Ranking, rating, reputation....What?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Navigator, Dec 8, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Navigator

Navigator Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Hi guys,

Well, pretty new to this game, not to sim racing and also new to online racing. Did some league in rF2 before, but that was in another life.
    Anyway; I don't get the ranking/rating/reputation system.......
    There are guys that hardly ever drove (online) and they have an "A" rating. And the other way around.

But these "incident points"......it is explained on the page they are calculated, but not really how.
    I tried it out with only one other person in the server; I got 17 points!
    We hardly touched...... So the rating (or was it ranking?) dropped by (I believe it was) 1,4 points.
    Is it also calculated with track limits? When you do a leaderboard thing, you can see where you cut just a little to much, but in these online races, you don't! And if I'm doing a curb just a bit to much, I probably do that all the time.

I don't know what happened, but yesterday I drove there with 24 and hardly got any incident points, now a lot.

As I'm having trouble with "not racing AI", I just take the rookie servers for now; braking into a corner when the car in front brakes just a few meters earlier than expected, I can't overcome hitting him even ever so slightly.
    So I have to find a way around that without loosing to much time.

Do you guys have any hats/tips/tricks for me? Also a little more explanation of how these things in the title work?
    I want to be fair and I want to race fair, but I find it hard not to come across as a total and utter D*ck.
    Also; I should work on my anger ;) Yesterday a guy blocked me in my Q lap and I did something I'm not proud off :(
    Just telling; I don't want to pretend I'm a saint.

Thanks for reading guys, hope you have some nice info for me!

2. CaptainCoffee

CaptainCoffee Esports Manager Beta tester

Ratings:
    +196 / 0 / -0
    The A-B-C-D ranks are based on Competition at this moment and have nothing to do with ranked multiplayer.

The incident points can come from a variety of things, not just contact with other cars. On your profile page under tab career, select the race you're referring to and hover over the incident points to see an explanation why you got those incident points.
    Exceeding track limits/invalid lap time counts as an incident as well.

Rating - gets lower or higher, based on the finish results from that race. If you race with people that have a higher rating, you'll gain more rating if you win that race. If you lose from them, you'll only lose a little rating.

Reputation - gets lower or higher, based on the incidents in that race. Stay on track, minimize vehicle contacts, don't disconnect before the race is over, don't idle on track and your reputation increases. The higher your reputation is, the cleaner you're supposed to drive to maintain/increase your reputation. This will go fast under 85-90, but gets very hard when you're reaching 95+ A reputation above 75/80 (at this moment) is required to gain access to additional servers with different content.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Navigator

Navigator Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Thank you for this explanation CaptainCoffee; this helps me out a lot!

On the profile page, I don't see a career tab however; I only see "ranked multiplayer" where I see the incident points and such, but when I hover over them, nothing happens?
    Am I doing something wrong, wrong page?

4. CaptainCoffee

Ratings:
    +196 / 0 / -0
    Ah yes, my bad! It's called "ranked multiplayer" indeed.

In the "Ranked Race List" (the left table), click on one of the races to see the details of that race. It will appear on the right (where there are graphs now).

When the details of that race are open on the right, you'll see every driver from that qualification and race and you can now hover over the number of incidents to find the type of incidents

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Georg Ortner

Georg Ortner KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +3,507 / 0 / -0
    Good video to understand what Ranked Multiplayer is all about

• Like Like x 2
  6. Navigator

Navigator Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Found it!
    Thank you so much, this is really helpful. I discovered I had some cut track points. The car (BMW in rookie server) is very on the understeer so you have to cut in properly, taking one or two corners a bit "heavy".
    It's a shame the game doesn't say when that is, because I may keep doing it......

I'll try to figure that out!

Also thanks for the movie Georg; going to watch that right now!!

7. Nico Kunze

Nico Kunze Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +395 / 0 / -0
    Unfortunately dont know where exactly to set this, probably somewhere in the hud settings, but i have something set to essentials only which is enough to see when you get an incident. Regarding cut incidents the lap should be invalid in those cases and then the lap time and the delta no longer show on the in car display. If you see that you wont know where exactly you cut the track but youll know you did so somewhere on the current lap

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Navigator

Navigator Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Thank you Nico, I will look for that.
    By coincidence, I found that laptime thing on the display just a moment ago :)
    Dash of the BMW looks kind of "weird" to me, but scrolling through the options, I found laptime and so I thought that could do the trick also!

BTW; those incidents are off I presume. Just now got points for incident and I only got hit from behind when braking into a corner and the other guy......well, did not ;)
    He got cut track a couple of times, hit me and still got more reputation than me.........

Last edited: Dec 9, 2020
  9. CaptainCoffee

Ratings:
    +196 / 0 / -0
    The lower the reputation is, the more incidents someone can have while still gaining reputation.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Navigator

Navigator Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Hmm, that's weird right?
    Those are the guys hitting you from behind (lets say) and it costs me points.

11. PanVlk

PanVlk Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    The game has no way to accurately assign blame in case of car to car incidents. It's been discussed multiple times in the past, that the most fair solution is currently to assign equal incident points to both parties, because there would just be too many cases where any automatic mechanism fails and assign incident points only to a victim, if it was doing any judgements.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  12. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    The reputation is linked to the average number of incident points you get, so to have a high rep you have to consistently get low Inc points. So for example if someone usually gets 25 points but in one race they get 5 points they will see a gain rep. Same way a person who usually gets 5 points but has a race where they get 10 will see a loss in rep. Over time your rep will accurately reflect how cleanly you drive.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Navigator

Navigator Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Thanks guys, I get it a lot better now!

