DashPanel - Simracing dashboards for Android/iOS/PC/VR.

Discussion in 'Community Workshop' started by Berno, Jan 27, 2016.

1. Berno

Berno Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0
    Hey
    DashPanel provides the demo mode so you can try it out for free and make sure it works on your network and hardware.
    If you want full data purchase it from the in app store.

From the first post and store:
    "Try the time unlimited demo version that reads RPM, Speed and Gear.
    Full data unlocks can be purchased for each game via the in app store."

2. Pullblox

Pullblox Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    Hello everyone. After the purchase VoCore Screen came across this app. Lots of features and easy to use.

• Like Like x 1
  3. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Does it work on vocore? I thought it was only simhub that works as they have a custom driver....

4. Pullblox

Pullblox Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    On the contrary, I had problems with SimHub. I tried Dashpanel and it all worked. For me Dashpanel more convenient to use than SimHub from VoCore Screen.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2021
  5. Berno

Berno Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm just a one man dev and am really terrible at advertising, the technical stuff is what I'm good at but not marketing hehe ;)

Please if you have any photos or more videos to share how you use it with your rig I'd love to see it!!
    Always cool to see how people use it in their rig :cool:

6. Berno

Berno Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0
    VoCore doesn't have a driver on Windows but can be accessed by libusb an open source library for generic USB access. It is the driver for libusb that you install. Actually this reminds me I need to make a guide on installing the drivers!!

7. Bull Shark

Bull Shark Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    Yeah Dashpanel is really great and the support as well. In the beginning I had some problem with licensing on my Android tablet. Berno sorted this all out for me. Would be nice if I could create dashes on my pc instead of on my tablet.
    And what I don’t like is that I bought the complete package for android but I can not use it on my iPad. I recently bought an IPad Pro and want to use my old I pad as a 2nd screen but this will not work with DashPanel and therefore I have to use SimHub or I have to buy everything again.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. pierredietze

pierredietze Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +232 / 0 / -0
    Bull, you can dl the Steam version of Dashpanel and create dashs on pc. Did all RRRE dashs this way, except the new Astra (wip) and the newly released ADAC 2020 cars. They will come asap.

• Informative Informative x 2
  9. pierredietze

Ratings:
    +232 / 0 / -0
    Just finished the Astra dash for dashpanel...

• Love it! Love it! x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Did you copy the real car dash or the in game one?

11. Bull Shark

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    I do have it in my steam but never tried to launch it.:eek: Will try ASAP.
    One problem down, one to go. I really like to be able to use it on my IPad as well but don’t want to buy again all the licenses to be able to use it on my IPad. :( 5x €6 for Android is enough for me.

12. Bull Shark

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    Is it one of those?
    015ABBE0-7FDD-467E-827F-360987940798.png

13. pierredietze

Ratings:
    +232 / 0 / -0
    I just use the ingame dash as a source for my own creation. Mainly because the ingame dash is hide behind my wheelbase and i use a Sony Xperia directly mounted on my wheelbase as a display for the dashpanel app. Would love to create some real life dashs, but its hard to find the needed infos for that.

The left one. All of my dashs are labelled with R3E, if you set the filter to R3E you will find the others too. ADAC 2020 Audi and Bentley are also done, so 196 dashs by now.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Berno

Berno Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0
    You seem to keep expressing that you feel it’s not fair to have to buy DashPanel on iOS when you have bought it on Android so let me clear some things up for you.

First off you don't have to buy 'again'. You bought on Android, if you want iOS you are buying that for the first time not again. This is totally standard with all software, I have bought other software on Android and if I want it on iOS I have to buy that version. I have bought apps on the Amazon Android app store and I did not then own them in Google Play even on the same device!! If you buy F1 2020 on Steam you don’t own it on Xbox or PlayStation. I bought Start Wars on VHS and was never sent free DVD or Blu-ray copies. This is all common sense standard stuff. GTA 5 was sold separate on PS3 and PS4, these big million dollar companies can do this but a small indie dev like me should somehow be selling multi-platform floating licenses? Not really fair.

Second is the technical issues. On iOS there is no 'DoesUserOwnThisOnAndroid()' function. Not only can I not check what you own on Android from iOS it is totally against the rules of the App Store to circumvent the built in purchasing. This is why Fortnite was pulled off the store and the lawsuit started between Epic and Apple. To be fair Apple have staff checking each build I submit and run the store front, handle purchasing, downloading everything involved in allowing people to download and purchase apps 24/7. They aren't going to do this then let you put up a free app that you purchase keys for that bypasses their sales cut. Fair enough I think too. Their staff need to get paid as well nobody lives for free.

You might also be naive about how much effort the extra platforms take. I first built on Android with no real clear idea but just the hope of potentially building for other platforms. I then decided to try Steam and when accepted it took 6-7 months of work to get the PC version working well. Then for iOS the same at least 7-8 months for me to get that all working. People might think because a tool like Unity is multi-platform you just press a button and like magic it spits out a perfectly working version for any platform. This is the dream but for now reality is a lot more work than people think.

