VR Suggestion

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by S. FREDRIKSSON, Nov 8, 2020.

1. S. FREDRIKSSON

S. FREDRIKSSON Active Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Hi,
    I plan to buy some VR glasses but unfortunately I have absolutely no knowledge when it comes them.
    I have basically three "demands":
    • Work well in RaceRoom (other sims would be welcome, but I use mostly this).
    • No "toys". I'm not made of money but as an adult with a decent income and pretty low costs I can follow "By once, Cry once" rule. I have a good cockpit with a DD wheelbase.
    • Not Occulus (if possible). I have never had a Facebook account and I don't want to get one. Not even a throw-away account.

Any inputs or experiences would be greatly appreciated.
    Regards
    Stefan

2. FeltHλt

FeltHλt Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +478 / 0 / -0
    wait for reverb g2

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +170 / 0 / -0
    Agree with FeltHat. If you have the budget and a decent rig already (which it sounds like you have), wait for the G2. It'll be better than anything currently available.

• Like Like x 1
  4. S. FREDRIKSSON

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Thank you both, that is probably what I will do.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0

I am with Oculus since 2017, but in 2023 before their FB BS becomes fact I wil replace it. And maybe the system as well, depends on whether I need it.

Welcome to the VR club. Your life is about to restart. :D

6. Rex Racer 65

Rex Racer 65 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have the Oculus Rift-S and didn't/don't need a FB account to use it. You setup an Oculus account, but that runs intendent from FB. I got mine last year on a Black Friday sale for $350. You won't beat that value. The work great, and were a significant improvement over the Rift. The real money goes into the PC to run it. Get the fastest one you can afford with best graphics card. Race Room works very well in VR. Assetto Corsa even better. As well as Automobilista 2. However, I can't get ACC to work well in VR at all.
    You're going to LOVE VR!!! It's the only way to race! Be ready for a break-in period to get acclimated to not get motion sick. Take it gradual and don't over due it. Took me about 3-days and then I was totally fine.

7. Rex Racer 65

Rex Racer 65 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    One more thing....
    I highly recommend getting a Butt-Kicker to accompany the VR experience.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. Muca

Muca Active Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    Since october you cannot create an oculus account, you have to use a facebook account. Already existing oculus users will be forced in 2 years to use a facebook account. Information collected from your headset cameras are linked to you directly. Fake facebook accounts used for oculus only are blocked. Even if you do not want to use Facebook, they force you to use your real name and birthday.
    They basically killed the oculus brand. I will never buy anything connected to oculus or its store. Looking to get HP G2 and sell my Oculus as long it has any value. We knew this day would come, now it is the time to abandon this brand.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. fbiehne

fbiehne Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +110 / 0 / -0
    I'd also wait for the Reverb G2. Another good headset is the Vive Index.

10. S. FREDRIKSSON

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    A few days ago I pre-ordered the HP Reverb G2. No really sure when I will get it.
    Thanks all!

11. Muca

Muca Active Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    Great decision, it is considered as the best headset for sim racing.

12. Badgerous

Badgerous Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +223 / 0 / -0
    The WMR really puts me off there though. It's bad enough having to use SteamVR occasionally over the native Occulus stuff - Especially here where every little drop of performance is important.

I've no experience with it at all, so all might be rosey, but all VR headsets are a compromise somewhere, and that feels like its big draw back.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2020
  13. Balrog

Balrog Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +466 / 0 / -0
    Not sure, SteamVR is the only option with the Index and my experience hasn't been that bad with it. Could it be it's just an Oculus thing? The Reverb was designed in collab with Valve so I'd expect it to work well in SteamVR.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2020
  14. Thomas Jansen

Thomas Jansen KW Studios Developer Beta tester

Ratings:
    +562 / 0 / -0
    SteamVR with oculus was a nightmare for RR, on native SteamVR headsets it's no problem