Night/Rain?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sergeich, Sep 21, 2020.

1. sergeich

sergeich Active Member

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    Devs, when we will see night driving in RR? Rain?

2. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +170 / 0 / -0
    Seriously? This has been asked, demanded, discussed, complained and whinged about soooo many times on this forum already. The official answer? There is none, and asking repeatedly isn't going to get one. :rolleyes:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 2
  3. Bauer

Bauer Active Member

Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0
    • Funny Funny x 2
  4. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Dont be so rough, he is not even one year a member here, maybe he just does not know. Did you guys know anything about RR from beginning on?

Sergei,

the current engine does not allow that, I think, and it is old, DirX 9. . They announced some longer time ago that they want to bring RR to a new engine (or the engine to RR), updating the DirX in that process from DirX9 to something more contemporary. We do not know what has come of that and what their status is with that. With the current engine, you will not see night racing and weather.

The positive is: the current old engine and DirX still look good and can hold their ground, and they give good, smooth VR without needing killer hardware.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
  5. nolive721

nolive721 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +72 / 0 / -0
    I dont think its DX9 related.Look at this video, it shows RF2 that had Rain&night implemented on this old version and then they transitioned to DX11 with graphical and FPS improvements, in 2017

AC didnt have Rain&night implemented at launch but an independent developer managed to execute a superb implementation there (SOL)

Sector3, please:D

6. Zziggy

Zziggy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +73 / 0 / -0
    It should be easy to implement: racing in rain is simply racing into a white wall! Even in singleplayer you may not see the track properly. Additonally surprise aquaplaning - I´m sure everybody will hate it. It´s something that you like to have but then never use, like a status symbol for racing games.
    Night racing is different though, but with the strong headlights on recent cars it´s no challenge.
    So nice to have but absolutely no need to have.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Arthur Spooner

Arthur Spooner Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432 / 0 / -0
    I guess you're not actually serious her, aren't you? o_O

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    If it is so easy too implement rain racing, then i wonder what took studios over twenty years to finally come up with ACC that is the first - AND ONLY! - sim in my book that got rain driving, the feel of it, somewhat right. Rain there has been before in some titles, and none of them was convincing in that. Not even netKart which also was by Kunos.

9. n01sname

n01sname Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +956 / 0 / -0
    I can easily follow - mind the irony - and from that perspective he is actually right.
    Bit like LASER SCANNED TRACKS - demand determines supply no matter if useful or not. Someone decides it has to be a must have - so be it and voilá : a hype is created & a pile of bucks gets a new owner :D

(Nonetheless I wish for advanced weather and daytime conditions for RRE too)

10. Dale Junior

Dale Junior Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +983 / 0 / -0
    fog, leaf coloration and dynamic clouds would be more important ... 4 years ago since the Nordschleife has released but still none autumn feelings on and at the track ... very disappointing!

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. nolive721

Ratings:
    +72 / 0 / -0
    Well PC2, AC with SOL mod, RF2 come to my mind

sorry but I am not sure how we would defend RRE with the excuse that it is "difficult" to implement considering a single modder did it.
    I appreciate the Game features and braod range of cars type and tracks but would see a high Value added to get Rain&night into the Gameplay to increase immersion.
    I mean it was the LeMans 24hrs race this week-end,I can tell you lot of Simracers around the world replicated the Endurance race on their PCs

12. CheerfullyInsane

CheerfullyInsane Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402 / 0 / -0
    Slight difference between the engines. AC was designed as a modding platform from the start, whereas R3E was originally designed primarily as a jump-in-and-go game for exhibitions, showrooms and so on.
    So while AC can be (relatively) easily injected with various data, you need to make hard-coded changes in R3E.

Is it possible? Probably.
    But that leads to another question; who is going to pay for it?
    Either they do it as a free upgrade, in which case S3 is out a hell of a lot of man-hours.
    Or they make a paid DLC, which would piss off the people already bitching about the DLC policy, and then hope that whoever remains would be interested enough in those features to buy them.

It's all very well for a passionate modder to do a project in his spare time.
    It's something else entirely when you're accountable to shareholders.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  13. Thxave

Thxave Member

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    Well at some point they are going have to bite the bullet and update the game or have people move on to newer games that have the features. Dx9 to Dx 11 would be a good start. I wouldn't mind a DLC. I have easily got my $$$ worth out of what I paid for Raceroom. I don't expect major upgrades to be free.
    I still use Raceroom more than any other sim, but I see it slowly changing as I get use to playing ACC more lately.

