LeMans + night + rain please!!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Munty, Sep 26, 2020.

1. Munty

Munty New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    This must have been asked before, why don’t we have LeMans, I guess it’s some kind of licensing issue? Could the track be bought from someone else?

As for night and rain, yes please, I hope you’re working on this.

I realise night time = a huge load of work on textures and blending and reflections, urgh. And rain is difficult to pull off, especially if you want dynamic moving water. Not a Forza type implementation please, that’s awful. I think Pcars did it will if I remember, but I haven’t played that for years.

While I’m at it, could I please request some classic cars? I love all the content, I don’t drive the formulas much as my reflexes aren’t what they used to be, but the lower performance cars are huge fun. 2CV Please!!

• Funny Funny x 2
  2. Munty

Munty New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Oh, and could the UI screens please have a darker background? I keep losing my mouse!

3. Rodger Davies

Rodger Davies Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    Not sure if you’re trolling but there’s another thread on this exact subject the next one to yours.

Both are very unlikely in this engine, the devs have previously stated they weren’t planning for either on the current engine.

Personally I’d love the full day/night cycle but I can live without wet weather - it seems incredibly difficult to get AI to deal with changeable conditions so if it was as buggy as AMS2/Project Cars I would rather do without.

Le Mans is known to be a super expensive licence (note it’s not in PC3) so that’s also highly unlikely. Plenty of other tracks to enjoy.

• Like Like x 1
  4. geoffers

geoffers Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    Would be interesting to know what a licence to use a track in a sim covered. Le Mans for example, would it only cover the use of the current circuit or would any historical version of the track (eg 60s, 80s etc.) be included. Could an older layout of the track be used without a licence? Similarly could now defunct tracks, for example Rouen, Reims, Crystal Palace, be used, surely no one holds the rights to any of these circuits.

5. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    It's in your hand

• Funny Funny x 5
  6. sergeich

sergeich Active Member

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    RR already have Formula US (Indycar), FR17 - Formula 1? So RR can make RaceRoomLM :)
    We dont care how it will be named - just give us Leman with any other name :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    If you don't look, is the mouse still in his hand though?

8. CheerfullyInsane

CheerfullyInsane Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402 / 0 / -0
    Schrödingers Mouse to keep the cat company? :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. GooseCreature

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    I'm guessing whether we look or not, there is no longer a Mouse?

10. Rodger Davies

Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    I can’t speak for the developers but there’s not necessarily a ‘standard’ licence.

Likewise, with copyright law it’s many shades of grey, not black and white. It’s basically a judge’s opinion as to whether you’re infringing on the intellectual property or not, although I doubt this often gets contested rather than settled. Note that a couple of games have a Monaco circuit called ‘Cote d’Azur’ because if it were called Monaco and the exact shape of the F1 circuit, even though they’re public roads, it could be interpreted as rights infringement.

Defunct street tracks is interesting; PCARS had Rouen obviously, and I doubt they licenced it. Likely they can safely assume there is no holder of rights to a race to infringe on, so I’m sure these would be fine if the original was public roads like Reims. With a race circuit like Bridgehampton, there’d probably be a small risk that whoever bought the land could argue ownership of the IP, so that’s a bit less likely IMO.

What would be super interesting would be if a game had created a fictional circuit on real roads and then the exact layout were used by a real life series. I’d be super curious to know if the game owners could argue copyright infringement. I also wonder if city councils technically own the IP of their street layouts...

Sorry, I rambled a bit there.

• Like Like x 1
  11. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    I wonder how AMS gets around it since Kansai is clearly Suzuka, for example

12. Rodger Davies

Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    They’re taking their chances - note that in PCARS they originally had an unlicensed Suzuka but ended up making changes to the layout and some of the scenery to make it slightly fake. I suspect if Suzuka’s legal guys took an issue they’d have to do something similar to the one in AMS.

13. CheerfullyInsane

Ratings:
    +402 / 0 / -0
    Probably out looking for quantum cheese.

14. GooseCreature

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    Quark, Strangeness and Cheese! o_O

15. CheerfullyInsane

Ratings:
    +402 / 0 / -0
    Let it never be said that sim-racers can't be diverse. :D

16. Munty

Munty New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Still can’t find my mouse. And would love a LeWomans.

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. Turtle Power

Turtle Power Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    Developers please can we have Lamborghini, Ferrari, Aston Martin, Day, Night, Rain, Snow, Rally tracks, Truck racing and Redbull Air Race. Oh, before I forget, will you be able to make a Delorean car from "Back to the future" and Rainbow Road from Mario Kart.
    And one more last thing, please if you could make me a cup of coffee with two sugars and vanilla ice cream with a little bit of chocolate and caramel toppings. I hope I'm not asking too much and looking forward to seeing all above in the next update on dx11.
    Thank you so much I know you can do this because its easy.

• Funny Funny x 4
  18. CheerfullyInsane

Ratings:
    +402 / 0 / -0
    Now you're just asking for the impossible.
    Everybody knows that vanilla ice cream is only available in DX12.
    Silly turtle. :p

• Funny Funny x 2
  19. Redsco

Redsco New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    You are right ask for nothing like that you got nothing.