Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by HomieFFM, Jan 19, 2020.

1. FeltHλt

FeltHλt Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +478 / 0 / -0
    just grab game pass :cool:

2. Bull Shark

Bull Shark Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    Yeah for 1dollar I can try it for a whole month indeed. Perhaps I go that route.

3. Flintenwilly

Flintenwilly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +115 / 0 / -0
    Its a great game.

Sadly my old Logitech g940 is not working properly. No FFB, ok its old, can live with that. but the buttonmapping is not working. i cant use the small sticks to look around and not all buttons are working. but at least the flying with the joystick is way more smooth than in x-plane, at least something.

and i have the, hopefully, bug that i dont have accsess to premium, although i bought it

4. Bull Shark

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    Just subscribed to the game pass. Tomorrow I will start the download. If I like the game enough I will buy it. I have a T-Hotas one flightstick which I bought for Elite Dangerous a couple of years ago. So I will use that one together with my Fanatec pedals for the rudder controll :D

5. Flintenwilly

Ratings:
    +115 / 0 / -0
    Fanatec pedals didnt work on my end. Maybe you can get them to work. if yes would like to know how;)

6. Turtle Power

Turtle Power Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    Furthermore in regards to the MFS, there are updates after updates every time I turn it on. I read this in other forums and its true. For some people its a letdown but I say its a good thing since MFS need lot of work. Many things are just wrong and not working properly. Performance issues are massive but once again, updates are there to patch the gaps. You should not have any high expectations at least not for a few months.

7. Bull Shark

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    Have you seen the vid form Game Muscle?

8. Flintenwilly

Ratings:
    +115 / 0 / -0
    I knew he uses some, that's why I had the idea to use my own and have more space in my rig, than using rudderpedals of the g940.
    But that vid I haven't seen, thanks!

• Like Like x 1
  9. CheerfullyInsane

CheerfullyInsane Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402 / 0 / -0
    Yep.
    I mean, it looks fantastic, no argument there.
    But once you get past the 'Ooh, shiny!' phase, you start to discover the flaws. And there are quite a few of them.

I'm sure it'll improve, but right now we're a loooong way from knocking either Prepared or XP11 off any thrones.

10. Badgerous

Badgerous Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +223 / 0 / -0
    I'm in a similar boat.. - The initial novelty factor has worn off already, and while I'll no doubt dabble here and there it's in no danger of taking time away from anything else atm. - I immediately dropped it in favour of the new track here. :)

I'm looking forward to seeing what VR brings to the table, but at the moment I get more excited about taking a P-51 for a 'spin' in DCS World to get my flying fix.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Bull Shark

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, tested the game for several hours but as much as I liked the first few FS games I can’t get excited by this one. Perhaps it is me getting older. I don’t feel the love anymore which I had in the early days of flightsimulator from Microsoft. Glad I did not bought it but got it via the Game Pass. Got it for a month for €1. So after that, it will be removed from my SSD. :D

12. Turtle Power

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    Currently MFS does not offer much of enjoyment. Obviously still work in progress. many issues like graphical performance, crashes, missing aircraft and content. Many airports are only partly done. That being said, it might be best to wait for a few good months if you are not in rush. I can see my self enjoying this sim but not just yet.

13. Bull Shark

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    Yeah but I only have 1 month of game pass access. For now I say no. Perhaps over a year when I also planning to buy a new GFX card.
    I have not that much spare time left for gaming so I need to be carful in which game I put my time.
    Race games it is atm.

14. Rodger Davies

Rodger Davies Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    You can always subscribe to GamePass for another single month to try it in future, even without the newbie discount it's still cheap to trial things for a month.

15. Bull Shark

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    That is a possibility indeed. For now I pass but who knows some day in the near future...:D

16. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    I am 53 years, and a 30 years old dream has come true: sim-flying in this visual quality. I am a long-time sim flyer, practically since I was out of school. My first flight sim was a certain Flight Simulator II by SubLogic.

This one is continuing a core strength of the series, I think, and that is its modular structure which will prove to be its great trump card. Every factory version of FS was more toy than simulator in the past. It were addons, mods, third party modules that turned the toy into more a simulator. PMDG for example have confirmed officially that they will bring all their four main products (737 747, 777, DC-6) to FS20.

I flew in Germany in the past two days. I recognised so many places. Easily. The mix of fiction (autogen structures) and reality (Bing aerial photos) works so damn well. The colour palette is greatly choosen, loks very natural. Wetaher and clouds, the water - superb, excellent, you could use superlatives and would not exgaggerate it.