It is a shame though; I can understand there is no "scrutineering" on colliding. However; someone bumping another in the rear in the obvious braking zone, should be an easy one, right?

Anyway, I'm now totally done with online racing.
    I tried to "get my numbers up" to be able to join races as I wanted.
    I also thought those "ranked" servers or rookie servers, were a bit more clean; it's NOT!

Just a moment ago, in a crowded F3 at Silverstone......WOW!
    You are just avoiding other cars all the time, not to get incident points. They go off and come back T-boning others.
    A guy just messed up a corner right after start finish and I could easily overtake him, clean also.
    The next corner, he braked way to late, hitting me. So I get points......
    Then the hairpin; he waited for me to steer in, bumped in the back of me and kept pushing. I get points again and also for being offtrack.
    So all my hard work from the last days is gone to hell by some asshole who can't live with his own fault.

Now I know why I always hated online and it's the same thing here, again.
    Damn, what a joke and what an assholes are out there.

Just now able to see the results, remember: I did nothing wrong!
    16 incident points!
    rating -39,8
    reputation -15,4! Setting me back to 72........

For ONE dildo that broke my car, pushed me off, bumped me, hit me......I can't take place in a normal race; it's a f*cking joke!

Last edited: Dec 9, 2020
  14. Navigator

Navigator Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Well I thought I was a bit quick with my decision so I tried one other time, at the Zandvoort track where it went "okay" normally.
    Right away the same thing......a guy messing up a corner, I overtake, he's coming at me, trying to bump me whenever he can.
    So I had to brake late, later and very late in order not to get hit.
    Then, last two corners at the track; someone overshot the first and went through the gravel, loosing lots of speed.
    He came back before the second corner, I held the inside line, he pekt the outside and right when I was next to him, he came to me hard, sending me into the wall....... It had no use for him to take the inside there as we were almost at the straight; he did that on purpose.

My car was broken so I had to leave the session; getting me so many points........damn.

I said it before and I'll say it again; 98% of the online racers are assholes.
    I payed for the premium pack and some dildo owning one car, that isn't able to drive a simple corner will get ME banned?

15. S. FREDRIKSSON

S. FREDRIKSSON Active Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    How weird that we have so different experiences. In all my ranked multiplayer I have not seen these things at all. I have no problem staying over/around 90 rep and the only times I go down (more than a little) is when I drive to aggressive.

Either I am just lucky and you are just unlucky or something else.
    Do you think that it just might be that some are more incident prone than others and that the Incident Points are a quite good reflection of that?

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Navigator

Navigator Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I have no idea.
    The first 9 or 10 races went well; some bumps, some line crossing, but it always got me more rep and rating (apart from one that cost me just a tiny bit) and I got up to about 1670 and 88,2 in a pretty steady line.

Now this, a few times in a row.......I don't know why.
    Is it my fault; I'm the first to say so, but not in these two cases that have cost me double the points I have earned in all races before.

17. Arthur Spooner

Arthur Spooner Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432 / 0 / -0
    No, it isn't. Please use the search function of this forum to find out why. I'm really getting tired of repeating the OBVIOUS reasons for this over and over again.

Sorry, but it starts to become really annoying after the umpteenth time...

• Like Like x 1
  18. Navigator

Navigator Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Yes mister Spooner, it was more of a thing I thought of when I was writing. Call it rhetorical.
    I see you getting upset about this, but I was not taking you by the vest and demanding an answer from you.
    It wasn't a thing in my mind, not a big question I had and thus I hadn't looked for it.

Now; I will certainly do that.
    Until that time; I have to stand by my train of thought: "hitting someone in the obvious braking zone (straight) from behind, is always the fault of the rear car."
    Why? I actually work in the racing business and come into race control a lot; I see the penalty's given, I know why and I know how race control thinks about this stuff.

But; I will look it up!

19. PanVlk

PanVlk Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    For one thing, there are lots of cases, where hitting the person in front may not be just your fault.

For another thing, lets go over this basic example and see what kind of algorithm you would need to make to automate it.
    To "assign blame when car A hits car B from behind in braking zone", you would need to:
    - define what is a braking zone separately for every car class on every corner of every layout of every circuit.
    - define what is normal braking speed, and what isn't normal braking speed (like car crawling at 2kph to troll) - separately for every car class on every corner of every layout of every circuit
    - isolate the trolling/brake checking above from legitimate reason to slow down based on the circumstances of the car and its surroundings
    - probably do 100 other things to account for all sorts of edge cases

Good luck programing this and defining all the parameters.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Navigator

Navigator Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I agree; that will be a lot of work, but so is:
    - 3D- modelling a car
    - 3D- modelling a track
    - Coding AI
    - painting cars and tracks
    - making the AI run/ giving physics
    - making the whole game alltogether

So, if things are "to much work", they shouldn't make a game but go on welfare.

Thing is; I rather get a penalty when I hit someone from behind even though it wasn't my fault, than getting one every race because of hero's trying to win the race in the first corner.

BTW; coding- or setting parameters for each track, each car for braking zone's; get that info from the AI ;)

• Disagree Disagree x 3
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.