WTCC Cars Tire flat spot??

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ron Watmore, Sep 24, 2020.

1. Arthur Spooner

Arthur Spooner Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432 / 0 / -0
    Yes, but I doubt we can do very much about it. S3 devs are aware of the issue and need to debug their FFB code to see if there is something that can possibly cause these extreme forces in connection with certain TM wheels. But maybe you might only find out what's going wrong in cooperation with TM. Their drivers are not open source, so to debug what happens on this end, you need their devs. And depending on how willing they are to cooperate this can take quite some time to elaborate I guess.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Maarten

Maarten Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    They should at least be able to find out what ffb command (or sequence) is causing the problem.

3. CheerfullyInsane

CheerfullyInsane Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402 / 0 / -0
    Just to add to the confusion.....
    Am I the only one who exclusively have the problem in multi-player?

I'm mainly a SP guy, so at first I thought I simply didn't have the bug, since I never encountered it in SP. Ever, not even with Gr5s and FRJs.
    (T500RS user btw.)
    But whenever I go into MP, it never fails to strike. TCRs, GT2s, you name it, they go off-track. :D

Granted, it's anecdotal evidence to be sure. But still....

4. BeefMcQueen

BeefMcQueen Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +183 / 0 / -0
    Just to rule this out: did you possibly not set the damage model to "full" in single player mode? Would be the only explanation for the fact that it actually never occurs there and is guaranteed in MP.

Oli

5. CheerfullyInsane

CheerfullyInsane Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402 / 0 / -0
    Good shout, but no.
    When practicing for an online race, I always set up it the same as the server.

Though as I said, it's anecdotal so it might just be a case of me mis-remembering. It is comparatively rare that I run cars without ABS.
    But for the life of me, I can't think of a single instance it has happened in SP. I'll have a serious go at it this week-end, and see if I can deliberately trigger it.

6. Maarten

Maarten Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    try it as I did in the video I posted above, almost guaranteed success.

7. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    As has been said before the only solution to this is to set flatspot magnitude to 0. Yes that means you won't get them at all, which is unfortunate. We have tried at length to find the root cause of this with no success. The issue is coming from differences in TM wheels, firmware, drivers and as such can appear on a wheel which was previously fine. Vanilla t300 wheels don't seem to have it where as variants (tx etc) do, there should be no difference but there is.

Flatspots are being removed, or have been, depending what the current state of the live game is from certain TM wheels by changing the default profiles. This will not change any current custom profiles you may be running and so you would have to edit those manually.

8. Maarten

Maarten Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    Strange, you would think you can record the ffb being fed to the wheel and see what combination the wheel cant handle. Especially when the problem is reproduceable. Seems to me the solution to just remove flatspots on a pretty popular high end wheel is a crude solution.

9. Arthur Spooner

Arthur Spooner Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432 / 0 / -0
    Not really. S3 devs can record what RaceRoom WANTS to send to the wheel (S3 devs have surely already done this and have most probably not found anything unusual), but what actually gets sent to the ffb motor is inside the driver and/or firmware. And it's practically impossible to see why an otherwise normal ffb-signal in these cases goes totally bonkers without the help of the manufacturer. We don't have any insight in how helpful TM is in this case. Maybe they're at a loss too, but it might also well be they don't care as the userbase is comparably small in the case of RaceRoom. But I'm just guessing here.

10. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    As above, there's no particular reason why the flatspot effect should cause problems, and indeed it doesn't on some TM wheels. All the game says is send this frequency and wave type at this strength and the wheel should do it, it's no different to any of the other vibration effects such as kerbs. Seems like that is getting misinterpreted somewhere in the driver and wheel firmware. If it was an easy fix it would be done by now.

11. Maarten

Maarten Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    If you record the ffb and play it back it should theoretically reproduce the problem.
    Exactly, that's my concern, it's no different to curbs and stuff, so what's next. If the problem is not tackled it might bite you in the ass later on.