HUD OtterHud - A custom WebHud - With additional features

Discussion in 'Community Workshop' started by OtterNas3, May 7, 2019.

1. PanVlk

PanVlk Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    Are you sure you don't have the "show all widgets" turned on? If so, turn it off, it's just there for easy configuration of widgets that are hidden most of the time.

It would explain the weird data and stuff like flags and spotter shown all the time.

• Winner Winner x 2
  2. Coanda

Coanda Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Legend!

That sorted it out... :oops::cool:

3. PanVlk

PanVlk Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    Glad to help. This feature just populates the widgets with fake data so it's easier to set their positions, but it's true the naming is a bit confusing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. nolive721

nolive721 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +72 / 0 / -0
    My fav HUD since i first used it last year.
    I dont want to be a pain because you are doing lot of efforts with addons and i asked before but any chance to implement a tire flat spot indicator?

Thanks so much

5. nolive721

nolive721 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +72 / 0 / -0
    i think I have answered my own question, or somehow. I did some hard braking test and the tire wear % on the widget would translate in indicating flat spot.just trying to figure out the actual threshold

6. Coanda

Coanda Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    I noticed when I have this HUD enabled through CC my driving view (cockpit) is not as fluid. It's a little choppy and laggy.. As soon as I disable this it is back to normal. I tried the various performance modes in the settings however it still performed the same.

Has anyone else noticed this..?

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    It uses some cpu cycles so if you are running your CPU very high anyway it can cause stutters.

8. Coanda

Coanda Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    I have a couple of cores/threads (6/12) at 60% the rest are in 30-40% range..

Got a new CPU coming next week so hopefully all will be butter because it's a really nice hud..

9. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    I run it on an old i5 3470 and also run CC, secondmonitor and simhub so unless your current cpu is an absolute potato it shouldn't be causing problems. I run locked at 60fps though.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Coanda

Coanda Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

Good info to know as my current CPU has more grunt than your i5. I also run capped at 60 FPS.

wierdo.. :confused:

Add: I do run a custom 4k resolution on 1080p. I wonder if it has anything to do with that..

Last edited: Sep 10, 2020
  11. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Probably, why do that? You are forcing your system to work harder for no reason. Just run the native resolution of the display.

12. Coanda

Coanda Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    My GPU is hardly working at a mere 60% as I am generally CPU limited. Upscale resolutions give better AA and picture quality especially if TAA is involved..

13. Coanda

Coanda Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    I retested with native 1080p resolution. It was more smooth however the AA and graphics took a big hit.. It was also fairly blurry so a sharpening filter through nVidia would have to be used.

what a shame...

14. Arthur Spooner

Arthur Spooner Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432 / 0 / -0
    Superscaling produces a nice image, but it costs a HUGE load of performance.

In case you're on an nVidia GPU try the following:
    Stay with the native resolution in RR.
    Activate ALL AA inside RR, except for FXAA - FXAA has to be disabled.
    Go to nVidia control panel and create a profile for RR - there usually is no default profile created.
    Crank up anisotropic filtering there to the max. RR doesn't have anisotropic in its settings, so you have to enable this from the outside.
    Enable FXAA from the nVidia control panel.
    No sharpening.

Why? FXAA is a cheap anti aliasing filter that actually blurs the whole image a bit to achieve some AA. Problem is that some edges don't really get filtered by the standard AA in RR and that FXAA from the RR settings looks badly blurred all over the screen. After fiddling around a bit, I found out that FXAA activated from nVidia control panel does a better job at filtering while not blurring as much as the RR built in FXAA. I'm not really sure about the reason, but maybe something with the order in which the filters are applied.

For me this gives the best quality/performance ratio. I'm on a GTX 1070 and play on a 48'' TV with 1080 quite close in front of my eyes.

15. Coanda

Coanda Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the advice however I can not stand FXAA. As previously mentioned my 1080 ti is only at 60% load with 30 Ai and 4K upscaled resolution and all RRE settings maxed out. I already run a custom nVidia inspector profile that has x16 AF..

Next test I would like to do is try running the HUD without CC..

Last edited: Sep 10, 2020
  16. Mettiti

Mettiti New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    It seems that a number of elements were added to shared memory, like pit info and incident limits, which is GREAT. I'm wondering if the web HUD is gonna include those soon ?

• Like Like x 1
  17. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    They will only be added of the maker of this app @OtterNas3 chooses to update it to include them.

18. VLX_NovA

VLX_NovA New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Just noticed this today, since DTM 2020 has been fully released. The DRS and P2P prompts on the HUD overlay on top of each other and can't be separated. Is this something that can be rectified? Maybe make them into 2 separate widgets? Loving the HUD though, really like having lots of info whilst I'm driving

• Agree Agree x 6
  19. Fleskebacon

Fleskebacon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +258 / 0 / -0
    @Coanda I have also noticed a huge performance impact when running 4k, whether it's native 4k or DSR. In 1080p it all works like a charm. It's strange that changing the resolution has this big an impact on the CPU use of a simple overlay...

I'm running an i5-9600K@4.7Ghz, and I can't use the custom webhud, because it causes stuttering from the CPU maxing out. You should think that a web overlay wasn't supposed to do this, but it's not Otterhud's fault - it's the whole implementation of it. Sector3's example overlay does exactly the same.

My GPU is running at like 60-70%.

In most scenarios it works ok, because I've got the CPU power to spare, but approaching Eau Rouge on Spa with any enemies at all, the CPU maxes out and FPS drops to ~55, which for me is unplayable.

20. majuh

majuh Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +257 / 0 / -0
    I think the semi-transparent HUD elements have a big performance impact. Maybe making all the HUD elements opaque would help with the performance.

• Like Like x 1