Is Raceroom becoming the new iRansom??

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GooseCreature, Nov 11, 2020.

1. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    Right, been here years, driven thousands of RR miles, yet my driving only get less consistent. o_O
    Due to health issues I don't drive as much as I'd like but I manage a minimum of an hour, every day and generally in RR, although I own just about all of the Sim's and dabble with most.
    My issue is really with the GT3's mainly, hopped in a ranked race in said vehicles at Silverstone, chose the 2019 Porsche for some reason and qualified 6th, I think. Race starts and as we roll along, one by one, on or around the apex of the next few turns, my opponents slide out of my way, a nice uniform slide, all of them, before getting halfway around the first lap, I was first, which to me is unbelievable as I'd not adjusted the setup or even practiced. Well after a couple laps a Beemer overtook me, as the Porsche was handling like a pregnant Whale, so much understeer I almost had to grind to a halt to get around the hairpins, yet I was comfortably in 2nd, right up to the last lap when the Porsche decided it was going to perform this weird slide, un-saveable, no matter what I did with the wheel, accelerator or brake, an almost perfect slide into oblivion. When I looked the rears were red, I'm guessing from the "slide" the single most unbelievable thing I've ever found in RR. It wasn't cold or hot tyres, it was the iRansom slide. :eek:
    Believe me, I start every morning with the latest iRansom vids by I can't remember who but boy does it make me laugh, watching everyone precision sliding as if on ice, right up to the point I get in a GT3 in RR, then not so funny. I gave up iRansom years ago because of their daft tyre model, please Sector 3, don't go down the iRansom route, it's shit, I watch hours of poor souls crying into their iRansom rigs over their crappy tyre model, don't take RR in the same direction. I'm guessing it's the tyre model, my tyres spend the majority of their time red hot, (only in GT3's) whether I wheelspin or not and once hot the car is useless, taking ages to return to a decent operating temp. If you are trying to simulate iRansom then congrats, you've managed it.
    The DTM 2020's are fantastic, as are the WTCR's, yet the GT3's I find an abomination. I took the same car out in the Most, fixed setup competition and it drove flawlessly but the minute I went back to practice, same car, same track the bloody thing just breaks away randomly, not enjoying it at all, feels like the tyres get too hot, too quickly and not allowing the chance to save this horrible iRansom slide.

• Dislike Dislike x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
  2. Balrog

Balrog Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +466 / 0 / -0
    Instead of these random long ramblings about personal preferences, it would be great to see a video from an exact issue or something.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
  3. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    The current gt3 tyre model has its problems as it was released somewhat by accident, but that's not an issue I've ever seen and I've done many an endurance race in the GT3 cars.

4. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +102 / 0 / -0
    So there is hope for december? :innocent:

Btw., things get easier with the Porsche GT3-R if you downshift very late and less. It's extremely sensitive to downshifts, more than usual, for some reasons.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. PanVlk

PanVlk Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    Take the M6 instead of the Porsche - problem solved.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. CrimsonEminence

Ratings:
    +102 / 0 / -0
    In terms of default setup, i even agree. The M6 feels pretty great IMO, out of the box in R3E, even with the slight edgyness on the limit. :)

7. Skidmark

Skidmark Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +232 / 0 / -0
    Might it have something to do with the Porsche having its engine In the rear?

8. CrimsonEminence

Ratings:
    +102 / 0 / -0
    Very possible, yes.^^ The tyres also are really sensitive to slip in the moment...so a bit of shiftlock (manual blip still rectifies the situation a bit), the weight transfer of the rear engine, a slightly wonky setup and boom. :)

9. Skidmark

Ratings:
    +232 / 0 / -0
    Yup

10. CrimsonEminence

Ratings:
    +102 / 0 / -0
    Hmmm?
    --------------
    The main reason, why the OP has made the experience of (edit: it seems it was once yet?) flying off-track is the tyre on the limit (and varying control and probably also operation window of it), not the engine configuration. Of course, it's normal that a Porsche GT3-R wants to overtake you with the rear.

So @GooseCreature Try making it softer at the rear, give it some wing, lower rear ride height maybe, shift later and be very gentle on exits for now. (may all cause a bit more understeer first, but as soon as your tyres are working fine, you can push it more confident, probably)

Last edited: Nov 12, 2020
  11. Skidmark

Ratings:
    +232 / 0 / -0
    Sorry -was just agreeing with you regarding your description of how the engine location might contribute. Was not reflecting on the OP or the tyre issue which I admit I don’t know much about.

• Like Like x 1
  12. CrimsonEminence

Ratings:
    +102 / 0 / -0
    Haha, no i'm sorry, thought, this was an "ironical yup", writing in the internetz and interpretations and so on... :D

Basically since one or two updates (i think), some of the cars, that are running on newer tyres have a pretty tight limit and very sensitive reaction to temperatures (which in some cases might actually even be realistic, when thinking about the group 5 cars, that need 3-4 laps to be really in the window, tyre technology was very likely baaad back then). They can lose almost all traction at once, leading to an "instabin" without any chance or margin to recover, when going over it. The GT3 is a bit much tip-toeing because of that right now and also other classes, but this behaviour is already known.

