Does anyone else think NASCAR totally sucks?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by SparksLG15, Sep 7, 2020.

1. SparksLG15

SparksLG15 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I used to think it was cool when I was about 5 years old and my parents bought me a nascar game. Then I found out that there are other forms of car racing and I immediately started to wonder why anyone would ever want to race, watch, or talk about, nascar.

I actually have three complaints here. The first and second apply to oval racing in general, and the third applies to nascar specifically. (Warning: this is gonna be rude and overly dramatic.)

I'm not a part of the "it's easy, anyone can turn left" crowd. I recognize that it's difficult. But I also recognize that it's insanely boring. An idiot friend I used to have invited me to an oval race, and I made the mistake of actually showing up. We drove in a circle for 5 minutes, and I think I actually dropped about 10 or 20 IQ in the process. I'm SO not trying that again. I probably would've had more fun playing with hot wheels. Why would you do that instead of driving on an actual track? It's like if you had all of the finest dishes in the world to choose from, and you chose to eat McDonald's. What's hilarious is that your average nascar fan would do exactly that.

The 2nd issue is that oval racing is a flat-out assault on the ears. In an actual track race, the cars dip in and out of the corners gracefully and quickly, like hawks snatching birds out of the water. You hear the beautiful purring of the cars as they glide through their rpm ranges and shift through their gears. But in an oval, they're are constantly droning in a tiny rpm range. Nonstop. No matter what cars are on the track, that will always sound like crap.

My last complaint is that the stock cars used in nascar races look like garbage. Look up "nascar" and take a look at the images. If you have eyes, you'll notice they all have basically the same ugly, generic body with stickers for lights (?????) and liveries that make you feel genuinely sick. Think about that. Graphic design that is so bad, it messes with your stomach.

When I was trying to settle on a racing sim, I heard that R3E has no nascar tracks, and that's how I made my decision! Do you agree with me, or is there something wrong with you? Let's talk about it!

• Dislike Dislike x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2020
  2. Skev

Skev Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    I enjoy watching most motorsport, but ovals send me to sleep too.
    I nearly didn't buy the Daytona track, because it had an oval layout.

3. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +170 / 0 / -0
    I really don't like the "I don't like it so anyone who does is an idiot" approach to your post. I think it says a lot more about you as a person and your own lack of intelligence than it does about the merits (or lack thereof) of Nascar.

With that said, I don't like Nascar. For me all oval racing is boring to watch, and boring to sim-race myself. I just don't enjoy it at all. However, I don't like watching chess or lectures on rocket science either, but that doesn't mean I think everyone who does is an idiot. I tend to reserve that title for people who feel the need to make a point on a forum by insulting others for no reason whatsoever.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Balrog

Balrog Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +466 / 0 / -0
    Indianapolis 500 was one of the first games I ever played (on my father's work notebook as a 5-6 year old child :D), it was my introduction to both racing and gaming and yet I don't like oval races. I've been thinking about why is that and I came to the conclusion that on a traditional circuit (or road course overseas) it's quite obvious what separates boys from men. Usually, you can actually see why someone gets pole position and then a race win, because he handles the car visibly better, brakes later, carries more speed through the significant corners and so on. But it's much harder to tell on ovals. Races tend to be very long and most of the running doesn't really matter, because the last stint decides the winner anyway. But I have nothing against NASCAR itself, throwing a stock car around Watkins Glen is an awesome experience.:cool:

5. Badgerous

Badgerous Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +223 / 0 / -0
    I like the idea of it because of growing up with 1). Days of Thunder, and 2). enjoying causing the biggest crashes I could with the original Papyrus Nascar game.

While I suspect it'll get a bit dull quite quickly, experiencing this wall of noise*, and just the sheer scale of event of somewhere like Daytona is on my bucket list though.

*It's like Drag Racing.. That gets dull fairly quickly, but everyone should experience the absolute insane feeling of a top-fueller blasting off the line from ~15m away.

6. Bull Shark

Bull Shark Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    I never liked NASCAR. I just don’t like it. Can’t give another reason.
    Nice to see other people do love it but for me it is a no go. :D

7. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    Nascar was probably at its peak in the late 80s and through to the late 90´s. The drivers had personalities and were not afraid to speak their minds or use their fists (always remembering to include the names of their sponsors in iterviews) whereas now it is all corporate and politically correct and the racing is organised around ad breaks and play offs like the super bowl.

