Talking GTR4 Porsche Setups

Discussion in 'Knowledge Base' started by Aurigarius, Sep 20, 2020.

1. Aurigarius

Aurigarius Member

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    The CS MR is sooo light at the rear end, it wants to step out in nearly every corner...I never found a solution to keep the backside where it belongs. Is the real car really that bad?
    The Clubsport is somewhat softer, but still not great.
    What have you done to the cars setup-wise to calm them down?

2. Arthur Spooner

Arthur Spooner Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432 / 0 / -0
    I honestly don't think so. I've seen onboards from the Nordschleife with telemetry-overlay so you can see what the driver is doing. They were totally lifting the throttle at a lot of corners without any oversteer being induced, no blipping on downshifts whatsoever. You could see the driver steering totally smooth into the corner, no countersteer. Something more or less impossible with the RR car.

And although I really don't like excessive lift-off-oversteer on my cars, I often drive the Cayman for the challenge. Another point is that the M4 is a bit OP in this class and I generally don't like driving the OP car. I really like the M4 and its characteristics suit me a lot better though. Not a big fan of the other GT4s generally.

Setup wise I usually reduce rake quite a bit by lifting the front. This reduces the lever arm of the heavy rear when slowing down a bit. So the rear doesn't do too weird things. And I also slightly stiffen the rear dampers a bit to prevent the rear from acting too nervous. This must be done carefully though as too stiff dampers will lead to loss of ground contact.

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. Thomas Jansen

Thomas Jansen KW Studios Developer Beta tester

Ratings:
    +562 / 0 / -0
    The various caymans have definitely been on my radar for this behaviour, I've managed to tune it out pretty much completely by significantly reducing the engine braking while coasting. Unfortunately this won't go live for a while and it's not something that you can change yourself, the only thing you can do is trail the throttle a bit, maybe 10-20%, into corners, which effectively does the same as reducing the engine braking.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. goldtop

goldtop Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    I've just skipped the start of my league's GT4 season because of this issue. The 718 Cayman just lets go with little warning and no catching it.

Problem isn't just confined to this car either, Touring Classics M3 has become almost undrivable and there are many other examples. A mixture of dodgy physics updates and ffb failings going back to December 2019. Raceroom used to be my go to sim but I've given up on it. Rant over, time to move on!

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  5. Thomas Jansen

Thomas Jansen KW Studios Developer Beta tester

Ratings:
    +562 / 0 / -0
    The 981 Cayman Clubsport (the trophy class) is now updated to the latest physics, including the engine braking reduction I mentioned above, should give that a try now and compare! :D

• Like Like x 1