My system can handle it better than i expected. At medium and high settings, I get around 60 frames in GA planes at full HD resolution, single screen, trackIR in use, CH Gear Fighterstick and ProThrottle. I still need to find and unpack my pedals again, though. In smaller planes, they make the difference, in arliners not so much.

I considered myself an IFV airliner flyer. Flight planning, fuel calculation, FMC coding, button pressing orgies, that was my thing. This thing now probably will change me. Its a waste to fly this sim at 35000 feet. I plan to repeat what I did over ten years ago: doing an around-the-globe trip in several dozen short hops in small and medium- sized planes, every hop lasting only 1-2 hours. From Germany to Britain, the coat upwards and via Shetlands to Iceland, Greenland, Canada, USA. Criss.crossing there to my liking, then the Westcoast upowards to alaaska, aleutan island, and into Asia. And so forth. Could become a months-long operation. Once around the globe, frei nach Schnautze, watching the world, the sky, the weather, everything. And surely now there is really worthwhile stuff to look at! Every landing site will be next day's starting site.

Volltreffer! After a sim-racing-induced brake of several years, I am back into sim flying, both wings stretched. I think racing will get some less time from me in the coming months.

I am curious how VR will be next year (only support for one modern headset gets released in autumn already). I do not hold my breath, in XPlane 11 it did not really convince me after a longer testing phase, but I tried button-click festivals in airliners in VR, and used the fully VR handling method, and that without hardware HOTAS. A button-slimmer GA plane for VFR and with hardware HOTAS might show up to work much better.

There is a whole world to discover, it seem to make not much sense to repeat what I did in FS98, 02, 04 and X: collecting plenty and plenty of airport sceneries between which I then trafficked exclusively. Such scenries are great to use, but they limit your choices of destinations. That collides head-on with what FS20 has to offer: a full world globe to discover. And you know what? I'm fine with that. I will miss a night approach on Heathrow with a superrealistic airport simualtion module and all them lights, Frankfurt in the mist and a rainy day for that Innsbruck approach, all these hubs with all the realistic lights and runway markings and such. but I have no craving at all to do all those endless installation dances again (and pay thta aweful lots of money). FS20 offers the full packages: weather, traffic, scenery, and no additional mods really needed at all. Maybe its the age, but I am thankful for that relief!

I appreciate what FS20 offers very much.

For those not knowing, they seem to plan a lasting long term committment with regular platform updates every three and every single months. Practically all third party developers of size and relevance have confirmed they develope for this new platform, especially aircraft and scenery design teams.

I have just uninstalled XP11. Had not used it since over a year anyway. Always felt sterile, and looked too artificial. When I flew a GA plane in the alps yesterday, I immediately felt reminded of Condor Soaring Simulator 1, that good the dynamic air simulation and even air rises and drops and thermals at ground vicinity and steep hills/mountains was, very alive. No more flying on rails. I must try whether the model is good enough to even allow at least an "echo" of (motorized :) ) wave soaring...

Enjoy this: what is real, what is sim?
    https://i.redd.it/58caz431nsh51.png

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2020
  17. Turtle Power

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0

Lengthy post. Thanks. I agree with you, this sim is like no other. A whole world in front of your eyes in your home at your convenience. For all sim enthusiasts its a dream come true. I love any sim that can offer a good amount of realism but I will break it down into a few categories.
    For example: Racing category: Why I prefer Raceroom over other sim titles? Because it feels so immersive, sounds are amazing and the connection between the driver and the car is almost like real (well maybe not everyone would agree with this but this is how I connect with Raceroom). Next, Euro Truck 2. Many would say WTF? Anyway, why ETS? Because its like a form of meditation and relaxation while cruising with music ON and enjoying the scenery. I find it very beautiful. The controls and FFB is great too. Using manual shifter is a blast. Nothing fast and crazy.
    Finally, we have the latest and greatest MFS: Once again different title but it has something more special then just flying. A whole real world to explore and see from above.

The moral of the story is, Love all three titles for different reasons. MFS will become one of my fav sims once they get things fixed. Until then, I will continue to enjoy RR and ETS2

• Like Like x 1
  18. Bull Shark

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    same for me regarding age and first flight sims. That was a great era. Now we have the high quality visuals etc and now I should like it the most. Played for several hours but it is not my cup of tea anymore. Or perhaps it still is but I don’t have the time anymore. So many other games and hobbies. I really cannot find the free time to put in FS2020. Perhaps in one of the upcoming years when I don’t like to race anymore.... for now I leave it on the shelve.. happy flying you all. :D

19. Andy Kettler

Andy Kettler Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,107 / 0 / -0
  20. Dave R

Dave R Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +576 / 0 / -0
    [​IMG]

This game just continues to get better and better. I've played nothing else the last two months.