Automobilista 2

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by RoccoTTS, May 25, 2019.

1. Balrog

Balrog Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +466 / 0 / -0
    The original Automobilista was one of my favorite sims, if not the favorite, I only abandoned it, because I bought a VR headset. The driving felt completely natural to me, it was probably the best you can get out of rFactor 1.

I'm an early backer of AMS2, but I'm not entirely satisfied with it. I don't get the same natural driving feeling from it, most of the tracks and cars feel indeed excessively bumpy/jumpy. But it has come a long way since the early beta. My initial feeling definitely had a strong PCARS aftertaste, but I don't feel that anymore. The feedback you get from the car is much more consistent now, but it's just not there with the first installment.

And then, there are those numerous small unfinished/unpolished/untouched things, I don't think AMS2 is ready for serious online competition in its current state, but Reiza doesn't deny that either. We tried to build a local community around it for fun races, but we failed unfortunately.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Andy Kettler

Andy Kettler Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,109 / 0 / -0
    Great car, great track...

Automobilista 2 | Ginetta G55 GT4 | Circuito de Jerez

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Bull Shark

Bull Shark Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    I love that track....

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Andy Kettler

Ratings:
    +1,109 / 0 / -0
    Automobilista 2 August 2020 Development Update

"Giving Credit Where Credit is Due

This seems like an appropriate time to give a shout-out to Slightly Mad Studios and their considerable contribution in the making of Automobilista 2 – not just for developing a great sim racing engine and licensing it out to a small studio such as our own, giving out well over one year of continuous support to help us get the best of it, but doing all of that without taking a single penny in advance, or even for a few months into its release to ensure we were able to continue developing it to the best of our ability – all this made clear to us that more than anything they wanted us to get as much out of it as we could, and they certainly went out of their way to supply us with the means to do it.

This is most unusual in the gaming industry and for all that we owe them an immense amount of gratitude, as we did to ISI before them – anyone who already enjoys AMS2 or comes to enjoy it in the future as we continue developing it should be able to appreciate their contribution to making it a reality.

Wherever you land in the spectrum of racing game preferences, we should also all try to be happy with the range of great options currently in the market catering for the diversity of tastes that does exist, and recognize the role SMS played from GTR onwards in helping making sim racing what it is today – we are all better off for it."

• Like Like x 1
  5. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    GTR as in simbin GTR?

6. Rodger Davies

Rodger Davies Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    Yes, a lot of what became SMS were part of the original Simbin team

7. Andy Kettler

Ratings:
    +1,109 / 0 / -0
    Some translated Text found in the Interwebzz ^^

"The origin of what the Slightly Mad Studios became started in the early 2000s with a modding team for the game F1 Challenge '99 -'02, which they reprogrammed for the 2002 FIA GT Championship or Formula 1 seasons To be able to use 2002; the Formula 1 modifications were given the abbreviation "RH" before the year, which stands for the vehicle modeler Ralph Hummerich, who is still employed today.

From this team the SimBin Studios were founded, which are responsible for GTR, GTR² and GT Legends. Meanwhile, SimBin co-founder Ian Bell founded the developer company Blimey Games (spelling: Blimey! Games), which continued to work for the publisher 10tacle Studios.

Slightly Mad Studios
    After 10tacle went bankrupt, Blimey Games was renamed Slightly Mad Studios, which is still run by Ian Bell today. [3] They developed the need-for-speed titles Shift and Shift 2: Unleashed for Electronic Arts, each of which sold several million units. This success was reflected in the inclusion in the "Develop 100" list of 2010, in which Slightly Mad Studios, based on sales, was the seventeenth most successful game developer in the world. [4] Furthermore, after a cooperation with Ferrari was decided at 10tacle times, the title "Test Drive Ferrari Racing Legends" was completed and brought to market in 2012 under the publisher Atari SA...."

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +102 / 0 / -0
    Slightly Mad Studios and Sector 3 are both offsprings of the GTR2-SimBin in one or another way. ;)

9. Gopher04

Gopher04 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +237 / 0 / -0
    And we have the better half here..;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +102 / 0 / -0
    I'm not that much into tribalism, sorry.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. rd.king

rd.king Active Member

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    They got the bigger half, Well based on Hat size. Pa Dum Tssss :)

12. heppsan

heppsan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0

• Like Like x 1
  13. Andy Kettler

Ratings:
    +1,109 / 0 / -0
  14. Balrog

Balrog Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +466 / 0 / -0
    FFB and road feel has become much much better in this version. I think it's advisable to clear the folder in Documents and start with a fresh one, just in case. One thing worth mentioning is that the FFB defaults remained on the original values, but those are not recommended anymore. For example, on a T300 I'd start with something like:
    Gain: 75
    LFB: 0
    FX: 50
    Damping: 0
    and some finetuning after that. Logitech wheels probably will need some LFB in the end though (around 5-20).

15. Badgerous

Badgerous Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +223 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, this felt like a solid advancement all around. I didn't test many beyond the new GT additions, but the SuperV8s felt very encouraging.

16. fireballr18

fireballr18 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +75 / 0 / -0
    Tried it too. Still think it's too easy to control the cars. This covers the newcomers as well. The last 10%-20% in handling fidelity missing to close the gap to the establishment. But reiza will close the gap step by step.
    What steam tells: Release some GT3 and become successful :). Excited how well Nords will be designed.

17. Bull Shark

Bull Shark Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    The AI with the new GT3&4 cars is not the best atm. They ram you to much. Other than that I really like how it evolves :D

18. Balrog

Balrog Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +466 / 0 / -0
    If everything goes well, there will be a hotfix tonight which fixes the bouncing Porsche suspensions.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Andy Kettler

Ratings:
    +1,109 / 0 / -0
    Madness Engine Comparison

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. Andy Kettler

Ratings:
    +1,109 / 0 / -0