VR Performance Tweaks & Tips

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Thomas Jansen, Apr 19, 2019.

1. Thekan76

Thekan76 New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I tried to read this thread from start to finish, but I've found too many information that confuse me.

Some good boy, can suggest me a good setting up for my rig?

AMD 3600 X (no oc)
    MSI GTX 1080 X
    16 GB RAM
    Oculus Rift S

I'm a novice, start from zero about VR.

2. Balrog

Balrog Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +466 / 0 / -0
    The settings mentioned in the OP are a good start, I'm using those as well. But if your config can't maintain 90 FPS with them, try lowering track details and shader quality to low, they are not really noticable in VR, but help with performance.

• Like Like x 2
  3. pflynhi

pflynhi New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I have a 2600X, RTX 2070 Super, 32gb Ram and a Rift S
    I use the settings in the OP but turn shadows and car shadows off and it stays at 80 fps. The contact shadows keep the cars from looking like they are floating on the track so that's good enuff for me. And believe me I'd love to have the immersion from the trees, objects and car shadows but even at the lowest setting or switching one off and running the other (shadows/car shadows) always results in fps dips.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Balrog

Balrog Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +466 / 0 / -0
    Lately, I'm having this issue in VR when my CPU frametimes are horribly high for apparently no reason. My system can maintain 90 FPS when I'm alone, but the framerate drops to around 60 with a full field and I'm getting mild stuttering even with motion smoothing on. I'm scratching my head, because yesterday I literally put every graphics setting to the lowest possible value and it didn't help, a few months ago it was running fine with higher settings.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 24, 2020
  5. Jynn

Jynn Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
  6. Balrog

Balrog Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +466 / 0 / -0
    I spent a bit of time with this:
    I tested at Imola with a 26 car WTCR field.
    @Thomas Jansen 's initial settings in the OP work great at 90Hz for me when I'm alone, but I get significant frame drops (~60 FPS) and constant microstutters with the full field.
    If I disable shadows (from 'Lowest' to 'Off'), the constant microstuttering disappears and FPS increases to 75+
    If I lower shader quality from 'Medium' to 'Low', FPS increases to 80+
    If I disable specular (I'm not really fond of it anyway), FPS increases to 85+, can almost maintain constant 90 FPS anywhere.
    Also I have visible opponents and contact shadows at 18 instead of 20, I don't know how much of a difference it makes.

But still, I think the performance impact of the shadows setting has become worse than before and I'm not sure why.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
  7. Jynn

Jynn Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    I can't get above 50fps with everything on lowest setting driving alone on a great spec pc.:eek:
    System:
    Ryzen 3600
    Vega64
    16gb 3200mhz ram.

8. Neawoulf

Neawoulf Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    Hello Jynn,

just got your message and yes: I was able to solve my performance issues (mostly):

The culprit was a setting in SteamVR: Just go to "Settings" ---> "Video" ---> "Per-Application Video Settings" ---> select "RaceRoom Racing Experience" ---> disable "Motion Smoothing" and turn on "Use Legacy Reprojection Mode". That's it. I get stable 80 fps (Rift S) on almost all tracks, even with 20+ AI cars.

There are just some newer tracks that aren't very well optimized, like Ningbo for example (maybe they fixed that, haven't played in a while). But most tracks should be smooth. Just make sure you don't use max settings ingame. Don't know the performance of the Vega64, so a bit of experimenting with settings should help you finding good settings.

*edit* You can also try using OpenComposite instead of SteamVR, there should be a thread about that somewhere. Some say the performance is even better but i didn't notice a lot of difference on my system.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
  9. Jynn

Jynn Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the tips neowulf. Tried those settings but no difference. I then tried rolling back amd drivers to December 2019 and disable SMT, also no change.
    Something that did seem to help a little was getting the screen mirror enabled. Hadn't realised there's a toggle button and that seemed to help boost the GPU so that it's now going to about 60 FPS, but the usage is still too low, only reaching around 800mhz on low settings.
    At this point I have to just give up and make raceroom a monitor only title, not the worst thing in the world. ;)

10. Balrog

Balrog Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +466 / 0 / -0
    I tried this with the Index out of curiosity, and it indeed runs a bit smoother even with shadows on, but unfortunately it completely messes up the tracking.:confused: If I move my head, the whole picture is "shaking" for some reason. I was getting seasick pretty quickly.:D But It's a bit annoying to know that we leave so much performance on the table thanks to the incompatibility of RR and SteamVR.:(

11. Balrog

Balrog Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +466 / 0 / -0
    I've just noticed something, it looks like at least in some games, if I modify the SS value in the "Per-appication settings" menu of SteamVR, the new resolution only gets applied after a complete SteamVR - Steam restart. It explains some anomalies I experienced with performance in the past.

12. Rookie Driver

Rookie Driver New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hey man this worked on my first try and I'm a rookie at computers. Its a night and day difference and I love you for this

Question though, did you set your super sampling trough the oculus tray tool?

13. Muca

Muca Active Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    Yes I do, I am not sure if it even works within the ini.

14. Rookie Driver

Rookie Driver New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It does work with the ini and for me tray tool doesn't start for Raceroom, thats why I asked. But I have super sampling so I guess its good now anyway. Thank you :)

15. icemanfrance

icemanfrance New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    HI

Why when I'm in RV cockpit view, my fps drops to 45 while in the other views (hood view, bumper view and vehicle view), I go up to 90 fps ?

16. Thomas Jansen

Thomas Jansen KW Studios Developer Beta tester

Ratings:
    +562 / 0 / -0
    The cockpit view is generally more detailed, so lower fps is expected. In reality your frametimes probably increased from 11ms to something like 12-13ms, but that is enough to dip under 90, forcing the headset to run at 45hz

17. spyshagg

spyshagg Active Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    So, your rig, is the perfect storm for bad performance in R3E in VR (and other VR games).

Vega64 is a no-go for VR. It does not deal well with DX11 games, specially with the single-threaded ones. Speaking of single-thread performance, your CPU is missing ~20% of performance to the measly i5 10000 series.

I was running the 2700x + Vega64 and had to switch everything. Even with an i9 9900K oced to 5.2ghz and a 1080ti, R3E will struggle to keep 90fps in many racing situations. But its not alone in this, ACC is worse.

18. fl0wf1r3

fl0wf1r3 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +235 / 0 / -0
    Raceroom is not dx11, did you turn down everything to the lowest setting? Turn off shadows

19. ajopp1

ajopp1 Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Has ASW 2.0 been implemented to R3E? I am not able to maintain 80fps on Rift S for now so I am forcing ASW, and I'm curious which version of ASW this is... It works decent either way

20. Muca

Muca Active Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    ASW is an Oculus feature. Some games are unplayable with 45 fps lock like Assetto. Raceroom is pretty good.
    Did you use this already? https://forum.sector3studios.com/index.php?threads/vr-performance-tweaks-tips.13068/

edit: nvm ASW 2.0 is also dev dependent.