Why did all my saved car setups vanish overnight?!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Audii-Dudii, Nov 6, 2020.

1. Audii-Dudii

Audii-Dudii New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Once again, it appears all my setups have disappeared after the last update. Everything was fine when I went to bed last night, but five hours later, I wake up, log-in, and they're al gone ... wtf?!

Not only that, but it appears all my control settings have been reset, too! Oddly, button-mapping seem to have been preserved ... again, WTF?!

I understand there may be legitimate reasons for this, but the longer I play this sim, the more time it takes me to recover every time this happens because I have more setups to recreate, which is highly annoying.

(Unfortunately, making backups of my setup is tricky, because my installation seems to put my files in unusual places ... not sure why this happens, but I do know that my folders and files are not where everyone else's are, which complicates matters.)

Is this unique to me and my setup for some reason(s) or is this happening to others as well? Grr....

2. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +170 / 0 / -0
    Unique to you. I've had R3E since 2013 and have never once had this happen to me. The files have also never been in "unusual places" despite my using at least three different operating systems over that period.

Both car setups and controller profiles are saved under Documents\My Games\SimBin\RaceRoom Racing Experience\UserData, so if they're disappearing in-game then it's because the game can't find them... ie, they're not where they should be.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Chequers

Chequers New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Happened to me when I loaded the sim tonight (saturday night)
    Boots up with unknown controller found.
    Luckily I have my Controlsets backed up in a directory well away from any Raceroom directories and just copied them back.

4. Lixma

Lixma Honorary QA

Ratings:
    +174 / 0 / -0
    I've become fairly OCD about backing up my UserData folder, but it would be a great feature if R3E could do it automatically.

5. Vantskruv

Vantskruv Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    Check in "Documents/my games/Simbin" (if I remember the folder structure correctly), that you do not have any duplicated user profile folders.
    It may happen that Raceroom made a new user profile for you, i.e. if you have moved the installation directory of the game ( happened to me when I moved it via Steam).
    There is a file somewhere in the user-profile folder which points to installation directory, so when changing that to the new installation directory, R3E loaded up my old profile.

6. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +170 / 0 / -0
    If the game is doing it then there's always the chance of failure or corruption. That's the whole point of manual backups.