Where does aai adapt to?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by anno900, Nov 30, 2020.

1. anno900

anno900 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    Hi everyone,

I,ve run a championship with the older GT3 (als AMG, Z4, McLaren MP4 etc) against 24 opponents. 8 mins qual ans 25 mins race. 10 rounds at 5 Tracks, so each track 2 times in the following order. Track1, track2, ..., Track5 and then track1, track2.....
    My Intension was to see the difference at each track at 1st and 2nd visit, so how the aai adapts.
    Round 1 was Road america. I qualified 17th and finished 14th. I gain mainly some spots at the start and then battling the whole Race with 1-2 ai drivers. That was, round about, the same at each track.
    Round 2 Monza. Q 14th, finished 16th but made 1 bigger mistake when I was about 10th, so a finish within the points would have been possible.
    Round 3 Aragon. Q 23rd, finished 24th, also one Bad lap quite at the beginning (lap 3 or so), where I was about in 19th Position.
    Round 4 imola. Q 22nd. Finished 18th but mainly defending the whole Race, so P17 was gar away, whilst p19 and p20 were right in my back.
    Round 5 Spa. Q 12th, finished 9th.
    My thoughts up to that point. I could not set always a very good qualifying time, so gaining some spots in Race, especially in the First 2 laps, was what I expected. My races were quite consistent except for those 2 mistakes. Races were longer than 10 laps, so aai must have adapted from what I understand.
    To make it short. Nothing adapted.
    Round 6. Qualified mid Pack. Finished 7th or 8th but mainly die to ai spinner in 1st lap where I gained under White flag many positions. Not fair from me, I know....
    Round 7, same as round 2. I just made no mistakes and finished 6th.
    Round 8. Qualified 23rd again. In Race I gained 2 spots.
    Round 9. Same as round 4.
    Round 10. Same as round 5.

Especially round 8 and 9 were surprising. I would have assumed that aai would have been much slower so that I could have qualified mid Pack.
    And in General: I never ever had a chance for a podium or even Close to that.
    The races themselves were quite fun with raceroom decent AI. But batteling for p16 or p20 is not as much fun than batteling for p3 or even for the win.

I Don't know If I'm the only one, but I would expect from an aai that it adapts in a way, that If a Player Drives consistently enough (which I think I do), that the Player could at least Battle for Points or better for p5 to P1.

My ai Adaption File should have More than enough Data.

So in the end I will Go back to fixed AI for my championships, but then I will have few rounds where I will finish way ahead or behind the AI Pack, cause I'm Not consistently good or Bad at each track and aai could have closed that Gap but it dies not, sadly.

Maybe there are too many parameters from which the aai system gets influenced.

2. Henrik Fredborg

Henrik Fredborg New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I have a similar experience with the adaptive AI. Once the AI has adapted to my pace I always end up i pos. 10-20. So in order for me to win a race I have to improve my lap times drastically. For that reason I tend to turn of adaptive AI and run the pace that I know I will be competitive in usually around 104 AI.
    Maybe this is just how the adaptive AI was programmed. It is not an easy thing to code I guess.

3. anno900

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    I went back to fixed AI, so that I can battle for podiums and winning championship titles ;-) . I also know at which AI level my times are (round about) but I hoped to get those tracks, where I'm really bad at (salzburgring e.g.) but which I like, levelled out by the adaptive AI. But it did not work as the AI does not adapt or adapt only, so that I can fight in lower mid pack.

4. morsify

morsify Active Member

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    I agree, I really hope the devs will soon spend some time balancing the adaptive AI - I go through a couple of races, easily winning, then the Adaptive calculation kicks in and after that I am struggling to ever get in the top 6 again.
    (I don't know if the difficulty then drops back down after a few losses, I never go back to that car/track combination to find out, as it was too soul destroying to be destroyed by most of the field).

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind losing, but I really think the AAI should be gradually tweaking itself until I am fighting for top 6 positions PLUS maybe it needs an adjustable cap to stop them getting too far out of reach.

So, if AAI is chosen, the player could also choose the max difficulty level? As it currently stands, it feels like they start at 70%, I win a race meeting, then they are all at 120% for the next race!

Last edited: Dec 16, 2020
  5. S. FREDRIKSSON

S. FREDRIKSSON Active Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    As far as I understand the AAI adapts to put you in the middle of the field. So, if you run 24 cars a 12'th place should be normal and that the more you run, the closer it will be to that (as long as you are consistent).
    I find it a great balance and if people think the AAI is to strong, and want to fight for top positions in a race, they can just use the set AI.

6. anno900

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    The adaption downwards somehow lacks as described in my description in my 1st post.
    If AAI adapts to mid range spot, then it would be ok but even better would be an option for selecting if the AAI should adapt in a way that you can run top 5, mid pack or back of the field (who ever would like that).
    For me personally I like to run top5 with a chance to win if I do very fine and in the end fight for championship win or at least top 3-5. This option is currently not given by AAI even if racing mid pack makes fun cause RRE simply has a decent AI to race with/against.

7. Bull Shark

Bull Shark Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    I just use fixed AI on 95 works fine for me. :D