• Like Like x 2
  14. nolive721

Ratings:
    +72 / 0 / -0
    please take no offence but thats just advocating inertia to the point people that have bought the game and its content will move away to other Sims, and people who want to buy Simracing game will go elsewhere instead of RRE.

as I said,I like lot of features in RRE but Rain and Day/Night transition would be ones I would be happy to pay for

Last edited: Sep 23, 2020
  15. CheerfullyInsane

CheerfullyInsane Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402 / 0 / -0
    I agree that they'll have to upgrade at some point.
    I just don't think it'll be particularly 'easy' as was implied. Nor for that matter do I think upgrading what is in computer-terms an ancient engine is the way to go. It would be far better to take the assets already in-game, and exporting them to a new engine, be it Madness, Unreal or something else.
    Take night-driving for instance. R3E in it's current form has one light-source; the sun. That's it. The headlights on the cars may light up, but they don't project light. So in order to facilitate night-driving, you'd have to enable lightsources all over the place, and then rewrite the entire engine to take multiple light-sources into account. And you have to do it on what is a single-core engine.
    And just doing daylight time-progression kills the frames on pretty much every rig, so there's something of a hurdle there.

No, that's me objecting to you calling it 'easy'. :)
    If you're willing to pay for a night/rain expansion, that's fine by me.
    Personally, I wouldn't. I rarely, if ever, use them in the sims that actually have them.
    Night-racing in particular only comes into effect with endurance racing, and the vast majority of people do 20-30 minute races, maybe 1 hour races if they're feeling frisky.
    Look at the release of PC2. Right after release every online race had night, rain or both.
    That lasted for about a month, then the novelty wore off, and nobody really bothered anymore.
    As for people moving on to other sims, that's already happening to some extent or other. I don't know a single sim-racer who has just one sim installed.
    Currently I have AMS2, PC2, rF2, R3E, and ACC installed on my PC, simply because they all offer something different, be it AI, FFB, VR, or Career-mode.
    And yes, at some point people will move away from R3E entirely, just as they moved away from rF1 when better things became available. That's just the cyclic nature of software.

16. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    So you just want the looks of rain - while not caring about the feel and the physics of driving on a wet track (not to mention dynamic wetness and drying). Because that is what PC2, AC with Sol mod are doing: they add just the cosmetics but not the believable physics of raining.

But that is what I care for. I did not mind not having rain in AC and RR - until ACC came along and showed how wet driving needs to be, and not just by the looks, but also by the driving. Since then, I am a beleieer - believer in the full deal, not just the looks of it.

No, I do not think it is so easily done. It affects a lot tyre physics, and these are maybe the most complex and difficult single issue in race sim physics.

I do not know contemporary rF2, just four very old versions from years ago, dry. Was not my cup of tea back then.

17. pierredietze

pierredietze Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +232 / 0 / -0
    Just in case RRRE one day is able to have a 24h day / night cycle, we also need the ability to pause, save and continue a race at any point, without a doubt. A 24h race on the Nordschleife with 80+ opponents in realtime, that would be absolutly outstanding to have. Maybe some day!

18. nolive721

Ratings:
    +72 / 0 / -0
    I am not quite sure where I mentioned "easy" in my posts but anyway.

You are mentioning PC2 as a reference for being just Rain cosmetics but do you actually own and play the game or is that just something you heard from somewhere?
    I do own the game, and believe it or not play it because I think its fantastic with the custom FFB I am using, and I can tell you the car physics are affected, in some area dramatically, by the track wet conditions. Have you tried to drive over a puddle in the straights at LeMans? You might change your mind if so.

As per AC with SOL, Peter Boese mentioned at some point that the next step in the pipeline will be to alter physically the track surface so it can replicate IRL cars behavior as well.

I dont think I will post much further on this thread, we just have to agree that we disagree about the directions RRE should take

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Arthur Spooner

Arthur Spooner Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432 / 0 / -0
    You questioned that it is difficult:

20. nolive721

Ratings:
    +72 / 0 / -0
    easy>possible>difficult>impossible

make your call about what I am implying hereo_O