Massive Mid Corner Understeer with All Cars

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by #TC f1mate, Oct 9, 2020.

1. #TC f1mate

#TC f1mate Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I don't really know what has been changed with the steering in the past month or 2 but now every car has become massively understeery while turning mid corner and also corner exit.

My steering settings are the same as it was the past couple of years and I also reset the wheel profile in the game. And it doesn't become better with any setup changes. So I'm really clueless about what is going on.

Wheel: G920

2. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +170 / 0 / -0
    Can't say I've noticed any particular issues myself, certainly not that have occurred over the last couple of months. Sounds like perhaps you're just coming into the corners too fast or trying to accelerate out too early. Some cars are understeery by natures, but certainly not all of them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. majuh

majuh Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +257 / 0 / -0
    You should make sure your steering settings still work correctly in the advanced settings screen.

4. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +102 / 0 / -0
    What cars are you driving the most, if i may ask?

5. #TC f1mate

#TC f1mate Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I mostly drive GT and TCR cars, but I tried the FX-17 and it also had this issue. What can I change in the Advanced Settings screen that would solve this? Is speed sensitive steering any good?

6. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +170 / 0 / -0
    That's an option for controllers, you definitely shouldn't be using it if you're on a wheel. (I'm not sure it even does anything when a wheel is connected.)

It's still sounding like driving technique to me, and tweaking a magic setting in the car's setup generally won't do much for that. Take the TCRs for example. They're FWD, which means the front wheels are doing the vast majority of the work. So if you're still braking hard while trying to turn in, or are trying to accelerate while still in the middle of a corner, you're going to push the tyres beyond their limit and understeer.

Remember: Slow in, fast out.

It's also worth noting that without pre-heated tyres you really need to put in a couple of laps before you reach optimum grip levels. So make sure you're doing a good run rather than jumping in and out of the pits trying different setups.

7. majuh

majuh Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +257 / 0 / -0
    You should primarily check that your steering is linear watching the horizontal bar when turning your wheel.

8. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +102 / 0 / -0
    Check your wheel linearity, controls settings and if a speed sensitive steering is activated/assists are still on for some reason.
    For the X17 there is a quite high diff lock on coast and power in the defaults (at least it was the case on Nürburgring GP, i was suspecting, you have this issue with the X17, because i also had it :D)

You can reduce the Diff Percentages for "Coast" and maybe also reduce pre-load and the car will turn already way better into corners and prepare for a rotation on apex. Don't be afraid to reduce it *really* far. Reducing it on "power", though, will probably make it more drivable on throttle (if you finally can use some rotation at the apex), but will be costy for traction and can understeer more on corner exit.

Also making steering angle/ratio on the top right in the setup UI more sensitive can be helpful. For all cars.^^

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2020
  9. Alex Hodgkinson

Alex Hodgkinson KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +1,948 / 0 / -0
    I would definitely suggest that you check the above first and foremost. Enable input overlays by binding a key for it first, then ensure your steering input matches what the overlay is doing.

10. #TC f1mate

#TC f1mate Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Now I changed some settings in the Advanced menu and the FFB menu and it looks like the problem has been solved. Thanks everyone!

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1