I always sit in front of my monitor and complain about it here, when driving the GT3, ranting about it and starting another stint after it. :D (Audi R8 at Oschersleben or GT3-R old and new at Zolder can be pretty nervous and annoying, but something always pulls me back to it :D)

13. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    Well guy's lots of constructive comments, firstly at my age ramblings are all I have! ;)
    Right, I know the Porsche is tricky, lift off oversteer etc but I have the same problem with the Audi and the Corvette, so that's mid and front engined motors as well. It's also not just a flippant comment because I'm having a bad day.
    As mentioned I watch more than drive these days and what I see is the Aliens sliding into oblivion, not just moi.
    I actually believe this could be a thing that just happens once your tyre model matures to a certain state, as other titles that use similar models have suffered in the past, as iRansom is at the moment. Appears to only be GT3's for me though, which in itself is a bit weird but it's not a figment of my imagination either, as it's remarkably easy to replicate, it's very much like the cold tyre slide but my tyres are at perfect temps. How I discovered this was by actually having a couple weeks away from RR with fps and FFB issues, which I still have but can overcome by DDUing my graphics drivers every time there's an update and USBDviewing my wheel, every time rogue USB devices appear, for FFB. Having spent a few weeks on other titles, coming back to RR was uninspiring to say the least, I get round this by not driving GT3's in RR but that's not really the best solution but if indeed we have to wait til December for a cure then so be it. Driving on the edge was once fun but now I find it a lottery and in some of the easiest racing cars known to man/woman/undecided.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. CrimsonEminence

Ratings:
    +102 / 0 / -0
    Like mentioned, the issue with the edgy tyre limit should be already known and will also likely receive improvements. Of course it's not just affecting the Porsche, it's basically a thing, that affects all cars with the newer tyre model, some more, some less.

15. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +170 / 0 / -0
    Got to love people who have issues with driving cars blaming the car and never themselves or their own techniques. I guess we simulate real racing driver excuses as well as the racing itself.

This reminds me of the WTCC "tyre issue" certain drivers were always whinging about back in the day. They couldn't get to the end of a 20 minute sprint races on one set, despite others doing just fine. You watch their driving style and they're totally abusing the tyres and over-driving the car, in ways you never saw the real WTCC drivers doing.

The point is that few actual racing cars can be driven on the edge for the entire duration of a race without some negative side-affects. Looking after your car and tyre management are both important skills of any racing driver, yet so many sim-racers totally ignore both and then blame the sim rather than themselves.

Even if there is a minor issue with the GTR 3 tyres or whatever, the same thing is affects everyone so it's a matter of adjusting your style to suit. Some will do so, others will not, hence their problem. That said, in the many races I've run with the GTR 3's I can't ever once remember anyone complaining about them "sliding into oblivion", alien or not.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. azaris

azaris Active Member

Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0
    The lumbering autobin slides and the loss of grip from overheating are features of the current tyre model. Every simulator has its quirks, these are R3E's. Not much point in complaining about it seeing as there doesn't appear to be any concerted effort to change the underlying tyre model at this point. Better just to adjust and move on.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. CrimsonEminence

Ratings:
    +102 / 0 / -0
    I agree for the most part, but i wouldn't call it minor, it's not iRacing instabin level, but it's even quite apparent in perfect conditions, like leaderboard challenges, especially with fixed setup, there is indeed often just one choice, because it unrecoverably spins the least: The M6.

The way of adapting right now is basically choosing the right car or/and making a pretty conservative setup, when possible. :D

I drove the Bathurst fixed setup leaderboard challenge and the Porsche was borderline awful with defaults and spun on me several times without recovery, not even reaching times, near the ones, i hit with the M6, that was still edgy, but at least survivable and pacey. :D
    (normally i suck with front engined cars, so it's not personal preference)

18. CrimsonEminence

Ratings:
    +102 / 0 / -0
    https://forum.sector3studios.com/index.php?threads/car-physics-is-stupid.14643/page-3#post-208398

Then, well...maybe i might convince you otherwise? :) (Edit: you even read it, i saw right now, according to the ratings)
    So let's wait for the next major update, i think. Also i don't think the tyre model itself is broken, it's likely some fine tuning...

19. azaris

azaris Active Member

Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0
    That was a rumour from a beta tester three months ago... I'll believe it when I see an official roadmap.

20. CrimsonEminence

Ratings:
    +102 / 0 / -0
    That's why i said, let's wait for the next major update.^^

I think there is always room for improvements in general.

The shift to the newer tyre model has transformed many cars in R3E to a very high level of depth and requirement of "care" for shift of balance and "life" over a full stint, which makes the cars feel like breathing machines, instead of just game-ish...it just comes to live a bit too much from time to time. :D