I think they got overexposed when they went from 29 to 36 races a season and got rid of a lot of the classic tracks in favour of boring 1.5 mile ovals but for sim racing it is very educational as you learn to drive in a pack, some car set ups you woud never use on a road course and tyre and fuel management from drafting.

8. XanderSJX

XanderSJX New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I don't like nascar because i am fan of open wheels mostly. Plus ovals are more I think about endurance racing and for me it was easy to watch for example Iowa Indycar race month ago.
    About driving it. When driving on the edge, no matter if it is Nord's or Indy or Avus. To be fast you can't "drop any IQ". ;)

As for you deciding to pick a sim that has: best AI, one of or the best sounds, one of the best FFB, biggest base of cars (without mods). And from all of that you pick it because "it doesn't have ovals". o_O

9. kendoslow

kendoslow Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +49 / 0 / -0
    I'm not a big fan of watching it but I used to really enjoy playing the original Nascar Heat and N2K3 very exciting close racing.
    Did some online back then with NH and always found the others nice and friendly.

10. SparksLG15

SparksLG15 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The reason was to make people laugh! Trying to be funny without insulting anyone is like trying to clean a window without getting it wet.

11. rd.king

rd.king Active Member

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    The reason was to make people laugh.
    And here I thought you must have been stamping your feet all the way through your little tantrum.

12. SparksLG15

SparksLG15 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I suppose I should've made that more clear

13. Dave R

Dave R Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +576 / 0 / -0
    I enjoy the road courses, superspeedways, and short tracks. The 1.5 miles to 2 mile races bore me and I rarely watch those.

14. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Papyrus Nascar Season 2003. No other racing sim found it so easy to make my hands sweat and wet and my mouth fouling and cursing. some hair-raising racing I did with that. Who thinks Nascars is boring never has tried to race in the middle of the pack, cars on all sides 20 cm away.
    Watching it on TV however indeed is, well, boring. Driving it yourself, if the sim is well done, is nerve wrecking.
    Its just that it seems as if since 2003 no other good Nascar sim came out. The Papyrus game was so good that you even forgave the famous rubber band in its AI.

This intense feeling I never have gotten in a race game again, not in GTR2, not in AC/C, not in RR.

15. Nico Kunze

Nico Kunze Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +396 / 0 / -0
    Used to feel a similar way (admittedly before ever watching one :D) but started watching indycar in 2015 and for obvious reasons had to watch some oval races because of that. At first the "theyre boring" turned into an "its not as bad as i thought but definitely not something id need either". Then the race at fontana came and i absolutely loved that, havent been that excited about a race many times in my life. From there on i started to enjoy the oval races more although of course there are some boring ones in there as well (the same can be said about road courses tho)

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Beastux

Beastux Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +288 / 0 / -0
    I'd like to see a Nascar class in RaceRoom, only to be able to drive those cars at Sonoma and the forthcoming Watkins Glen! :D

17. SparksLG15

SparksLG15 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It's probably more fun in real life than it is through a screen in my mom's basement

18. Dave R

Dave R Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +576 / 0 / -0
    Agreed. I'd also like to see the Whelen Euro Series. Those races are a lot of fun to watch

19. pierredietze

pierredietze Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +232 / 0 / -0
    Well...

4.jpg

anymore else to say? I think someone kinda likes Nascar when he has a wheel for his Thrustmaster base.
    Here is the point. On street circuits, you have this moment when you're fighting with an opponent car. You get closer and closer until you got him. Side by side through two bends until you pass him and get away from him. YES! So, how often does this happen? 2 times a race? 3 times a race?
    In Nascar, you can race the complete distance side by side, 3-wide all around the track only 10 inces away! You have 5 or 10 overtakes PER LAP. Your race strategie is 50% gambling, because you are running out of fuel permanantly and waiting for the next "full course yellow" to make your pitstop. Thats awesome. I don't care how the cars look, how boring the track are (in your thinking), set the AI matching your speed in Nascar Racing 2003, and you have the race of your live.

• Like Like x 1
  20. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    I neither enjoy Nascar or iRacing but I spend ages watching iRacing Nascar crash clips, if only for the hilarious abuse thrown between the drivers, funny old world we live in! ;)