point isn't it? If you have invalidated your lap then there's not much point pushing anyway.

10. James Dill

James Dill New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    As I said, it could still be useful if I know I "barely" exceeded the limits but still managed a very good lap during that lap. It actually would give me a reson to continue to push. "If I just do a slightly better job on that first corner, I can still finally get below my goal of x:xx.xxx time".
    It's incentive, and it makes we want to keep working at it. Ssomtimes the frustration makes we want to turn the sim off and do something else.
    Some people may feel otherwise.