Time of gear change?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Munty, Dec 13, 2020.

1. Munty

Munty New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I've been playing about with some new hardware over thee last couple of weeks, and today I bolted on the H shifft/S shifft box. The fanatec stuff is just lovely, expensive, but lovely.

Firing up R3, making the required settings and running through a couple of AI races was interesting, the most noticeable is what a disadvantage I have with the shifter compared to paddles. I expected a difference, but not 20 grid places.

Now, I don't have legs that work so my throttle and brake are on the wheel and I don't have a useable clutch, the shifter is by my right hand which is responsible for the throttle so my gear changes are slightly longer than they would be with 4 working limbs. But when racing the cars that are meant to run with H and S shifters I can't see or hear the gear shifts taking any time at all, in a straight line I'm left for dead. I can change gear with the shifter in just over .1 of a second so the AI must have paddles fitted?!

These cars need a tweak to make gear changes more realistic. To help the minority in my position it would be great to be able to set an AI gear change time so I can at least run on a level playing ground, and hear them mess it up now and then. I don't want to lower the AI skill, that just messes up all the corners.

Some other games with Stock cars and old manual changers have the same problem, it's not just RE3, I will be contacting them too.

Over to you folks, what do you think? Anything valuable here? Any and all ideas welcome. :eek:)

2. FeltHλt

FeltHλt Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +479 / 0 / -0
    Whats the car you use? In some cases (eg NSU), manual clutch is faster than autoclutch, that might be the source of the problem

3. PanVlk

PanVlk Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    I think majority of the difference is not due to the AI shifting to quickly, but due to the limitation from your disability.

As you say you are operating the throttle with the same arm you're using for the shifting, which means there is a delay between the shift and the subsequent throttle application amounting to time it takes you to move the arm from the shifter to the throttle and apply the throttle. You may be able to do it quickly, but when upshifting, you will probably still be losing a lot of time, because for the whole duration of moving the arm to the shifter and back, you are off the throttle and slowing down.

On the straights especially the impact of this extra delay may be significant, as the drag will be slowing down the car a lot during the off-throttle period.

4. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    As above, your setup is likely adding a delay to getting back on the gas. A dog box manual needs only the tiniest lift of the throttle when shifting up the gears.

5. BeefMcQueen

BeefMcQueen Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +183 / 0 / -0
    What's your throttle lever like on the steering wheel @Munty ? Do you use the digital shift paddle, i.e. throttle on/off, or do you have an analogue device for the hand throttle? I just had a really weird idea and actually found someone on the internet who has already made this very idea a reality. So if you are somewhat handy, this could be an alternative for you, so you don't have to take your hand off the throttle when changing gears. I can imagine, that you're very used to your current setup and you probably put in many hours of practising to get to that point. But maybe it's worth thinking about other alternatives aswell. https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-write-ups-39/cable-hand-throttle-118990/

Oli