Now when I build it takes all day to compile and upload all 3 versions. Then I have to test all 3 platforms as no matter what open beta I make I have never gotten any feedback about bugs at all. So I should do all this extra work for each platform that continues with each build going forwards for free? I don’t see how that is sustainable. I’m not making that much as it is. Do you work for free? When you go to work on Tuesday does the boss say I’m not paying you today because I already paid for Monday?

All you can do is compare my app to other iOS apps on the store. Its price is fair. Just because I’ve done extra hard work to make it multi-platform doesn’t mean I can’t ask the same price as other apps on the store. It’s great that you have lots of choice these days in Sim Racing. If SimHub works for what you want that’s fantastic. You can’t compare though what I have to do to build a binary file for iOS and submit to the store compared to streaming to a web browser. That’s completely two different scenarios (I have to pay for a developer program and comply with all the store rules etc...). If on the other hand you really want to use DashPanel on iOS you’re going to have to buy it just like if you wanted to use any other app on the store.

Sorry if this got a little long but my frustration has built up. There is lots of negativity in the Android and Steam reviews about this and I’m really over it to be honest. Just because you don’t understand or appreciate how much work something is doesn’t mean you get to demand it be cheaper or free. I’ve got bills to pay as well I can’t spend 7 years building an app and just give it away for nothing. At the end of the day you don't think its worth it so don't buy it, the constant complaining isn't going to change the facts of reality.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2021
  15. Bull Shark

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0

Sorry to read this Berno. It is by far my goal to say negative things about your product. I use it every day and I”m happy with it and I do not complain, I even give you credits on how you helped solving the problems with licensing.
    I know it is the way software works. But that does not mean that I have to be happy about it.
    I don’t blame you about how things work. The price is fine by me, but that is not what I said, I said, I don’t want to buy it again? I have it for the Android and don’t want to spend “again” that amount. so again, sorry if I did say anything wrong. but to be honest I do not see any attacking in my posts.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Berno

Berno Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0
    As I said it wasn't just you it comes up a bit and I needed to vent and explain there are reasons for this.
    You have put up about 3 posts in this thread that you weren't happy with having to buy again on iOS and I was feeling like you were trying to change my mind about something?

I just wanted to explain that even if I wanted to do something this its all more complicated than just making it so anyone who bought on Android can own on iOS. In fact its technically impossible and would result in my app being banned from the Apple App Store.

I would actually love it if people who owned any product received discounts for any extra products on any platform but this isn't provided for by any of the stores and not something I can build myself.

17. Bull Shark

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    Berno,
    No worries. Perhaps it is that my non native English does not read very well.
    As said, I’m happy that guy’s like you do what they do. You make sim racing a better experience by making such awesome apps.
    And of course you want to get paid for all your work. I don’t work for free as well. It is “my” problem that I don’t want to spend “more” money on a iOS license. Not yours.

so from my point of view, I didn’t want to sound negative about you or your app. If I made it look like that way than again, sorry for that. It was not meant to.

enjoy the good weather and stay healthy Berno. To make you feel better, I’ll buy the AMS2/PC2 license for the iOS. To show you that I’m really not a nasty guy.
    Drink a beer on my account, bottoms up. :D

Edit: Just bought the PC2/AMS2 license on the iOS ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. Berno

Berno Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0
    All good.
    I hope I didn't sound nasty either. Just frustrated. Not even with you directly.
    I never thought you were nasty maybe just trying to nag me into changing something I can't.
    Guess I misunderstood and feel silly now. I'm still hopeful I explained a bit the actual situation.

It was more the timing of a few people not being so nice getting angry with me that they bought on Steam expecting to own everything on mobile. I've put up a big bold warning saying this isn't the case but I still get abused for their mistake. :confused:

You didn't have to buy anything obviously but I appreciate all support and hope you enjoy it.
    :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  19. Bull Shark

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    I understand. :D I know I do not have to but still bought it. Lol.
    Now I noticed the buttonbox as well. How must I see that license? I can make button boxes with the license I have, what is the advantage of the buttonbox license?

edit: is it possible to make the pc editor screen larger? At the moment it is rather small on my 1440p screen.

20. Berno

Berno Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0
    Hey Bull,

With any full data you can use button box for the supported games. So if you have Assetto full data button box will work with AC and ACC.

If you want to use a button box for anything at all then you can buy the Virtual Button Box license. It could be useful for some flight sims or you could build a full keyboard and write a novel in notepad from your iPad if you like pain? ;)
    This will be more useful when I add a feature for macros, so you can record a sequence of key presses and play them back with one press. That would be handy in sims like DCS and other complex games. I haven't figured that out yet. By then it should be as powerful as the Roccat Power Grid app that used to be around. Maybe people will find it useful?

On DashPanel PC just go to the settings button on main screen.
    Then go to screen tab and set resolution in there.
    I usually set it to half the resolution of the device I'm making the dash for. This way it fits on my desktop and has the same aspect ratio as the device.

Then just share the dashboard and you can subscribe to it on your device.
    Edit on PC and upload to all your devices is how pierredietze created hundreds of dashboards.

• Like Like x 1